Ti and R series PG sub torture tests

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
GlasSman

Ti and R series PG sub torture tests

Post by GlasSman »

Lets kick some life into this forum!

I just happened to do a search for PG to find some reviews on the current gear and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSm5PU4EZJo

:clap:
////Alpine/PhoenixGold/MBQuart/ImageDynamics/Soundstream
Kirghiz

Re: Ti and R series PG sub torture tests

Post by Kirghiz »

Interestingly enough, I blew one of my Ti2 10's a couple weeks ago. I have four of them running off an Elite.1 that sees a clean 15 volts, so I figure they are getting every bit of 3,000 watts rms. I just made it down to my dealer's yesterday thinking I was going to be buying a new sub, because blown subs are always user error. They had me crank it for a bit to see if it was blown, and if so, it was just the one. He stuck his ear right up against it and said, "it isn't blown, it just has a rattle, but I'm going to swap it out". Once he got it out of the box he found the rattle. The glue that holds down a piece of plastic over the spider had come loose, and that plastic was flapping against the spider. They instantly declared that it wasn't my fault, the driver had a defect, and swapped it out free. They had never seen a driver have an issue like that, and they sell a bunch, so it was one of those one in a thousand things. I was ecstatic.

The voice coils on the driver were absolutely pristine looking, no discoloration at all. This on a good 750 watts rms. If not for over excursion you could probably put a good 1000 watts rms on those Ti2 drivers without burning the voice coils.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Drock

Post by Drock »

I just had a similar issue. I thought one of my old ti10" was blown, turns out the tab that the tinsel lead wire is soldered to was slightly bent inward making the lead wire just long enough to contact the cone.
I was literally ready to toss it out, then I thought I'd check it over one last time. So glad I did.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Kirghiz wrote:Interestingly enough, I blew one of my Ti2 10's a couple weeks ago. I have four of them running off an Elite.1 that sees a clean 15 volts, so I figure they are getting every bit of 3,000 watts rms. I just made it down to my dealer's yesterday thinking I was going to be buying a new sub, because blown subs are always user error. They had me crank it for a bit to see if it was blown, and if so, it was just the one. He stuck his ear right up against it and said, "it isn't blown, it just has a rattle, but I'm going to swap it out". Once he got it out of the box he found the rattle. The glue that holds down a piece of plastic over the spider had come loose, and that plastic was flapping against the spider. They instantly declared that it wasn't my fault, the driver had a defect, and swapped it out free. They had never seen a driver have an issue like that, and they sell a bunch, so it was one of those one in a thousand things. I was ecstatic.

The voice coils on the driver were absolutely pristine looking, no discoloration at all. This on a good 750 watts rms. If not for over excursion you could probably put a good 1000 watts rms on those Ti2 drivers without burning the voice coils.
Awesome bro!
Drock

Post by Drock »

Nothing like making a guys day when your expecting to shell out cash and then find out its on the house .