Anybody have experience with 8" subs?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
gfunk_nz

Re: Anybody have experience with 8" subs?

Post by gfunk_nz »

I run my 4 8's in 2.7ft3 gross, certainly nowhere near 4 cuft, that is what I was looking at to do a pair of 12's ported
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Sundown recommends 1 cube per sub, but if you didn't have them inverted you'd be looking at 3.5 at any rate. My Elites are in 3.5, so it still applies.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
gfunk_nz

Post by gfunk_nz »

They recommend .75ft3 ported and displacement is only .08 per sub so even subs in the box for all four it's only an extra .32ft5. If I had the depth inside the box I would need to make my box 3ft5 for the same air space they have now.
I'm not doubting the elite's are great subs, but just trying to point out that 8's can be used to great effect with the right box and sub. I tried some RE 8's when I was the RE importer, they did pretty well but reached mechanical excursion limits pretty easily.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

IMO 8" is a fantastic woofer but not much of a sub... With everything done right yes you can surprise yourself and others but that is not too say that there will not come a time not long after completion where you wished for a couple extra inches(that's what she said).
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
gfunk_nz

Post by gfunk_nz »

That had always been the case with previous builds for me, I've run from 8's up to 21's even in the past, but these haven't ever had me wanting for more. It's one of those things I could try to describe them till I'm blue in the face but like anything it's personal opinion of course and really like anything they would have to be heard to form ones own opinion.
I'm am now curious for my own sake to see how they meter at the low end compared to where I would tune for SPL.
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

Kirghiz wrote:Sundown recommends 1 cube per sub, but if you didn't have them inverted you'd be looking at 3.5 at any rate. My Elites are in 3.5, so it still applies.
Sundown actually recommends 0.5 to 0.75 cuft for ported, so a box for 4 could be anywhere from 2 cuft to 3 cuft.
PG recommends 1.75 cuft (spl) to 3 cuft (sq) for a ported elite 12, so a pair needs 3.5cuft to 6 cuft.
Your box is larger and you are at the smallest size recommended, the sa8 box is close to its largest recommended size & could be notably smaller.

I'm sure your PGs are loud, but I bet that SA8 setup would surprise you.

ttocs wrote:IMO 8" is a fantastic woofer but not much of a sub... With everything done right yes you can surprise yourself and others but that is not too say that there will not come a time not long after completion where you wished for a couple extra inches(that's what she said).
I will agree to disagree. There are a lot of 8's that can't hold a candle to a larger sub, but that does not apply to every 8" sub out there. I ran a single Audiopulse Epic 8" in a .4cuft ported enclosure tuned to 28hz, which is a 600w sub, and it was shockingly loud and hit low with authority. Even after seeing it people still wouldn't believe it was a single 8" making all that noise. I love loud music & bass, and that 8" never left me wanting more.
There are a handful of 8's out there that can really perform.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

agreed that there are some 8's that can go a little lower then the other but by large the majority of 8" woofers will leave you wanting more.
ajaye

Post by ajaye »

The limits of what you can achieve with a small(er), sensitive driver in a well thought out enclosure are pretty extensive. Bose pretty much cornered an entire consumer market on that principle, however uninformed they may be. Now how linear the reproduction will be is another story (see: Bose). I don't doubt any of you guys about 8s performing so well, the tradeoff is probably you putting a little more time into the enclosure than would have been necessary with a larger driver to achieve the same result, probably not something that matters to anyone reading this but that may be a factor for joe jerkoff trying to cobble a box together.

I also think there is something to be said for all of your experiences probably having been in different vehicles...
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

If you wanted to put an 8" sub in a T-Line enclosure, you'd basically have a gigantic Bose Wave radio. :lol:
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
itchnertamatoa
Itchy Tomato

Post by itchnertamatoa »

here are some pics of the Neo8 ...
Attachments
neo8 vs PPI Pro 8
neo8 vs PPI Pro 8
DSC_0424 mini.jpg
DSC_0421 mini.jpg
[url=http://www.phoenixphorum.com][img]http://phoenixphorum.com/templates/Titanium/images/logo.jpg[/img][/url]
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Kirghiz wrote:If you wanted to put an 8" sub in a T-Line enclosure, you'd basically have a gigantic Bose Wave radio. :lol:

A lot of highs - and no lows - gotta be bose... An oold industry joke.
Treesive

Post by Treesive »

Quality 8's like the old tc epic 8 or soundsplinter orphan 8 are the perfect subs for passive radiators builds and can become low end monsters.
SYSTEM:

Pioneer 80PRS
Us Amps 4300x (Upgrading to Elite.1) On its way!!
Us Amps 400x (Upgrading to Elite.4)
2X Soundsplinter rl-p 12" (Upgrading to Audiopulse lms Ultra 15)
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

ajaye wrote: the tradeoff is probably you putting a little more time into the enclosure than would have been necessary with a larger driver to achieve the same result, probably not something that matters to anyone reading this but that may be a factor for joe jerkoff trying to cobble a box together.
Well said.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Are those PPI Pro 8's any good? I own one (or at least I did at one point, and don't know where it is now), but have never used it in anything.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

I used the 10's when they came out it was in my 1968 vw so the fiber cone has a odd sound to it vs most normal subs
than I went to jl 12w3 the first week they came out
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I had a set of Pro 12's in my vehicle for a few years, and you are correct about the "odd sound" of them. I think they sounded good, but just had a strange buzz to them when your ear was close. My box was also way too small for them, but was designed for woofers I could not afford at the time and was saving my money to purchase.

I am more curious about the output of the 8's, as they have a huge motor for an 8, so I figured they would out perform the 12's on an inch by inch basis.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Sugar Ray Leonard was far and away a better boxer than Mike Tyson pound for pound, but put the two in the ring and you'd be lying if you said you wouldn't bet on Tyson.

pound for pound or inch for inch comparisons don't tell you much.
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

The original PPI Pro 8's were great subs, I can remember being very impressed by their capabilities.
But based by today's standards, I cannot say how impressive they are but I'm sure they are still pretty high on the list.
I'd rock them, but probably need a pair to stay happy with them.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I am thinking that having just one Pro 8 is not going to do me much good.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

I knew a guy in high school (circa 1993-ish) who had an Eclipse with 4 Solobaric 8s and DAAAAAMMNNN!!! That was the cleanest, tightest bass you ever heard. And it was LOUD. I do not remember what he was using for amplifiers, but it could have been Orion HCCA. This thread reminded of that.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

if they were kickers and sounded good then you know they had hella power going to them. That was my only complaint about kicker is that they needed big boxes and big power to sound good. My only other complaint is that it seems anytime you hear the word kicker, it is followed by the word "comp".
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

ttocs wrote:if they were kickers and sounded good then you know they had hella power going to them. That was my only complaint about kicker is that they needed big boxes and big power to sound good. My only other complaint is that it seems anytime you hear the word kicker, it is followed by the word "comp".
Usually when I hear the word Kicker (out in the real world) it is followed by a guy showing me some Sony xplod, Pioneer, or Dual subs.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

do they even sell it in stores now? I thought they ditched all their dealers and were trying to sell directly to the customer?