New sub ideas

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
todd217

New sub ideas

Post by todd217 »

I'm looking for ideas for a for a new sub. It has to be a 12 and work well in 1 cube any play plenty low . I have an elite5 for power.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Re: New sub ideas

Post by Eric D »

My favorite sub is still the old Boston 12.5LF. They are rare, but they work great in only 1cuft of space, and the sub channel of an Elite.5 would be a great match for one.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
todd217

Post by todd217 »

I have a boston g5 right now off a zx500 and there is no bottom end when I play zeppelin. I saw some 12.5 on eBay and they used to be reasonable but these were 300ish and climbing.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

http://intl.jlaudio.com/12w7ae-3-car-au ... vers-92115

:violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin:

i'm also a die hard boston pro lover, still have my both 12.4lf's...........former model of the 12.5lf

but the jl audio W7 series is an amazing replacement for them....... you'll get a simular sound......

i listened to one 13W7 and it gois even lower then my former boston subs.......you'll need at least 4 boston 12inch to match the output......

if you can ever get you're hands on one of the W7 series, don't hesitate....

also the W6 series play great, but not as low and much output as the W7 series......
todd217

Post by todd217 »

My box eliminates a lot off ones. I like the fact that it sits tucked away in the corner and leaves almost all of my trunk open.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

todd217 wrote:My box eliminates a lot off ones. I like the fact that it sits tucked away in the corner and leaves almost all of my trunk open.
i looked over the fact that you just had 1 cuft of space......

http://intl.jlaudio.com/12w6v3-d4-car-a ... vers-92141

this new jl sub works well in that enclosure, due to the recommanded enclosure.......
todd217

Post by todd217 »

zeropoint0.5 wrote:
todd217 wrote:My box eliminates a lot off ones. I like the fact that it sits tucked away in the corner and leaves almost all of my trunk open.
i looked over the fact that you just had 1 cuft of space......

http://intl.jlaudio.com/12w6v3-d4-car-a ... vers-92141

this new jl sub works well in that enclosure, due to the recommanded enclosure.......
Yes but for the price of a w6 I can get a morel ultimo sc.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Look into the Image Dynamics IDMAX 10" or 12" ...have ran both sizes and to this day is my favorite sub besides the old-skool TI subs. Make sure if you do get one that it's the v3 version as the company changed owners and haven't heard anything about the v4.
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
todd217

Post by todd217 »

I liked my idmax when I had it a lot but I'm worried my box is too small. My leading idea right now is to find a pair of rsd12 and run them isobaric which solves there need for a large box.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

dvnt88 wrote:Look into the Image Dynamics IDMAX 10" or 12" ...have ran both sizes and to this day is my favorite sub besides the old-skool TI subs. Make sure if you do get one that it's the v3 version as the company changed owners and haven't heard anything about the v4.
Don't those use a plastic basket? I heard they have a lot of flex considering the power they run.

I'm running an IDQ12v3 in a box slightly smaller than 1cuft and it sounds great. I have way more power for it than it's rated for and it has crazy loud capabilities.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

^^^^ It's a composite basket similar to fiberglass, but much more rigid. The new v4's use a steel basket as the v3's were prone to cracking / fracturing from people who over powered / used the wrong box type / size with the sub :doh: . I have a v3D4 IDMAX12 in the stash that will be used soon and besides the old-skool TI subs are the only subs I will run because the SQ sounds sooooooo damn good and very versatile box applications. :twisted:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I could be wrong, but I doubt any composite sub basket can crack from overpowering the sub, or the wrong box type. Cracks would most likely be due to stress from mounting to a carpet covered surface, or too thick of gasket material, or just plain mounting it to a non flat surface (I have seen plenty of these before). Using oversize screws, or tightening them too much would stress a basket as well.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

Eric D wrote:My favorite sub is still the old Boston 12.5LF. They are rare, but they work great in only 1cuft of space, and the sub channel of an Elite.5 would be a great match for one.
Still rocking my 12.5 in a cube!! I don't think you can go wrong here.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Eric D wrote:I could be wrong, but I doubt any composite sub basket can crack from overpowering the sub, or the wrong box type. Cracks would most likely be due to stress from mounting to a carpet covered surface, or too thick of gasket material, or just plain mounting it to a non flat surface (I have seen plenty of these before). Using oversize screws, or tightening them too much would stress a basket as well.
Could it have been happening from people not screwing them down in a star configuration? I always do it, but I have seen people just start at one hole and just move around the sub. If they over tighten I could see it cracking a composite basket.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
audiophyle_247

Post by audiophyle_247 »

Fi.Q is a great sub & should fit your box requirements well.
http://store.ficaraudio.com/q12/

Alpine's type X subs had composite framing behind the cones that used to crack & break all the time when people pushed them too hard. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a composite basket breaking under heavy usage, and even more so when mounted uncarefully.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Even the largest subwoofers don't put much stress on their baskets from heavy use. Yes, the voice coil is pushing against the structure constantly, and with millions upon millions of cycles. This force is evenly distributed though, and unless the basket is a totally terrible design, it will handle it fine.

Consider this though. If you mount a speaker vertically in a box in a vehicle, the motor structure is hanging off the basket with an uneven force pushing sideways all the time on the basket. On big subs, big motors easily put enough stress on the composite basket to break it from environmental movement (bumps in the road for example, or dropping a speaker box into a vehicle).

Rockford tried some composite baskets one time where they never failed in the test lab under extreme power and even different thermal conditions, but only a few weeks in employees' vehicles and the motors literally broke right off the basket.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

A ti12d just popped up and ebay and I grabbed it it was more than I thought it was worth but we will see.
todd217

Post by todd217 »

I installed a single rsd12d today powered it up with the elite5 and holy shit. I ran an rsd12 b4 and was not this happy. I don't know if it's the fact that this time it's in the corner of the trunk or that I'm feeding it just a little more power than b4.
Drock

Post by Drock »

Nice. I'm building an enclosure for my ti12. Picked it up for bnib a few weeks ago for $90. It's a sv 4ohm.
Going to run an elite.5 in my new work trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk