Possible solution for replacement ZPA plexi

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
vwdude

Possible solution for replacement ZPA plexi

Post by vwdude »

So anyone with a ZPA amp that has tried to get a replacement plexi knows that it's virtually impossible.

Vinyl can't be cut with the thin lines an details in the original logo. I had a shop make a logo that's close, but it's not good enough for me.

So I have new blanks right now and a guy has a solution. I don't want to reveal what the process is, but if it works I will have an example by next week to share. If it does work it probably will only work in white, not the gold ones.

I will likely have to pay up the a$$ to have them create a vector file of the logo, but the more that I have done the cheaper average it will be. Once I have it done, I'll see if anyone wants in to help share the costs. Once again, not looking to see if anyone wants in yet as I don't know how it wil come out.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
vwdude

Re: Possible solution for replacement ZPA plexi

Post by vwdude »

Ok so I got them back. I think they got better as they made them, this was the first...I'll get pics of the others later.

The bottom one is the replacement. I know it's not perfect but it's the best solution I've found so far.
J.Wright

Post by J.Wright »

These look really good
System in progress...
Silverhorse

Post by Silverhorse »

Looks good!
I prefer clear plexi with gold logo, is this so difficult to make?
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I would say that it IS difficult due to the fine details in the squiggly line. Actually some of the details are missing from this batch. I'd have them add it for the next batch. If you have it cut from vinyl then you wouldn't get such fine details. It might be acceptable but won't meet the expectations of the more hardcore collectors.

Clear is easy. Gold is not. The problem is, with this method the logo is not clear but etched, so the gold would not look glossy but rather it would look frosted.

The original method, we suspect, was done using a hot press to "stamp" in the logo using gold leaf. To do that again it'd cost lots of money. He machine itself is expensive plus making the dye would be costly. The method for this is much easier, but you are limited in the outcome.

All 4 of these amps have replacement plexi. The one pictured above was a tester piece and wasn't as good as these.
Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

How did it og with the plexi and how much did it cost you to have one made?
zpa0.5(V210245)
zpa0.3(00618)
zx600ti x2
600titanium
zx400ti
sd500.4
XSC5 x2
pld1
sdt-ti
tba
bass cube
tld66
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Well good and bad. Some come out great while others have flaws (like chips when the countersink is drilled). It's good enough for me, but I'm no longer willing to have it done for anyone else. Too much hassle for me (and I lost money because I had to have one remade, which I still need to ship out).

It costs me around $80 to have them made. I had to pay for the artwork to be done, and a few plexi panels were sacrificed in the process of perfecting it. I'm also finding that they can chip when the countersink is drilled.