Opinions on older PG sub amp selection.

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
machinemike

Opinions on older PG sub amp selection.

Post by machinemike »

Hi, looking for help selecting a sub amp. Ones I am considering are m100, zx500, ms2125, and ms2250. Looking for reliable clean power. I have a zx450v2 for mids and tweets. Lening toward m100, had a m25 at one time and loved how it would run hard reliably. Also what should I figure on paying for a ms or m? Doesn't have to look nice, just work. Thanks.
Current project: 2003 dodge ram 2500 qclb 4x4 h.o. diesel 6 speed
Planning to use most of my old stuff and buy some new.
Kicker r25 tweets with silver flute 6.5s front and rear active running off two zx450s. Two mid 90s 12" kicker comp vr subs that I need to replace the surrounds on running off ti800.1, may swap out to zx500, still need to get a cap and various other stuff.
Mr. Wild

Re: Opinions on older PG sub amp selection.

Post by Mr. Wild »

I would choose ZX500 to match the zx450. Soundwise all mentioned amps are the same. If you need even more power then an MS2250 is the winner.
--
M50, MS275, MPS2500, ZX450, ZPA0.3
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

I agree w mr wild, id stick w a zx500 to have a matching set. She will do at least double what a m25. Plus they are cheaper than a ms2250 and m100. Which both are highly sought after right now.
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

I agree also
machinemike

Post by machinemike »

Any idea what a cosmetically unattractive zx500 would be? I don't mind recapping. Bought my zx450 for $102.50. Ugly but works, caps don't even leak, although I am going to replace them for peace of mind.
Kicker r25 tweets with silver flute 6.5s front and rear active running off two zx450s. Two mid 90s 12" kicker comp vr subs that I need to replace the surrounds on running off ti800.1, may swap out to zx500, still need to get a cap and various other stuff.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

machinemike wrote:Any idea what a cosmetically unattractive zx500 would be? I don't mind recapping. Bought my zx450 for $102.50. Ugly but works, caps don't even leak, although I am going to replace them for peace of mind.
caps don't even leak :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

let me wake you up my friend, before you have to meet reality of it....

all of those caps leak....all of them...but you can't see it before you take them off........

you better recap it today then tomorrow....before it is too late......

about the sub amp indeed you should find a pair of zx500 for the price of a M100/ms2125 in mint condition.......

then you have around the same power as one ms2250 (who needs the shroud)

the advantage of the zx500 is being fan cooled.....

a pair of them installed like a zx950 takes up maybe less space then a ms2250with shroud.....for same power.....

what also is another good option is a zpa0.3.... modded even better then one zx500...................
machinemike

Post by machinemike »

That is why I stated earlier that I am going to recap it. Its sitting on a shelf waiting for me to order parts, figured if I buy another sub amp, might as well wait and do all at once. I do have my old ti800.1, don't think it will fit in my truck with the other stuff I am planning, plus I always had trouble with the 800.1 going into thermal protect all the time which I understand happens with those amps. Is there any way to prevent the thermal problems with the 800.1? When I was using it I had additional fans to cool it and still had problems.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

machinemike wrote:That is why I stated earlier that I am going to recap it. Its sitting on a shelf waiting for me to order parts, figured if I buy another sub amp, might as well wait and do all at once. I do have my old ti800.1, don't think it will fit in my truck with the other stuff I am planning, plus I always had trouble with the 800.1 going into thermal protect all the time which I understand happens with those amps. Is there any way to prevent the thermal problems with the 800.1? When I was using it I had additional fans to cool it and still had problems.

What ohm load were you running the 800.1 @? I ask as I've ran several with no issues, but never run them (any of the TI amps) below a 2ohm bridged load even though the manual states it can handle 1ohm (this is per my conversation with Alek (Altser) ...RIP brother) and that is coming from PG's head repair tech for 20+ years repairing every series of amp PG ever made.
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
machinemike

Post by machinemike »

2 ohm load. Ran same pair of sub's off 2 other amps and never had the problem. Before 800.1 ran them off rear of zx475ti. Then ran them off sub channel of kicker 700.5 after a car body repair guy destroyed my 475.
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

Maybe the internal fan was bad. It doesn't matter if you run external fans, those won't cool your heat sinks, which are under the outside cover. That cover just prevents are from getting to right parts of the fan is dead or weak.

The thermal sensor could also be compromised. It's basically a variable resistor where the resistance increases with temperature. If it's damaged them it could shut the amp off prematurely.

I think it's more likely that the fan isnt working right.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
machinemike

Post by machinemike »

I always had the problem from new, sent amp to pg for warranty, they said it was OK. Maybe I will put higher cfm fans while I am working on the other amp too. Perhaps I should put a thermal probe in the amp to see what temps actually are when running? This is the only pg amp I or any of my friends had that was so easy to thermal.
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

If you really want a sub amp, why not looking for something class D ??

if you can find an elite.1 for example ??

or a ti2 2000.1;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
machinemike

Post by machinemike »

I am familiar with and like the older made in us PG amps. Don't really know much about the newer ones, especially don't know of anything that makes them significantly better or different than other brands now. Not trying to start something. Just trying to stick with a known quality unit that I may be slightly attached to.