Landmark personal memories in car audio

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
6ix

Landmark personal memories in car audio

Post by 6ix »

Detail anything which still sticks in your mind as memorable moments in your car audio journey...

The first time I ever heard a system was in a friends quickly and badly set up car. There was a lot of hiss from the trebles. Yet when the 15" parcel mounted sub kicked in my mind was blown and changed forever. I had no idea anything like this was possible in a car. To this day even this terrible instal amazed me more than anything since. Listening to much better systems is great of course. But nothing compares to going from nothing at all to the shock of your first sub BOOM!

The first time I fired up my own system in the mid nineties was quite an amazing time. Feeling the bass effortlessly flow through me was a lot of fun. I spent that whole summer cruising around, grinning like mad. This was a golden age. Young enough to feel like a kid with no responsibilities, but old enough to have freedom, great audio toys and fun with girls. What a great time :)

The first time I went to a high end car audio shop was a real eye opener. I saw and heard Dynaudio, Phoenix Gold ZPA amps, JL W6 subs, a whole world of high end candy. I suddenly realised how poor I felt. Lots of saving up to do!

Ps

Lots of my systems got progressively better sounding, but also smaller and more sensible. Sometimes I think going back to the older systems might be more fun.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Landmark personal memories in car audio

Post by ttocs »

I can remember the first system I ever heard. It was in a mustang convertable and actually featured a rt 66 amp with a complete custom system and set into motion the monster that is before us now.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

mine was a Saab show car with a Frank amp n stein and a son of
like 6 15" strokers
than I met the guy and our team him 6 15" dr crank comps.
that car was so heavy with item he kept damaging transmissions as the car was a saab turbo
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Stravus

Post by Stravus »

I dont remember the first system I ever heard but I remember the first I one I had. I had 2 Crunch 10's in an Isobaric push pull box complete with purple neons pushed with an Alphasonik 2150 with the 80's graphics. Wish I had kept the amp instead of selling several years later. The sad part was I just used a Blaupunkt hu that was a cassette player I dont remember which model to push the cheap Pioneer 2 way speakers I picked up from no telling where.
NOT 2 OLD YET

Post by NOT 2 OLD YET »

Easy one for me! Getting my first win at a SQ show in Chicago! All PG build. It was a great day to take a first place. It makes you appreciate more all the work and thought in your install. And of course a lot of damn money back then.
Collection And Still Growing:
M-100, 50,2,44s, and 25
RT 66 #0840, Outlaw#1005, Bandit#1884, MQ430
MS2125, MS275, MS 2250 W/shroud 3MPS2500, 2 MPS2240 Custom MPS4740
EQ215, EQ215ix,EQ 230 W/TBAt, ZX600TI, 400TI, TI500.4
2 PLD1, MX2, 2 Leather Team PG Jackets
TBA (Dealer Display Empty Guts)10'XS Subs
AX204, 406 (New In Box)
Eclipse ECD413 + DSP1001 , 2 JL 8W6
Installed: PG MPS2500 and Modified By PG MQ430
ZBB34TI With ZRDT3, and RMD
Audison Bit 10
PG Elite and Sapphire 6.5 Comps
JL 13TW5 subs
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I don't recall the first system I heard but the first show system I heard what my buddies 96 impala with a pioneer head unit (he eventually,upgraded to a p1r when they came out) with a zx450 powering Polk audio components and a zx500 powering a trio or 12w6 in a custom bandpass box.

Looking back, it wasn't anything special compared to the systems I've done, but it started my love affair with pg.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

its funny but I can also remember the first time I saw PG stuff for sale. The dealer(I later worked for) had a neat display with the amps under glass on the floor and I can remember that i was afraid to stand above the PG amps. They were just too expensive and too nice. There was one of each of the M amps under it and I remember seeing the prices and thinking that they were nuts!
NotDeafYet

Post by NotDeafYet »

I remember getting a ticket from a military cop... He heard me before he saw me.. And since they have absolutely nothing better to do other than to give speeding tickets for doing 4km/h over the limit.. I still took it as a compliment. That was 20 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Believe it or not, but the first system I ever heard was Axle Rose's full size '89 Ford Branco in 1990. My mom is good friends with his mom and step-dad. I had a dentist appointment one day so they planned a surprise for me to see/hear the truck.

Subs are unknown, but the amp/amps where PG MS/MPS series.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
6ix

Post by 6ix »

That is pretty amazing. I bet so many musicians have owned some amazing set ups at home and in their cars, boats and planes.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

they probably did but I wonder how many of them really cared or knew what went into it? Another landmark day for me in car audio was the first day I went to work in Scottsdale installing. You can imagine that while installing in southern indiana that I got a LOT of chevy/ford/dodge/ trucks and even some tractors but the most exotic thing we really got in there was a BMW. There was not a lot of custom work either unless you count putting a 6.5 if a 5x7 opening... Day one at streamline audio in scottsdale they back out two BMW M8's they installed K40 radars at $1800 each and then pull in a brand spankin new 911 carerra 4 twin turbo with every option. We spent two days on that 911 to install a nice simple little system but it required a metal amp rack to be welded up and a fiberglass sub box, all focal speakers and xtant amps. Sounded freaking amazing and it should have for the $4500 labor they got for it on top of the gear. Now any of us that came to pick up our new 911 with a bad ass custom stereo would be excited right? This dude could have cared less just threw down his amex black card and went as far as to say it didn't sound bad at all........ I was constantly amazed at what happened there as it was the exact polar opposite of working in indiana.
6ix

Post by 6ix »

That is just sad. I suppose spoiled brats don't appreciate anything!
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

kg1961 wrote:mine was a Saab show car with a Frank amp n stein and a son of
like 6 15" strokers
that car was so heavy with item he kept damaging transmissions as the car was a saab turbo

Dude! That was me and my car! I went through 4 transmissions and called it quits. LOL. I had 8, Comp 15" Dr.Crankensteins. 1, Frank. 1, Son of Frank. 2, MS 2125. EQ 230. Bass Cube. Epi Center. Line driver. AX 406 crossover. 5, batteries. 4, 1.2 farad capacitors. MB Quart 3way up front with Musi Comp xovers. MB Quart coax rear fill with Musi Comp xovers. All equipment were powder coated to match the Frank and Son of Frank.
Cheers!
KillerBox

Post by KillerBox »

My 1st memory of car stereo was I at 15 years old bought am used Nakamichi TD 300 cassette deck from one of my brother's friend. It only had RCA's out and I wired up some speakers wires to the RCA plugs to power my speakers. Needless to say nothing happened.

So I bought a black PPI 2075m amp, after 30 minutes this amp would get so hot that you could fry eggs on it but, I was hooked. It was installed in stereo to four 10" Coustic subs.

Those Coustic subs were the toughest subs that I have ever owned. I abused them as much as possible and they never tore up.

My next car (which I still own 1989 Ford Probe with 77,000 miles) I installed two MS-250, Soundstream x-over, JBL mids and highs, MTX Blue Thunder (blue cone) and Alpine CD player. So even back then I wasn't loyal to any particular brand, I bought whatever sounded good and I thought that might last.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

Virtue wrote:
kg1961 wrote:mine was a Saab show car with a Frank amp n stein and a son of
like 6 15" strokers

Dude! That was me and my car! I went through 4 transmissions and called it quits. LOL. I had 8, Comp 15" Dr.Crankensteins. 1, Frank. 1, Son of Frank. 2, MS 2125. EQ 230. Bass Cube. Epi Center. Line driver. AX 406 crossover. 5, batteries. 4, 1.2 farad capacitors. MB Quart 3way up front with Musi Comp xovers. MB Quart coax rear fill with Musi Comp xovers. All equipment were powder coated to match the Frank and Son of Frank.
Cheers!

that funny I worked with Dean at a b sound in the south when we sent a couple of your cranks out.. I had the light blue 68 bettle
you lived in parkland or something like that..lol
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport