Polyfill or EQ

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Bchester6

Polyfill or EQ

Post by Bchester6 »

So if I've got a sub that recommends 1 cubic foot in a sealed enclosure but I only can give it .90. What does polyfill do that is different than compensation through an equalizer? This is strictly for the lower bass notes (30-40hz) that cannot be achieved due to less than optimum air space. Why is boosting at these desired frequencies a problem to offset the deficit? or not? Just trying to plot a course on an install and need to educate myself on the challenges ahead...
Ps: The internet is full of garbage concerning this matter.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Re: Polyfill or EQ

Post by Eric D »

Polyfill makes a box seem larger than it is. In your case, if you have 0.9cuft, and need 1.0cuft, polyfill is a great option.

Adding the polyfill in this case will improve the efficiency (output) of the subwoofer.

The difference between this and instead boosting an EQ is the boost in EQ will force your amplifier to run out of gain (it will clip the signal), and you will get significant distortion sooner.

Physical solutions are almost always better than using an EQ.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

agreed yet I have always found you can turn the bass cube off if you want. Poly fill is cheap I say do both.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

So I did the Poly Fill and it made an audible difference. The results were surprisingly more satisfactory than the eq boost. I found that the boosting of selected frequencies was kind of "artificial" sounding and almost forced to achieve the sound I was looking for. Never used this product because I've never had to build an enclosure below recommended specs. Good good. Thanks guys.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

I think just buy my audison bit one and be done with it
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport