strapping

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

strapping

Post by ttocs »

I am just curious that since they had the master/slave option if anyone here has had any experience with strapping two pg amps together? Just curious myself and wondered what it could do. Wonder if we could get a amp dyno done with with 2 just fer kicks?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Re: strapping

Post by Eric D »

What specific amp are you referring too?
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

I'm pretty sure that the old pg amps that had the master/slave switch were not strappable, I can't remember what the switch was for, but it's described in the old manuals... I'll dig around a bit.

Later,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I noticed even the small 2240 had the master/slave option and a few others. Wasn't that to strap them?
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Nope...it was not for strapping amps together for more power just to sync the switching power supplies (by allowing one amplifier's PWM to run all amps that are strapped together).
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

trickyricky wrote:Nope...it was not for strapping amps together for more power just to sync the switching power supplies (by allowing one amplifier's PWM to run all amps that are strapped together).
am I reading this right? :roll: "....it was not for strapping - that are strapped together?"
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Those sockets on MS series amps are so the power supply PWM controllers can all switch at the same time. One amp becomes the master, and the others all use the masters clock signal. This is to help with AM radio reception (which was a concern back in the day).

It has absolutely nothing to do with the power of the amps, or running them mono, or "strapping" them. If you don't listen to AM radio, it really has little to no use for you.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

A.M. Radio will be king once more!

XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Eric D wrote:Those sockets on MS series amps are so the power supply PWM controllers can all switch at the same time. One amp becomes the master, and the others all use the masters clock signal. This is to help with AM radio reception (which was a concern back in the day).

It has absolutely nothing to do with the power of the amps, or running them mono, or "strapping" them. If you don't listen to AM radio, it really has little to no use for you.
REALLY?! huh thats interesting and funny. On my installer page a few times a year we have someone have a customer come in upset that he can't get XXX on am radio with his new deck. I thought I had heard it was for strapping at one point, for am radio how funny.

Any idea what side the master/slave switch is supposed to be on with the mps2240 and if it will effect output? I found one pop up in good condition but listed as not working last night and went ahead and got it. Its due for caps before I do anything else to it but the board looks really good in the pics.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

If you look in the manuals to these amps (located somewhere on this forum I believe), they explain the master/slave switch and function in great detail. If you run an MS amp with the switch in the slave mode, but do not have a master signal, I believe it will damage the power supply of the amplifier. I think this is the reason PG eventually removed this feature altogether.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

ttocs wrote:
Eric D wrote:Those sockets on MS series amps are so the power supply PWM controllers can all switch at the same time. One amp becomes the master, and the others all use the masters clock signal. This is to help with AM radio reception (which was a concern back in the day).

REALLY?! huh thats interesting and funny. On my installer page a few times a year we have someone have a customer come in upset that he can't get XXX on am radio with his new deck. I thought I had heard it was for strapping at one point, for am radio how funny.

Any idea what side the master/slave switch is supposed to be on with the mps2240 and if it will effect output? I found one pop up in good condition but listed as not working last night and went ahead and got it. Its due for caps before I do anything else to it but the board looks really good in the pics.
Am pretty sure they are all set and recommended to run as "slaves" . Manual also states that IIRC

http://download.phoenixphorum.com/Manua ... 275_lg.pdf
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I also notices in the pics he had the common/floating ground switch in the "common" setting so obviously if he didn't have the outputs wired right it could do it as well. its always a risk buying cheap/damaged stuff so I will see what I get I guess. I went through the manual I found online last night till the end where it showed all the crazy ways the mps stuff could be wired but I did not see anything about the master/slave setting. I might have glanced over it...
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

It looks like there are 3 manuals that talk about this, the MS275, MS250, and the MQ430 manuals. In the MS275, the blue dot (slave) position is mentioned as default. They do explain that changing the switch while operating will void the warranty.

My advice, leave the switch on the blue dot (slave), and do not try using the master/slave sync feature.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

ah see I was looking the 2240's manual, maybe they skipped it there. I wasn't even interested in strapping it just curious if anyone ever did.