custom end caps and plexi

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

custom end caps and plexi

Post by ttocs »

I think I have seen a few different people get some custom plexi/end caps made and I am starting to look for this for the ms1000. I know we have some on here doing it as well as a few others that have had it done and I am not looking to hurt any feelings but would like a nice job done. I will also need to get the end caps plated if anyone has done that before.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ttocs

Re: custom end caps and plexi

Post by ttocs »

I would also like to copy the blue transistor press bars that they came with. I know a local anodizer that can do it but if someone cold help to get a better idea of what kind/type/thickness of material I need it would be great.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I think I found someone for the plexi, and I think I have a local place that can plate the end plates. But I would still love to see an up close pic of the press-bars so I can see what I need to make and still have no idea who can finish the end plates once they are plated.... Any help?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

nobody?
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

you didnt hurt my feelings, but im assuming you arent happy with what ive been doing, so Im not speaking up.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

that is not the case at all. I know there are some people that have had stuff done and I am trying to balance cost/quality and find the best match of the two to get the best results when its done. This is the only chance I will have to own a ms1000 so I want it done right and yet, I am kinda broke.....
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

can anyone think of any special concerns with the press bars? I know of a local anodizer or I could also go powder if he can't do blue but wasn't sure if there was any special concerns to take into consideration with these?
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

It be nice if the transistor clamps/bars have heat sinks like those used in the Xenon amps.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

not sure what those look like but I love the look of the blue/gold on these.
b the look on there I would have to use some kind of clamp bar since it looks like the ms1000 sink is drilled/tapped in a different locations between the transistors then the 2250 in the middle. Looks like I will just get some flatstock aluminum and cut/drill it and have them anodized at my local shop.
trickyricky

Post by trickyricky »

Here's what they look like Scott, they look like little V-block engine and have small heat sink fins on them. You can definitely get these anodized as well and they look pretty rad if you ask me.

Picture is not mine, belongs to Eric (soundbuggy).
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

The only problem is that I am not sure where I can get that by the foot but I know the flatstock aluminum is available at a couple places....
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

Not every grade of aluminum can be anodized. You might be better off talking to your anodizer before you go to the home center or farm store and buy 3' of flat stock. Aside from that, I have remade damaged isolation plates for ZX/ZXti/Ti amps out of 1/8" 6061 aluminum, and I have made clamp bars for amps other than the MS amps (autotek, SS, and PG tantrums) out of 3/16"x1" flat bar and it matches the stock stuff in these amps pretty well. As for the finned extrusion, you can get it, but it's not going to be as easy as finding it in stock at some local supplier and you may not like the price if you have to buy a minimum length. I would personally stick with the flat bar, but I would get it from a metal supplier that knows what alloy you are getting.

Good luck,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have been planning on calling him to ask him those very questions. We have a good metal supplier here that I can get any size/shape/alloy I want. I think I found a place for the nickel plating but waiting to hear back.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I had a place recomended to me for the nickel plating needed for the end caps. They can do it but they have a minimum charge of $150. Does anyone else need anything nickel plated, or know of a place with a lower minimum charge? That didn't even include stripping the end caps so it seems a bit high to me for just the 2 end caps. I will be getting them finished after this so if someone has a nickel with bad end caps hit me up.
Stravus

Post by Stravus »

I have not seen any of the others that have redone ends but I have had Dave do 2 plates off a 2240 for me and he has done a plexi for MS1000 for me. They came out near perfect. The only issue I seen was the neon colored ink was not an exact match which there is not even any of that on the MS1000. I was really impressed.