Demo setting

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Bchester6

Demo setting

Post by Bchester6 »

So I decided to set my crossovers to demo mode which is just another code for "on axis" and sound quality has gotten much better. Keep in mind my speakers are in Factory locations and my Tweeter is in the sail panel. Is this possible or am I suffering from too much salt water in my ears? Sound stage has moved forward the way I like it but should I be concerned with any phasing issues that I'm unaware of? Honestly, this is the first time I've ever run component on axis so I'm a little bit unsure of what to look out for? All input is welcome. Thanks, Brian.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Demo setting

Post by ttocs »

phasing issues - do you mean like hurting the speakers or just sounding different? The only change should be in the sound as everything else will stay the same. I am not all that surprised that it helped the soundstage and probably imagine a little as well I would imagine other then I hate the sail location myself. Its just too close to your ear IMO my mustang has them and I installed my radar detectors speaker in the drivers side and put the tweets in the kicks.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

At first it sounded a bit overwhelming on the drivers side due to sheer proximity and output but I attenuated it -3db and it was a done deal. I guess that I was taught from day 1 (many years ago) that passive crossovers should ALWAYS be set to "off-axis" and that "on-axis" is what the stereo shops use and was an absolute no no for the car.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

you were taught not to do what the shops do? I have never been in a shop that had any rule like that. We would install the speakers and try flipping the tweets to see of we liked it and if we did we left them but most of the time they were in phase.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

Basically I was told that the stereo shops were able to run on axis because the soundboards are directly facing you blah blah... the moral of the story is I think I had a bad teacher when it came to this subject matter. I flipped tweeters and done all that other stuff as well with minimal or no results.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

oh ok in the sound board gotcha. Well yes when the speakers are all on the same plane it is recommended to keep them in phase. While the speakers on the sound board are obviously on the same plane, so is your tweeter/woofer in your door.

Honestly I don't think I have ever installed any gear in my own car or someone elses that if it had a knob, switch, or jumper that effected the sound in some way I played with it to see what it did and what sounded better. If it sounded better I left it.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

I have done a fair share of switch flipping in the past but most all of my A/d/s x-overs has 2 settings to pick from, "car" and "demo"... which by name alone fueled my paranoia and even furthered my misguided/preconceived thoughts. So now I know to flip and ask questions later!:) Any-who, my system sounds more like what I envisioned it would with all the components I have in place. Today is a good day.