rebuilding an OG ms1000 Nickel

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
zeropoint0.5

Re: rebuilding an OG ms1000 Nickel

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

ttocs wrote:I was hoping to replace the last few parts on the board and throw it together but a couple of pads and a circuit trace came up that I now need to repair. Looking into doing it right with dry film repair but trying to find someone with some experience in it to point me where/what to get
great overall project !!!!!!

i suggest for board repair you contact Eric D.

i copied his technique to do so......

to repair a trace, strip an ftp cable and use one of the 8 copper wires....
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

some pieces to go next to it when its done.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

zeropoint0.5 wrote:
ttocs wrote:I was hoping to replace the last few parts on the board and throw it together but a couple of pads and a circuit trace came up that I now need to repair. Looking into doing it right with dry film repair but trying to find someone with some experience in it to point me where/what to get
great overall project !!!!!!

i suggest for board repair you contact Eric D.

i copied his technique to do so......

to repair a trace, strip an ftp cable and use one of the 8 copper wires....
I have done that way as well as a couple of others but I have always wanted to know a better way to do it and the dry film repair looks to be the way.
If you look at the 2nd set of contacts from the bottom on the right you can see where a pad had come off and a repair was done using solder wick. Technically nothing wrong with it but there is a cleaner way.
Here I put the new pad down. The kit I got doesn't have pads this big so i am cutting them out lf the frames of others so its not a perfect circle by any means and I have not poked the hole in it yet. It has an adhesive that is heat activated by the soldering iron to hold it in place
Next you poke the hole in it and insert a through hole collet. There is another tool in the kit that looks like a center punch that you use to push it hard on both sides and wedge it into place. A little bit of solder then completes it.
after that point its just a standard install of the cap. This amp had someone do some repairs on it before and 6 of the 12 caps had pads lift so I am getting plenty of practice now with this.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

started putting it together. I get all the way to this point when I realized that I made the rca cable about a 1/2" too short....
JK

Post by JK »

Seems to be every males problem... lol
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

got one side in although I am waiting on a couple small pieces for the finishing details to give completed pics.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

not sure if I ever showed you these or not but my guy plated the transistor heat sinks in gold.

I put the 2nd board on the sink and got the first few screws in before I wanted to turn it around so I had easier access to it. This mofo is getting heavy now and almost knocked me over not realizing how heavy it got.

can't wait for the last few things to arrive to finish it up.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

HA scott finishes something. GOOD one.

Look its done

0:45 later

Well.. imma change this..and that...and.. while i have it apart..
ttocs wrote:not sure if I ever showed you these or not but my guy plated the transistor heat sinks in gold.

I put the 2nd board on the sink and got the first few screws in before I wanted to turn it around so I had easier access to it. This mofo is getting heavy now and almost knocked me over not realizing how heavy it got.

can't wait for the last few things to arrive to finish it up.
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I might resemble that remark....
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

CAN I GET A GOD DAMN?! I went with the large jpegs :)
Let me introduce you to the reincarnation of OG MS1000 #666.
It certainly has not been an easy project, let me remind you the changes/work done.
-Naturally it started with a cap swap including the rail caps
-rca signal cables were upgraded to PG 9mm super triple shielded RCA's
-speaker signal cable were upgraded to 8 awg wire
-New blue 3d printed terminals
-Made the transistor press bars and had them anodized blue
-Had the transistor heat sinks gold plated
-found mps end caps(4 actually if you remember) and polished them, got them nickel plated and then printed and could not be happier with how they turned out. The blue screws are the cherry on top.
-Custom plexi that has both the traditional gold logo as well as a laser etched manf plexi version that shows the components on the board.

I have been in car audio a long time, seen a TON of amps and I have to say that this is the sexiest amp I have ever seen now. I have a set of gloves I keep with it to move/carry it and can't wait to hear it.
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Thats great scott! I said got damn!! Was going to add well how does it sound but you already said you cant wait to hear it. Great job!
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:CAN I GET A GOD DAMN?! I went with the large jpegs :)
Let me introduce you to the reincarnation of OG MS1000 #666.
It certainly has not been an easy project, let me remind you the changes/work done.
-Naturally it started with a cap swap including the rail caps
-rca signal cables were upgraded to PG 9mm super triple shielded RCA's
-speaker signal cable were upgraded to 8 awg wire
-New blue 3d printed terminals
-Made the transistor press bars and had them anodized blue
-Had the transistor heat sinks gold plated
-found mps end caps(4 actually if you remember) and polished them, got them nickel plated and then printed and could not be happier with how they turned out. The blue screws are the cherry on top.
-Custom plexi that has both the traditional gold logo as well as a laser etched manf plexi version that shows the components on the board.

I have been in car audio a long time, seen a TON of amps and I have to say that this is the sexiest amp I have ever seen now. I have a set of gloves I keep with it to move/carry it and can't wait to hear it.
You can get a good job.. :)

Silverhorse

Post by Silverhorse »

This is the moment when all the hard work pays off.
This is so damn beautiful.
vwguy3

Post by vwguy3 »

That looks amazing Scott! All your hard work paid off. Good for you man! Couple of questions. Where did you get the blue power blocks? Where they 3D printed? And how was the printing done on the end caps and plexiglass?

Thanks
Justin
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

This is the first time I have seen a ms1000 in person and I think after this all other gear will be "just an amp"

David Warner had a guy with a 3d printer for the power/speaker terminals but I think a while back he said he found out the guy sold his printer. He also had a friend or knew a guy locally that did the plexi and the printing on the end caps. The plexi is done with gold vinyl and the smaller stuff showing the parts on the circuit board was laser etched. I believe he said the printing on the nickel plating was done with a UV printer, but I am not exactly sure what that is other then expensive.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:This is the first time I have seen a ms1000 in person and I think after this all other gear will be "just an amp"

David Warner had a guy with a 3d printer for the power/speaker terminals but I think a while back he said he found out the guy sold his printer. He also had a friend or knew a guy locally that did the plexi and the printing on the end caps. The plexi is done with gold vinyl and the smaller stuff showing the parts on the circuit board was laser etched. I believe he said the printing on the nickel plating was done with a UV printer, but I am not exactly sure what that is other then expensive.
Oh.. just 30 grand.. hahhaImage

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

well it is on sale. Your just never happy huh? :)
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:well it is on sale. Your just never happy huh? :)
Lol. I wish i had 30 grand laying around for one of those. It has a printer head height of almost 4" so, printing on zx and ti chassis would not be a problem

vwdude

Post by vwdude »

The printer that my guy uses was $100k. It’s huge. He also owns a plexi shop where he makes plexi stuff from awards to fish tanks. He also has 3 vinyl plotters. He HAD a 3D printer but I was the only customer using that and it took up too much space in the shop (it was an industrial one) so he sold it. Jason Campbell is now making terminal blocks and will do any color you want I believe. Campbell can also do plexi etching I believe.

The “Phoenix gold” is gold Mylar. That was the only way to properly replicate the heat pressed gold plexi logos on the original.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
JK

Post by JK »

Sick custom MSK.... I know how you feel.. looking at it in person is insane.. I love my original MSK with red terroids.. it has so many extra details like the one you just built.. good job!! I hope everything operates properly once you install it.. I'd make sure you sit back there watching it for a hour or so when you first hook it up.. I've learned anything can go wrong.. better safe than sorry..
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have been afraid to hook it up yet not only for fear something is not right but also because I am not sure my 12v 5A power supply could handle anymore then powering it up. On the other hand I know its good to limit the current to it at first but I would prefer a fuse on a larger supply then the main power fuse for the supply.
JK

Post by JK »

Something going wrong would be a heart breaker... your smart enough to....... I don't have the words, but you know what I mean.. she looks sick though for sure...
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Cant believe I missed this awesome build. Great job Scott!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

thanks. Hopefully I will have the car back on the road shortly and can resume the stereo install.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

can't wait to see it all ! :metal:
I am glad to have helped a bit in this build and i sure hope its better than i could image
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport