Enclosure recommendtions

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Bchester6

Enclosure recommendtions

Post by Bchester6 »

So I have this nice DLS Iridium 12 subwoofer that I want to make a custom sealed enclosure for but as I read the manufacturer recommendations it calls for 1.2 ft/34L. Fine, but oddly enough if you look at the recommendation closely it's for a "single voice coil" configuration and there is no recommendation for "dual voice coil"?? Does this mean I shouldn't utilize both of the voice coils and run it in parallel to 2 ohm or am I missing something here? Even more curious is the recommendation for 10 inch model which gives both options (single and dual) and as you can see there is quite a bit of difference in enclosure requirements which I suppose is due to the higher power from utilizing both coils. Should I suppose the same difference based on the 10" specs (.36 ft <less) and apply it to the 12" model? Tough call for me as I have never heard of purposely wiring a single coil only but then again I don't get out much :D
Any help is greatly appreciated as I don't have any software to model it out based on all the specs provided as I always go on the enclosure recommendations from the manufacturers (see attached)
manual_iridium_subs_eng.pdf
(81.7 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Re: Enclosure recommendtions

Post by Eric D »

Generally speaking there are only very rare cases where you would want to run just one coil of a dual coil sub. These are usually in SQ setups. Any time you run only one coil, you have only half the power handling (maybe less depending on the design and how well the "dead" coil can dump heat. I honestly cannot think of any sub by any manufacturer where they recommended the use of just one coil.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

only sub I ever blew was a DVC sub I only wires half up on.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

I may just build it around 1 ft and throw plenty of power at it and see what happens. Unfortunately, there is literally no tech support for these as they have been discontinued for over a decade now... Damn Swede's!!