Line Output Converter

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
jbob0124

Line Output Converter

Post by jbob0124 »

Has anyone had any experience with these? Been trying to plan out my system for a few months now, but haven't had much luck with the after market selection for my suv. I think my only option without completely redoing the entire front console is to keep the factory head unit and try and use a line out converter. Will be using two Rsdc124's , Ti Elite comp's and probably try to sell my ZPA's and go with an Elite.5. Anyone have a recommendation on a line out converter to use or anyone see an issue running one with this gear Thanks.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Line Output Converter

Post by ttocs »

I have used them. They are ok but there are a lot more options now available with them since I used them. Don't cheap out at wallmart and hit the signal as close to the source as you can.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

Definitely not wanting to spend the money on a Elite.5 only to be held up by a crappy signal to start. I started looking at a few and noticed some had EQ's in them. Not sure if they are decent or not, but like the thought of having the EQ on one. I currently have an EQ232, but was wanting to downsize on accessories to help the overall footprint of space needed for the install and thought this would be a good way to get rid of the need for the EQ232.

For example https://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LCQ1B/ ... ml?tp=2001

This one goes up to 8.5volts which would cover the 8volts the Elite.5 would use. Not sure if something like this would be overkill for what I need though. I don't mind spending the extra money for a nice one, but at the same time I don't want to just throw away the extra if its not needed.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

I've used and installed these before and although the eq part is nice, I found these units to be noisy at times producing an audible "floor" noise. I've had better results soldering RCA's on the factory wire and directly plugging into my amp or eq, line driver, etc...If your radio emits a balanced signal all the better provided you have components that accept a balanced signal.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

doesn't the new eq shown at ces have speaker level inputs?
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

Couldn't find much on a new eq. Guess I've waited this long, what's a little more. As far as soldering rca's, it's a good idea. Never would have thought of that.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

I've done it on my last 3 installs and it's worked perfectly but like I said, you have to make sure the amp is capable of taking the signal. Just check the RCA inputs on the amp and make sure that they're separately grounded and you will be good to go.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

what kind of car? There are a number of different types that just will not work to solder rca's on. I would go loc before soldering.
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

2016 Ford Edge.

I will probably try using a line out converter first.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

When you're talking about keeping an OEM head unit it will require a bit of adaptive design. I kept mine in my TSX for much of the same reasons that you're keeping yours. The biggest challenge is going to be figuring out where you're going to tap in. The deciding factor for me was that all of the processing was done in the stock amplifier. This made it an extremely simple Choice for me which was to grab the signal preamp. Having said that , a lot of the "premium audio" packages that are being provided by car manufacturers have all the processing and Equalization in the head unit. Ultimately this means that you will be required to add an additional piece in your signal chain to make it talk nice to your amps, eq, processor, etc... I only mention soldering RCA's because I've had great success with that approach. Needless to say, I luckily had the right eq and amp to make it happen. Good luck bro!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

There's nothing premium about my current audio package.

With that out of the way, I'm not opposed to using the correct gear for the job, just trying to reduce the overall foot print I need. I have a TLD or Tbat I can use along with the eq232. I was just thinking by using the line out converter with the built in eq, I could avoid the need for the full size eq and line driver.
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

Starting to rethink this. There's really not much that my factory head unit has that a new head unit wouldn't have. The only thing I really use is the hands free calling and my backup camera. I know a new one would have the hands free. Would just need to figure out the camera and steering wheel controls. Would also need to make a custom trim panel for an aftermarket head unit.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

There have been a lot of discussions on DIYmobileaudio and Ford forums about getting a flat signal from the OEM unit. See a few I've checked out:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/gen ... ation.html
http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3704
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/tec ... utput.html
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

Thank you for the links.

I skimmed through two of them. Not 100% sure if it will work in mine. Will need to do a little more reading. Mine is the basic head unit without out the amp (non Sony package). I do like the thought of having the clean signal at 4v using the factory h/u.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

jbob0124 wrote:Thank you for the links.

I skimmed through two of them. Not 100% sure if it will work in mine. Will need to do a little more reading. Mine is the basic head unit without out the amp (non Sony package). I do like the thought of having the clean signal at 4v using the factory h/u.
The thread from 2GFusions has just about everything you need to get a clean 4 volt variable signal from your OEM head unit. You don't need the Sony package to make it work it appears. If I would have had this two years ago, I probably wouldn't have replaced my factory unit in my F-150.

I also found this thread: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/bui ... log-2.html

It appears you can modify any of the newer Ford vehicles.

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

Quite a bit of info in that last link. Will definitely do some more reading. Thanks again for finding and posting those.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

No problem. I was entertaining the idea myself, but I like my Pioneer P99 too much. I do miss steering wheel controls and Bluetooth though, but not enough to switch back or add them to the P99.

jbob0124

Post by jbob0124 »

I've added one of these to my shopping list. Definitely going to mess around with it. Even if I can't get the ACM to work like the others, this will still come in handy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F0GVB ... ref=plSrch
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Let me know how it works!