Phoenix Gold DSP8.8 finally a reality?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
esappy

Phoenix Gold DSP8.8 finally a reality?

Post by esappy »

Just saw this article stating the DSP8.8 is FINALLY hitting the streets! Anyone have any more insight with this? Anyone planning on using this? I am seriously considering it especially since you are supposed to be able to make the adjustments using iOS and Android devices. I would love to be able to control this thing with my iPad! :D

http://www.12voltnews.com/2017/07/18/ph ... ll-dsp8-8/

All I really got to say is it's about time! Now get the Zen 9 out! 8) And Phoenix Gold, please update your website.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Phoenix Gold DSP8.8 finally a reality?

Post by ttocs »

I hear its due out any time now but we have heard that before about other gear. I am hesitant to get any DEQ that requires either pc or phone interface just because I was never more disappointed to see their last DEQ become obsolete as soon as windows 2000 came out.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
esappy

Post by esappy »

ttocs wrote:I hear its due out any time now but we have heard that before about other gear. I am hesitant to get any DEQ that requires either pc or phone interface just because I was never more disappointed to see their last DEQ become obsolete as soon as windows 2000 came out.
While I can certainly understand your point, don't most of the DSP's on the market require a PC to interface the DSP unit to its software? Rockford, Helix, Audison, etc. I have also been screwed by hardware becoming obsolete due to not being able to upgrade to new software. I have a DSP for my home theater subs and a 'programmable remote' that ran off of XP and well, I don't have XP anymore.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

yes most require some kind of screen. Another thing about DEQs is that for the past 15-20 yrs there is always a new one on its way out that is supposed to change everything.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
esappy

Post by esappy »

ttocs wrote:yes most require some kind of screen. Another thing about DEQs is that for the past 15-20 yrs there is always a new one on its way out that is supposed to change everything.
Well that's just consumer electronics in general. :D
vladthebad

Post by vladthebad »

Is it just me, or does it seem like no one builds a be all end all, audiocontrol "kitchen sink" install DSP?

Between small class D amps with high speed fets and mondo-power sub amps that aren't the size of a surfboard anymore, I keep thinking the next holy grail isn't just another small advance in amps... But a truly holy crap DSP.
A $10 arm chip has more processing power than some music studios had in the 90's.
Shouldnt the D in DSP still stand for digital? Haven't we figured out how to move large amounts of data digitally really fast?
Why is there some silly 8 channel limit? Why not a digital flowchart version of the old audiocontrol manual diagrams?

Oh, let's just drag and drop few XO slopes here and there, drop a 1/3 octave EQ onto this signal here.... (And auto-pick end bands based on a ao settings... For a midbass channel that is 24db band pass between 60hz and 300hz why should we even care about 3k, 4k, 6k, etc.?)

Then make boards with a pile of inputs and outputs. And when I say a pile, I mean shock and awe. TiDD10 levels of Christmas tree LEDs and outputs. And optical or Ethernet input and output to daisy chain another on if needed.
keith2728

Post by keith2728 »

Anyone play with this yet? Love to here some opinions.
Old guy who forgot how fun car audio was till my son got his first car and found my stash.....
current system:
Clarion 807
(2) Phoenix Gold Elite .5
Focal 165 AS3
focal 130 AS
(4) Kicker L7 10"
Bit one

Soon to come
8" midbass in kick pannels