Greetings All! New member with questions on his MS amplifer

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
59caddyman

Greetings All! New member with questions on his MS amplifer

Post by 59caddyman »

Good day all! My name is Brian! I have been into audio most of my life. My dad got me into audio at an early age. I will spare the boring details about competing, collecting and such and get to the point. I have decided to start my Phoenix Gold collection and purchased my first piece about a month ago. I did some searching for a while and found an MS2125. I know about the need to replace caps and all and I will be doing that shortly. This guy has the Team Phoenix Gold clear plexi and it had clear plexi end plates. Well what was left of them. I repaired a couple soldering joints that had come loose and powered it up to test to make sure it all worked. And it did! Crystal clear beautiful sound. Since the 5 min test I have been disassembling it to replace caps. But I did some searching on here and found a thread about MS2125 OR MPS2500. I read that the mps2500 had 30v 15000uf rail caps, which mine has, and that the mps2500 had a serial number that started with 25. My serial number is 251326. I will post pictures, any help identifing this would be much appreciated. Also any recommendations on repair and upgrades would be very welcomed. can't wait to talk with some of these highly knowledgeable members and grow my ever changing collection! Thanks for the time guys!

Well, all my picture files are too big so I will get them on asap.
vwdude

Re: Greetings All! New member with questions on his MS ampli

Post by vwdude »

Welcome to the phorum.

It sounds like you have an mps-2500. Look up the specs in here. They didn't come with plexi endplate from the factory so make sure you connect the power, ground, remote and speaker cables properly. I never recommend powering them even for 5 mins as all it takes is a fraction of a second for the board to smoke.

Please look up the procedure to make sure you do it right. You will need the thermal pads and make sure you get the screws back in the correct holes as they are different lengths and can't be tightened enough if they not the right one. Also make sure you use the correct caps.

Congrats on your first pg amp.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

So it has 2125 end caps? probably one of the cheater competition amps. Some competitors would swap the end caps on the amps.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
59caddyman

Post by 59caddyman »

Thank you for the replies! Please keep any information coming, I'm a sponge and am eager to learn all I can!

Vwdude- thank you for the recommendation of not powering it on due to it's inherent hazard. Before I did, I slipped a piece of paper under every cap just to see if any goo was present, and nothing came out from under any cap. I figured I was ok just to check and make sure there wasn't anything else issue wise. I have also been reading the processes and have done exacly as you recommended. I have sorted every screw and taken pictures so I know it all goes back together exactly.as for the thermal pads, I need to locate some new material a few of them came apart in pieces.

Ttocs- the end plates didn't have any model number. The place with the power and rcas was broken into a dozen pieces and taped together when I got it. The opposite side was missing the entire middle section. They were clear with black screening. I was told that it was an ms2125. But after reading about the differences I started to question it. Now I'm in search of another good set of end plates.

I had a buddy send me to a link from another forum about telling the difference and lead me to believe it was an mps2500.

"A simple thing is to look at the caps and read the date code on them. It will look like a 5 digit code similar to this 9315L. The 93 being there manufacture date back in 1993. Caps of this age are pretty beat by any standard, so it will improve the SQ and power of the amp by replacing these.
The 12 volt side caps are Panasonic FC standard with a 5000 hour rated life at 105 C temperature. Please use only the best grade of cap possible, and at least 105 C rated as these see all the heat the amp does."
"The original MPS-2500 had 15,000ufd 35 volt DC caps in the supply, but later on they went to 10,000ufd at 40 volts DC rating. I suggest the original parts as they store more energy."

My rail caps are printed "sound xs by Phoenix Gold" and
81DA
15000uf USA
35VDC
9420L 63
+- 105° c

So it would lead me to believe these are original caps from 1994, and an mps2500.

I have been trying to post pictures but for some reason when I copy the link from Photobucket it won't post any pictures. I will try again after work tonight.

Again, I thank you knowledge members and appreciate your time greatly!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

to post pics, Go to full editor and click on the spot just above the reply section that looks like a small picture and then paste your http in between the [img] xxxxx [img]
59caddyman

Post by 59caddyman »

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

oh sorry yea photuphucked... They decided a few months ago to not allow people to link to pics with out paying $400/yr. I had to open a flickr account because of it.
59caddyman

Post by 59caddyman »

Ttocs- ahHa, so is that why I can't post anymore photos? I tried to post serial number and end plates etc, but every time I previewed it , it gave a blank image with some garble about upgrading. So flikr is the way to go?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

photobucket a few months ago changed its service so if you want to link to forums like this it will cost you $400. Yes flickr is just as easy and still free.
59caddyman

Post by 59caddyman »

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

the file name should end with jpg. If you are in your camera roll double click on the pic you want and it will open a larger version. Do right click on it and save the file name. Now come back here and click on the Img box above [img]xxxxxxx[/img] paste you image between the two.