Opinion on Sub location

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
THUMP-LUMP

Opinion on Sub location

Post by THUMP-LUMP »

I know....It's been awhile since I posted last. But right now, I'm putting my old Nissan Truck back on the road and am switching up my setup from a pair of 10" subs down to a single 10". I'll re-purpose the old box I had the pair in and simplify the amp install by mounting them in what used to be inside the box.

OK, on to the question.... What side of the cab (extended cab model with sub facing up) do you think would be better?? Behind the drivers seat, behind the passengers seat or it doesn't matter? And why do you think that?

PS.....I may have some goodies for sale soon.

Kenwood KEC301
Kenwood KAC921
PG M25 NIB
PG M50 NIB
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Opinion on Sub location

Post by ttocs »

I put mine behind the passenger seat when I had a pick up years ago because I lost 2 notches on the seat to go back because of the box. It also makes it easy to check things imo since we are on the drivers side more often then not.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
THUMP-LUMP

Post by THUMP-LUMP »

Thanks for the input. Not worried about losing seat notches. Being as it's the old sub box that was in it before. Basically, I'm going to cut the top off of one side or the other, put a new side on to re-enclose for the single sub and place the two amps (mid/tweet & sub) inside. I'm thinking that corner loading from the passenger side might help, but if anything, I'm sure it would be minimal. There's probably not going to be enough difference to matter. Though....I tend to place things on top of the box from the drivers side onto the passenger side of the box. From this perspective, it would make more sense to have the sub behind the drivers seat.
Bchester6

Post by Bchester6 »

I have always preferred the drivers seat position facing inwards towards middle of cab or upwards towards the roof. I can't tell you the science behind it but it was just better. In fact, I've always preferred all my subs behind the drivers side regardless of vehicle type as I have had many vehicles in the last 25 years that I've been involved in car audio. My current vehicle is a TSX wagon, and I went with rear passenger side firing (single 12) and I've had challenges with tuning and getting it to sound right. I finally ended up flipping the wires (reverse phase) and lowering the x-over point to get the imaging where I want it. More than you needed I know haha. Cheers bro!
THUMP-LUMP

Post by THUMP-LUMP »

I think I'll put the sub behind the drivers seat. Two reasons...... One, less likely to put stuff over top the grill above the sub and block output and two, the battery is on the passengers side so it would be a straight run of cable to the back.