zero point fused dist blocks

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

zero point fused dist blocks

Post by ttocs »

I was playing in the car today and blew a fuse and I have to say I blew the fuck out of it :)
Never been impressed by it before but I have also never seen it go out the side as well.

But thats not the important part/question that I have. This fuse was in a zero point 4 way fused dist block and it was only a 30 amp fuse that I am pretty sure I only threw in because it was all I had on hand as its an 8 awg wire on it feeding my compressors for the air ride. When it blew I turned to check the block and was surprised to see that the block was all lit up showing the 2 good fuses, one missing and the one blown. I thought I remembered flipping the switch on the block a week or two ago to turn it on and look at it and thought maybe I just left it on with the battery charger on so no big loss. I flipped the switch on it and nothing happened, all the lights stayed on. The lights finally did turn off when I pulled the fuse out. Now I could have sworn I have blown a fuse or two in the dist blocks before and maybe I just thought I had the switch flipped on to see them, but did they always light up(even when switched off) when a fuse blew? I thought when a fuse blew I had to flip the switch to turn the lights on to see if it was blown, not that they turned themselves on because of the bad fuse?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
lilviper

Re: zero point fused dist blocks

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:I was playing in the car today and blew a fuse and I have to say I blew the fuck out of it :)
Never been impressed by it before but I have also never seen it go out the side as well.

But thats not the important part/question that I have. This fuse was in a zero point 4 way fused dist block and it was only a 30 amp fuse that I am pretty sure I only threw in because it was all I had on hand as its an 8 awg wire on it feeding my compressors for the air ride. When it blew I turned to check the block and was surprised to see that the block was all lit up showing the 2 good fuses, one missing and the one blown. I thought I remembered flipping the switch on the block a week or two ago to turn it on and look at it and thought maybe I just left it on with the battery charger on so no big loss. I flipped the switch on it and nothing happened, all the lights stayed on. The lights finally did turn off when I pulled the fuse out. Now I could have sworn I have blown a fuse or two in the dist blocks before and maybe I just thought I had the switch flipped on to see them, but did they always light up(even when switched off) when a fuse blew? I thought when a fuse blew I had to flip the switch to turn the lights on to see if it was blown, not that they turned themselves on because of the bad fuse?
Pics to aid understanding

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Silverhorse

Post by Silverhorse »

Hi Ttocs

did the test with the one I have: with fuse = green LED, without fuse = red LED. Switch in off position: no lights.
do you have a multimeter with a "beep" test? If so, use it to test the fuse. It's possible that the fuse is not 100% open.
Attachments
DSC_8307.jpg
DSC_8307.jpg (70.51 KiB) Viewed 4709 times
DSC_8306.jpg
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

Whats the point of the green and red lights if the position that has no fuse in it stays green when open?

Silverhorse

Post by Silverhorse »

this fuse block has 1 input and 2 outputs. I think that the AGU fuse has a maximum of 60 amps. If you put 2 AGU fuses of 60A in parallel you have 120 amps of protection. This is the reason why PG made this design like it is I think. You have more possibilities to protect your amp with the correct fuse. Keep in mind that you have to put 2 fuses of the same value in the same block. This is my opinion if there are others... I like to learn!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

lilviper wrote:Whats the point of the green and red lights if the position that has no fuse in it stays green when open?

when the switch is flipped if the fuse is good they light up green, when it blows the red light comes on.

I went out last night with the blown fuse and a good fuse to try and repeat it and get pics but today for some reason it works the way I thought it did. It only lights up with the switch flipped on today no matter what fuse is in it. Not sure what happened the other night as I know I flipped the switch 6-8 times and the lights did not turn off till I flipped it and then pulled the fuse out.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:
lilviper wrote:Whats the point of the green and red lights if the position that has no fuse in it stays green when open?

when the switch is flipped if the fuse is good they light up green, when it blows the red light comes on.

I went out last night with the blown fuse and a good fuse to try and repeat it and get pics but today for some reason it works the way I thought it did. It only lights up with the switch flipped on today no matter what fuse is in it. Not sure what happened the other night as I know I flipped the switch 6-8 times and the lights did not turn off till I flipped it and then pulled the fuse out.
Interesting.. i designed a circuit years ago with bicolor leds that did essentially the same thing. Except if the position was open it showed red. I realize the other side is backfeeding the green led, i just figured they would have isolated that side of the circuit so that it wouldnt be green if there was no fuse, or it was open.

Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

lilviper wrote: i just figured they would have isolated that side of the circuit so that it wouldnt be green if there was no fuse, or it was open.

The fuses are wired in parallel pairs. There would be no possible way to detect which of the pair had failed. I'd guess they just did one led per fuse location for symmetry.
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600