Bass cube, clipping and output

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Rickymojr

Bass cube, clipping and output

Post by Rickymojr »

So I have an old bass cube. Was going someone could help shed some light on these a little for me. I’m getting familiar with it. My current sub set up is an American bass HD15(1500 rms) and I have it bridged at 4ohm on a zapco AG1000. I know it’s not all Phoenix so I do apologize. The cube was a must have for me and I absolutely love it. I’m curious as to clipping while using the cube. I’d imagine that boosting it fully would be quite capable of clipping the signal ? Or no if the amp itself has the gains set accordingly? Seeing as my amp only puts out 900rms and the sub itself is 1500 my intended goal was to get the most out of the sub by using the bass cube. If you get where I’m going with this. My box is 4 cubes tuned to 27 if that is necessary info. Am I going in the right direction here by using the cube to do what I’m hoping or should I be considering other avenues for output. I feel I have the right idea but also don’t want to damage equipment if I’m way off in achieving my goal.
Thanks for reading hopefully you can help.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Bass cube, clipping and output

Post by ttocs »

you absolutely can easily push the signal into clipping with the cube. Even with the amp set up right if you were to have the bass on the deck and loudness maximized then it could still go into clipping. I am not sure what to tell you other then to get familiar with the distortion sound that happens when it just starts to clip, and then back it down a bit. By the time you are hearing and recognizing it the signal has already been in a light clipping area that can still build a good amount of heat over time. An o-scope can help when setting things up but not many have one or know how to use it.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Rickymojr

Re: Bass cube, clipping and output

Post by Rickymojr »

Awesome thank you very much. I’ve been contemplating an oscope meter. Can get one on amazon for a couple hundred and for the amount of tinkering I do and plan on doing with car audio I feel it would be a wise investment. I truly appreciate your input and help. The cube is a phenomenal tool/addition to my or any system for that matter. I just need to learn more about what my system is doing with visual as well as audible understandings. I know the sub itself is way underpowered so it may be time for amp upgrade for it. As far as my deck and amp go right now I use absolute no boost from either. Simply set to its crossover point and gain set with dmm using ohms law and a 0db 50hz test tone from realmofexcursion.
Thank you