Phoenix Gold Elite.2 distortion issue

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
MrTOOSHORT

Phoenix Gold Elite.2 distortion issue

Post by MrTOOSHORT »

Have a couple of Elite.2s that when in cooler weather(5'C and lower) there is distortion(static crackling sound) at very lower volumes. When the amp warms up, the distortion goes away somewhat. If the amp is running on a nice day, say 20'C or so, it runs great. When cold and at near max volume, there is no distortion. OP Amp problem? Just wondering if this is a known issue with these amps. The deck is an Alpine 7995 going through a TLD66 line driver to the amp. I tried another ground and going directly from another cd player and rcas, still same thing.

Thanks.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Phoenix Gold Elite.2 distortion issue

Post by ttocs »

you sure your speakers are not frozen? :)

I have not heard of any issues with the elites and distortion myself. I have heard that the tld66's can though. would it be possible to bypass it and see if the noise is there? Where is the TLD mounted? Also I would double check that it isn't because of some kind of electrical interference that could be caused by cold weather accessories like rear window defroster, seat heaters by making sure they are off.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
MrTOOSHORT

Post by MrTOOSHORT »

Thanks for the reply.

Other info, speakers are Hertz 1800.3 700.3 and 280.3. I've used another amp, TI3 1200, no problem. I've used a discman and rca direct to the Elites, same issue static issue. Low volume, static in the song. Cranked the system, no static distortion. But in warm weather, everything good.
ladedruck

Post by ladedruck »

I wonder if the temp is messing with the dielectric properties of a/the capacitors (perhaps an inherent flaw with the caps supplied or age related)