Infrequent crackle/buzz

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Fresh

Infrequent crackle/buzz

Post by Fresh »

I just bought a used PG Ti21600.5 and hooked it up and I’m getting an infrequent buzz or loose crackle sound from the sub. The sub is a new JL 15w0. When I adjust or touch the gain or polarity controls the buzz or crackle presents itself. This made me think it was a grounding issue so I checked the ground and it’s still solid. Checked other connections and all are secure. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas of what to check?

Thanks!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Infrequent crackle/buzz

Post by ttocs »

it could be a dirty pot. Take note where it is set at, sweep it back/forth 5-6 times and see if its any better.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Fresh

Post by Fresh »

I’m not understanding what you mean by dirty pot. Sorry...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

when ya got bad weed it effects the sound of everything! Pot = potentiometer = variable resistor. or the gain control on the amp When you adjust the gain on the amp, you turn the pot. Sometimes they can get a little dirty/corroded and if you swipe them back and forth a few times it will clean things up a bit. Its not a fix all but more a way to tell if the pot is starting to go bad and put a band-aid on it.
Fresh

Post by Fresh »

Ok, turned the gain up and down multiple times and no improvement.
Fresh

Post by Fresh »

I must have tied the relay to a constant power as the amp comes on even when the head unit is off. I had a different system in the car previously and didn’t have issues. I don’t recall exactly how I wired the relay. I had kept the original head unit. I’m getting that sound even when the head unit is off, but the amp is on, but not getting a signal but it’s getting or doing something to create this sound through the sub.
Fresh

Post by Fresh »

Hooked up a different sub that I know is good and it makes the same sound. Just rewired a new ground as it seems like that’s what it should be, but to no avail. Still making the sound. Maybe I shouldn’t have bought this amp. :/
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

disconnect the rca inputs and see if it still does it just out of curiosity.
Fresh

Post by Fresh »

So disconnecting the RCA and it’s silent which make me think that it’s a signal problem or the cables are picking up interference in the signal but they are quality insulated cables so I go back to thinking it’s something in the signal source. But than I plug in another signal from a Bluetooth and connect my phone signal to it and the exact same result of crackling and popping. Which make me think it’s the amp.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

ah interesting. The best cables in the world can still pick up noise or it could be coming from the source. Now connect them to the amp, disconnect them from the source.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

what about soldering a ground wire to the out side of the rca i remember something like this was done to improve pioneer or sony head units back in the day
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Fresh

Post by Fresh »

So got annoyed with it and to it to a local PG shop. Problem is within the amp. The connection between the RCA’s and the board are bad and need repaired.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

Fresh wrote:So got annoyed with it and to it to a local PG shop. Problem is within the amp. The connection between the RCA’s and the board are bad and need repaired.
Bad solder probably on the shield to ground. Makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

yea pioneers had a problem where they would blow a pico-fuse and then there would be noise. I think the problem came from if you had the deck powered up and grounded out the rca's. As mentioned above a simple fix was just to ground the outer shield of the rca. I would just pinch a wire between the connection and then ground it somewhere myself.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

Panasonic's equipment was above reproach, it had to be something you did.

No one else.... just scott.

Lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk