Phoenix Gold Bass Cube

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Kirghiz

Phoenix Gold Bass Cube

Post by Kirghiz »

I'm trying to get my hands on one, and I've read the "super secret dealer manual", so I have an idea what to expect from it, but I have never used one.

http://download.phoenixphorum.com/Manua ... ecrets.pdf

If you do a Google search for reviews and what not, there seems to be some misinformation out there. I know it'll do what I want it to do from reading the manual, but if you believe everything you read it's a magic bullet, and I'm skeptical. I know it'll protect the subs with the adjustable subsonic filter, and I know it'll give me a dial to control the bass level. I'd be using it more for cutting on louder tracks than boosting. That is all I want it to really do, and for that reason I'm getting one.

But, they say it'll produce more bass, like several decibels more bass, and do it without endangering the subs, which I am trying to wrap my head around. I can see it doing something if you were under powering, or the subs were leaving some excursion on the table. In my case though, my subs are already pushing as hard as they can in their sealed enclosure, and the amp isn't even breaking a sweat. It'll probably help some I guess just by tuning the subs to the enclosure and vehicle, and sort of streamlining the performance, but beyond that I don't see it doing much in terms of increasing output. I see it doing more for SQ than SPL in my case.

Does that sound about right, or am I off base?
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Kirghiz

Re: Phoenix Gold Bass Cube

Post by Kirghiz »

In other news, the bass cube I was going to buy off of Ebay, the guy just cancelled the no reserve auction with 3 days to go for no apparent reason. If he'd had buy it now I'd have bought it 3 days ago......I hate Ebay. Especially since I am an auctioneer and know that cancelling an absolute auction after you have accepted a bid is illegal, but Ebay is apparently above the law and has been for some time. F'ing Ebay........

Anyway, I'm looking for a bass cube and remote in good shape, preferably black, but I'll take white, if anyone has anything......
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

Kirghiz wrote:In other news, the bass cube I was going to buy off of Ebay, the guy just cancelled the no reserve auction with 3 days to go for no apparent reason. If he'd had buy it now I'd have bought it 3 days ago......I hate Ebay. Especially since I am an auctioneer and know that cancelling an absolute auction after you have accepted a bid is illegal, but Ebay is apparently above the law and has been for some time. F'ing Ebay........

Anyway, I'm looking for a bass cube and remote in good shape, preferably black, but I'll take white, if anyone has anything......
there a white one you just need to fix the remote and clean it a bit for only 125?
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

kg1961 wrote: there a white one you just need to fix the remote and clean it a bit for only 125?
They are a dime a dozen with busted remotes or no remote. I want one where the unit and remote is in pretty good condition that I don't have to do work to it. The remote on that one looks like it was run over by a truck. lol
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

it just one pot and a led on the remote that need work to spend 75 more imo is not worth it
2020 honda accord sport
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Fundamentally, how much difference is there between the Bass Cube and the PPI BP-8?

http://www.precisionpower.com/html-vers ... /BP-8.html
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

dvnt88 wrote:4 left in stock and are BNIB.

http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Gold-Doct ... oenix+gold
Beautiful, thank you for that! Didn't think to check for new ones. :clap:

(This forum needs a "facepalm" emote lol)
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

love me the bass cube. Now to say that it can't damage a sub well its not idiot proof.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

ttocs wrote:love me the bass cube. Now to say that it can't damage a sub well its not idiot proof.
LOL Nothing is idiot proof, but that is what people say.

I just ordered one off that Amazon link. They only gave me one shipping option, and the estimated delivery is between May 30th and June 26th. I believe that vendor is one old man that sits in a rocking chair on his porch with a hound laying at his feet. "I reckon I'll ship this man's bass cube if I get around to it, or I might do it after a nap". That or they have one guy that runs cross country and does all their deliveries on foot.

LOL it's coming out of Germany it seems......
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

^^^^^ Yep ...he's in Germany and Joerg did a group by for all of us interested a while back thru him as it seems he has the last of the good stuff. If you go to his amazon store front page he still has some good old-skool stuff, but ya gotta have the coin as it ain't cheap by any means.
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

dvnt88 wrote:4 left in stock and are BNIB.

http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Gold-Doct ... oenix+gold

just be very careful i tried to buy like this and after about 3 week the company tried to order old stock from pg and found out they never had any. it was a pain
2020 honda accord sport
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

kg1961 wrote: just be very careful i tried to buy like this and after about 3 week the company tried to order old stock from pg and found out they never had any. it was a pain
I emailed them right after placing the order to ask what was up with the insane shipping time. I just got an email back from them and they said they had it in stock and would go out tomorrow. They had no idea when I would get it, but certainly faster than Amazon said. They said possibly two weeks or so. I'm not too worried about it I don't guess. It is what it is. I'd rather get a new one and have it take longer then risk getting scammed on ebay, or get one that has quirks.
LowandLoud

Post by LowandLoud »

Damn, i paid more than that for my NIB one. I had no idea they were still available new. Oh well.

LL
Always looking for:

Install accessories
LE amps
Processing
Unique pieces
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

ah I would wait to get the shipping confirmation before I count that chicken. Sounds like one of the guys that has a HUGE list of stuff for sale online but once you order it, then they try to find it. Probably just like was it woofersect.com that would do that, always say it was instock and shipping tomorrow only to have then 3 weeks later tell you that they do not have it? The fact that he did it to joerg, and now acts like he has no idea why it says that gives me bad feelings....
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Here is what I got from them earlier.......

thanks for your order with Mandrops. PLS note that we ship your order out of Germany which causes that the delivery time might take a few days longer as in the US. We have the item in stock and it will be shipped tomorrow. I am not sure how long exactly shipping will take, but definetely shorter than the delivery time which was given by Amazon. I guess you will receive your order within the next week or two.

Have a great day,
Mandrops AG

Karsten Dehler

If it doesn't come in a reasonable amount of time I'll raise hell with Amazon and see about getting their vendor status dropped. That'd hurt them worse than anything I'd say.
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Did u pay 149USD or 149EUR plus shipping for it?
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

euro... Dollar.... Whats the big dif really?
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

By the actual exhange rate 149euros are 194usd
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

It was US dollars. I really hope this goes better than you guys expect, because I can't wait to get it in my truck.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

just watch out for that little gremlin that steals remotes. That SOB gets ALL AROUND!
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

the bass cube is a great great produkt :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

they should make it again new today !!!! it would sell like hot cakes.....

think about it MW3 :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

^^^^ x2 :mrgreen: ...would buy a few just to make sure remotes don't go missing. :doh:
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

For those of you contemplating grabbing one of these, I got emails from Amazon and the vendor in Germany separately saying the Bass Cube was shipped Friday. Apparently they do have them in stock.
zztunnell

Post by zztunnell »

Kirghiz wrote:For those of you contemplating grabbing one of these, I got emails from Amazon and the vendor in Germany separately saying the Bass Cube was shipped Friday. Apparently they do have them in stock.
Thanks for the info.Keep us posted.I need one myself and was wondering about this guy a couple weeks ago.