Bridging ZX/Ti amps and RCA inputs

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
marko

Bridging ZX/Ti amps and RCA inputs

Post by marko »

Hi, I'm running a ZX450 bridged, do I need to run both left and right RCA cables into each channel or just a single RCA (left only?), the manual doesn't really say much on this subject..

Mark.
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
2x original shrouded ms2250's.
Route 66 in box + custom m100 to match.
Roadster 66 in flight case
Octane LE in box.
Reactor #186 in flight case.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
AX204A + EQ232 + ZPX2 + TBA set
ZCS6 component set
Tantrum+Titanium bass cubes
Ti12d Elite sub
DD5 + DD10 + 6 Ti blocks!
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Bridging ZX/Ti amps and RCA inputs

Post by ttocs »

its been so long since I had one in front of me that I can't recall for sure but I seem to remember always running a pair to them even when bridged.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
marko

Post by marko »

ttocs wrote:its been so long since I had one in front of me that I can't recall for sure but I seem to remember always running a pair to them even when bridged.
thanks for reply, I guess it wouldn't hurt to run Y splitters so all inputs are used, I know some amps don't like just the one input being used and need both utilised.

I know you can just use front inputs from 1 pair of RCA's but I'm not sure how this works for the rear inputs, I need to have a stereo pair of bridged channels as it's for mid-bass duty, all processing to be done externally 8)

Mark.
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
Octane LE in box.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
ZCS6 component set
Ti12d Elite sub
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I can say that at the shop I was working at that sold pg, I do not remember grabbing Y adapters often, if at all. But that was a few years ago and a lot of things about that shop are a tad blurry now...
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Yes, you need to use a "Y" cable. In the case of the ZX450, a pair of them.

If you don't, only one channel will be doing any work.

I was always surprised PG did not have a switch to use just one input. After all, their crossovers were some of the most complex and fully functional, integrated into the amplifier for the time.

I have internally soldered a wire across the inputs for customers who wanted a cleaner look. Many people (myself included) hate seeing "Y" cables. I suggest against this though, as if you ever go back to stereo and forget about the jumper, you have to deal with taking the amp apart to remove it.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
marko

Post by marko »

Eric D wrote:Yes, you need to use a "Y" cable. In the case of the ZX450, a pair of them.

If you don't, only one channel will be doing any work.

I was always surprised PG did not have a switch to use just one input. After all, their crossovers were some of the most complex and fully functional, integrated into the amplifier for the time.

I have internally soldered a wire across the inputs for customers who wanted a cleaner look. Many people (myself included) hate seeing "Y" cables. I suggest against this though, as if you ever go back to stereo and forget about the jumper, you have to deal with taking the amp apart to remove it.
Thanks for the great reply Eric! the amp is actually my Reactor so as a collector piece I wouldn't really want to do the jumper thing. also, the shroud will cover any Y splitters so not so bad on the eye.

on the subject of my Reactor, it has an annoying rattle from the internal cooling fan plate when a certain frequency hits, most annoying and can't believe it left the factory like this? I wonder if anyone else has had this before?

Mark.
Ti1 headunit (unique)
Outlaw in crate.
Octane LE in box.
Reactor EQ232
Ti400.2 AL
ZCS6 component set
Ti12d Elite sub
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

after I swapped out the caps on mine I had that same noise. All it ended up being was that one of the fans was not mounted tight enough. I found it by taking my finger and pressing on different areas till I pushed on the fan and it stopped.