X1200.1 / X200.4 / DCX-730 ---> Line Driver?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
02bluesuperroo

X1200.1 / X200.4 / DCX-730 ---> Line Driver?

Post by 02bluesuperroo »

Some of you may have seen by thread at DIYMA here:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=19513

Here is my basic system setup:

Last night I hooked up my sub amp and since this time it won't be running through the DCX-730, I'm back to my old problem where my 4v preouts are really not enough to properly drive the X1200.1 to full power. I get the gains up to 90% before I hear anything. At 97% I start getting noise. At 91% it sounds like I'm sending the sub about 400 watts. Every 1% of gain after that it seems like the power goes up 200w RMS. It is just too difficult to properly tune the amp in this range.

The other amp, the X200.4 is the same way but it will be running through the DCX-730 which has a 8v signal output already. I have a scope to set gains (I have never used it though) but I'm worried that on the X1200.1 the slightest little vibrations could be enough to make a difference in my settings if the gain pot moves AT ALL.

Do you think it is worth it for me to run a line driver? Can you set the output voltages differently for different sets of outputs on line drivers? I need to send max unclipped power to the X1200.1 but the max input for the DCX-730 is probably lower so I will need that one lower. I only need 4 channels of output on the line driver. I just can't stand running the X1200.1 with the gains nearly maxed out. What should I do?
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

yes! 4 volts definelty doesnt cut it for the xenon's im using a tld66 to push 10volts to mine. it really made a dramic difference.

errin tells me you can safely run up to ~13 volts to them
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...