PG xs4600 what would make this happen?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
EE4fan

PG xs4600 what would make this happen?

Post by EE4fan »

I brought my car to a shop to get tint done. When I got it back one of my speakers was blown as was the fuses in my pg xs4600 . It blows fuses when only power is applied. This made me thinks the power supply is bad. I opened it up and no fets looked burned up but it took me a while to find this.

What would make this happen and is it repairable.
EE4fan

Post by EE4fan »

can't post images in first post ha
Image :D
EE4fan

Post by EE4fan »

Well I'm gonna test and replace the caps if the need it and bridge the open part on the board, i guess.
dedlyjedly
Silent but Dedly

Post by dedlyjedly »

I've seen tinters performing a job get water everywhere inside a vehicle. Is the amp in a location that water dripping down the inside of the windows could have gotten all over it?
EE4fan

Post by EE4fan »

Yes the speaker that was blown was damp, and the amp cold have possibly gotten wet if water dripped down from the rear deck if they got it really wet while doing the rear window.

Unfortunately they are an audio shop (Bass Zone) and I thought they would have known better.

This happened over a year ago and I have since gotten over it, but i really liked this amp and would like it to work again.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

lol ^ yep, thats the culprit!

i did the exact same thing to the exact same amp in my very first truck

i was running my mid with no baffle in the door :idiot:
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
rolandk

Post by rolandk »

The big trace that got zapped open will have to be repaired, plus the power supply and/or output section could have defective parts.
EE4fan

Post by EE4fan »

Bah no fuses to test with :x, maybe in the morning.
EE4fan

Post by EE4fan »

Got some fuses and plugged it with just power. Amp light turns on and slowly blinks... but fuses do not blow. Me thinks there is something else wrong, or speaker wire doesn't make good power wires :?.

Oh well, my favorite shop transportation electronics is closing forever and has some killer deals on inventory so I will go there and get me a new amp.

Last week i scooped a clarion dxz675usb headunit, an eclipse 88100 with box, and some eclipse speakers for $490 :) .
Last edited by EE4fan on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

did you really use speaker wire as power wire?

i will take the broken xs4600 off you
EE4fan

Post by EE4fan »

It's working fine now and I did use speaker wire and a 5amp power supply.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

oh...whew...for test purposes.

i thought you were saying you had i on 12 gauge in your car. :shock:
Brian302505

Post by Brian302505 »

EE4fan wrote:Yes the speaker that was blown was damp, and the amp cold have possibly gotten wet if water dripped down from the rear deck if they got it really wet while doing the rear window.

Unfortunately they are an audio shop (Bass Zone) and I thought they would have known better.

This happened over a year ago and I have since gotten over it, but i really liked this amp and would like it to work again.
Bass Zone, you wouldn't live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area would you?
EE4fan

Post by EE4fan »

Yeah that would be the area.
1moreamp
NOT justonemoreamp

Post by 1moreamp »

Your trace vaporised cause some "special person" either over fused the amp or kept putting fuses in after it was already blown < the amp that is>

I have never seen this on a properly fused amp. I have seen it on a amp that connected to 12 volt power backwards < I.E. reversed polarity > but here again it took lots of over sized fuses.

Now this is not to say your amp was not hooked up to a 1 ohm mono load or less, and operated loudly till the circuitry failed, thus drawing a tom of current through the amp, the weakest place in the power chain gave up the ghost by design.
Some designers are smart enough to see the most terrible things coming so they build in a safety, in this case the small flashed open trace you see on your amp. Call it a PG internal fuse, that keeps your car from turning into a BBQ pit, after something very wrong has been done...

PG designed some of the safest, smartest equipment ever out there. I have respected their design work from the very first day I saw it back in 91. PG uses Flameproof resistors, and fuse resistors among other design traits that makes them one of if not the highest safety rated car amp I have ever seen in 30 years....

IMO your amp was abused in some fashion. Only abuse could cause such a failure. And I have seen my share over the years to feel strongly about this statement.
If you liked the amp call PG/Rodin and send it to them they will fix it for you. They have flat rates, ands are pretty ok in turn around time...Good luck on your amp...
EE4fan

Post by EE4fan »

Thanks for the info 1moreamp! Now I don't feel so bad putting it back in my car.

I do not know the condition of this amplifier before I came across it. When I worked at an apartment building about 5 years ago I found this amp in the dumpster with a pair of boston rx-97 6x9's. I thought it was I snatched it out of the dumpster and plugged it in and it was good to go. Best dumpster diving session ever.

If I have anymore problems I will send it out.