Ryval amplifier wish list

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
rolandk

Ryval amplifier wish list

Post by rolandk »

The next generation Ryval amps are in the planning stage, what features do you guys like/dislike/wish they had?

Some ideas being tossed around are variable HP and LPL.
STROKD

Re: Ryval amplifier wish list

Post by STROKD »

rolandk wrote:The next generation Ryval amps are in the planning stage, what features do you guys like/dislike/wish they had?

better looks, more like the TI amps? :lol:
FAS#73 & AX406A#73/Frank'd EQ230
BNIB MS2250 w/ shroud, 2 MS2250TAs, MS275, MQ430
2 Ti1200.1s, 2 ZX475Tis, Ti500.4, DD10, 6 Powercores
5 Orion 2100, 1 250 - HCCA Digital Ref. v2
6 Alpine 3558 Class A's - for sale
Alpine DigiMax system complete for sale
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

I don't think I'm the target customer for the Ryval amps so I doubt my input will be of value to PG/Rodin...

I like the LPL a lot so I think if it's cost effective to throw one into the new amps, go for it! It might cause some kids to use it as "bass boost" knob (gains cranked, LPL used to push amp into clipping when they want "more bass"), but for those in the know, it's a fun tool they can choose to use or not to use. Options are good.

I know the phorum members are notorious for this request/complaint (as evidenced by STROKD) but the look could be cleaner. Less fancy logos and more clean, basic lines. Again, I'm not the target customer here so my view on the looks may not help sell Ryval stuff at all.

I obviously don't need to say this but solid performance is important and apparently the current Ryval amps lived up to their ratings 100% of the time and did it without issue so keeping that alive is important.
Last edited by fuzzysnuggleduck on Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

they were pretty good all around, and you already addressed the lpl not on the 2 and 4 channels.

the power is good, price is right

smaller footprint? top mount controls? (really im just nitpicking now...the footprint is pretty good actually, but smaller is always better...and im sure top mount controls wouldn't help this anyway...)

the ryval line is solid. maybe some more marketing $$ behind it?
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

oh...and just in case this was about to happen i want to nip it in the bud:

others, please don't ruin the thread with requests unrelated to the ryval line. everyone has opinions on the direction of pg, but lets hold them for the right time and place and give him the proper feedback he is looking for
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

i , in a weird way, kinda like the way the amp looks on top, how about, clear on the underneath to see the amp guts, just my opinion, i know they arent the old m, ms series, but i always liked that u could see the top/ of the amp as clean and generic, or you could flip it and see the insides, hope this was ok to say?!
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
fordtough1
Twisted's Boyfriend

Post by fordtough1 »

I would like a cleaner look, something about that big batman looking thing on top of them just turns me off.

Adjustable HP crossover, and a more powerful 4 channel would be nice.
KHPower
Location: In the Phoenix Phorum's boiler room , east of the janitors closet

Post by KHPower »

A 4000 watt rms Ryval mono block
[color=#8040BF]Kenwood 993
Team Sundown:4500D
(2) Digital Designs 9500's
6 Cubes tuning 3 HZ
Team Kinetik: HC3800 ,(2),1200s (2) 600's
Factory Authorized Kinetik ,Sundown,MB Quart Dealer[/color]
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

I'm w/the majority of people. Better looks. To me it looks cheap. I'm not to fond of that "Batman" looking logo. A more cleaner refined look like the older MS/Saphire amps.

Maybe try some in a white color. Maybe Gray.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

An LPL jack would be a welcome addition to the new Ryval amps, and as with most other people, a simpler cleaner look without the "Batman" logo. Maybe something along XS line????? I don't know, just my $.02. A variable HP crossover would also be great. Other than that, I think the Ryval line is a solid affordable solution to those looking for reliable amps without a lot of gimmicks.
martinkruit

Post by martinkruit »

All of the above.

Think in the way of the Roadstar 66, that looks great.
[img]http://phoenixphorum.com/files/phoenixg_970.gif[/img]

Mac 200
Ti 500.2 (Tube pre)
M25 )np cover)
M25, M44, M50, M100, EQ215 (chrome)
QX 2350 x 2
Bass Cube

KLW Image Enhance
KLW Kathedral
Soundstream Reference Class A 10.0
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

I don't know if this fits the catagory of the Rival series, but I think the best 'new' thing to come down the line is the trend to make things smaller. My hottest selling amps are Arc Audio's new KS mini series and Pioneer's newest monoblocks. Although my core customer isn't the 16 - 25 year old male anymore either. It's more the older crowd wanting video for the kids, navi units in the dash and sub systems that don't take up any room. I've been selling more and more vehicle specific stealth enclosures and small amps that can be hidden away in side panels and under seats. Most of these customers were the ones years ago into loading the trunks with funk but now need thier space and aren't willing to give it up. That's not to say the younger crowd isn't eating them up as well. Of coarse there's the ricers looking to save weight so the size and implied weight saving = faster goes together too.

As for LPL's I'm not sure if that's a must. Especially if it means sacrificing something else to stay under a pricepoint. With even the cheapest head units today having dedicated sub controls they often get left out. I have tons of left over remote gain controls that are destined for the dumpster. I would say that if a fan was needed to help make things small and still stable that would go further than adding some of the other things.
Greg Kitching
buckster

Re: Ryval amplifier wish list

Post by buckster »

rolandk wrote:The next generation Ryval amps are in the planning stage, what features do you guys like/dislike/wish they had?

Variable HP and LP, for sure, but something really adjustable in that 50 to 120 range. I find it very annoying trying to tune, when the dial jumps from 50 to 110 with only the slightest movement.

This is one of the reasons I have become such fan of the Xenon line. I really like how adjustable the x-over is and the top mount control is very handy too.

Thanks for letting us provide input!
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Instead of going back to an MS series look, I would suggest something that's modern but still classy. Off the top of my head, something with a similar look but more professional feel would be the MB Quart amps. Something about their square edges and simple logo placement appeals to me.

I also like where Greg is going with the smaller amps. Perhaps Ryval can be the "small" line, where you can keep RSD as the "tech" line. Since Ryval requires less components (i.e. no triple darlington, etc), it should be easier to scale down.

LPL in 2 and 4 channels is a great idea, but they need to be in the RSD line more than Ryval. I don't think any of us here use Ryval amps... anyone as serious as us, who may also know how to properly use an LPL, will probably have the higher end amps.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

How about looks along the line of the new Alpine amps. Can't remember the series, but small, square and they have the 4 silver circles one at each corner.

I'm not saying to copycat that exact look, but something similar.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

^ to add to that, one thing that looks really great and would be fairly easy to implement:

these type of heatsinks:

stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

RSD series already has its heatsink along the edge. I'm not sure if the Ryval line does, since we haven't seen any amp guts yet. I know the Octane-R's had them on the top.

I like side heatsinks (mounting versatility), top controls (ease of use), and all inputs along one side (ease of install).
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

I've always loved the look of XTANT amps. Maybe something similar to that.

Install:
longboard

Post by longboard »

something more classy looking would be good

to me the current range just looks cheap

smaller footprint like the new jls

and the power to match

and make something for the top end market again
rolandk

Post by rolandk »

Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated. :clap:
denim

Post by denim »

Full range class-D is a logical step. I really prefer top mount controls. And I think a true 1500+ watt model might be worth it. Maybe a nicely upgraded crossover network for the active front stage people, on a 4 channel amplifier.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

^I think hes trying to keep a lower price point on the ryvals and save features like that for the next step up
denim

Post by denim »

Bfowler wrote:^I think hes trying to keep a lower price point on the ryvals and save features like that for the next step up
Makes sense, I can dream. :D
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

Maybe I'm alone here but what about a "link" option? I love the option of making 1 huge amp like the XS line. I know it might not sell a ton of units....but PG has always offered kool acc's so.... I also like the idea of a white color option. I'm with the others on the "batman" logo. The new PG logo has a clean appearence and I think the Ryval line would look cleaner utalizing the same. Think of all the newer cars, they have cleaner/tighter lines on the exterior and the Ryval line can bring that into the interior.
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
icehole

Post by icehole »

Like everyone else said, change the look.

I was at Fry's yesterday and I took a look at their amps. The Ryval was the ugliest on the wall - Fusion had their own area.

The iron cross is totally cornball. They're not too bad aside from that, but if they're up for a redesign, you may as well clean up the shape of the chassis, too. All flat sides with the same design cues would look nice, rather than the humps along the long sides.

As stated above linking would be a great feature to put into an entry level amp. Since the target user probably wouldn't have alot to spend at once, this would allow them to build up on their existing equipment.
[url=http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/f14/skywalker-trill-hunnit-213/]Skywalker Trill Hunnit[/url]