Anyone own the nak cd400?

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Anyone own the nak cd400?

Post by Mackenzie »

For some reason or another, I think I am going to be different on this system, so I think I have decided against going with the 800prs, as I previously had the 880 pioneer. The nak is about the same price, but lacks the eq, which is fine, as I can add more later. How much do you like your naks?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nakamichi-CD400-Nak ... 286.c0.m14
BLACKonBLACK98

Post by BLACKonBLACK98 »

i was considering a nak at one time but decided against it when i found out there is no n. american support for it, warrantied or otherwise. basically a very good looking paperweight. woofers offers a 9 month in house but that just wasn't good enough for me considering the gray market status.
drivingdadevil

Post by drivingdadevil »

I have a CD 300 in the F/S section for half the price.
joyride

Post by joyride »

I use the 45z, which is very similar. I personally love it. There is nothing on it, but it sounds damn good. This is by far the best sounding HU I have had in (noticeable difference when switching from an eclipse 8053). The interface is foolproof. Plus it looks like an OEM, which is nice if you are going stealth.

If you dont need any sort of EQ, try out the Nak. Mine only has bass, mid, and treble control but even that is more than I need. Never had any problems with it either. Sometimes it doesnt spit the CD out all the way, but it comes out about 1", so i can still grab it.
longboard

Post by longboard »

ive got a nak cd400 and love it but they can be temperemental and there is no uk support anymore but a v good sq unit
finkle636

Post by finkle636 »

I'd also love one but i hear they're not very reliable and theres very little support or repair centres outside japan. Isnt the product 5 or so years old? They need to release an updated version with the bugs worked out.

LONGBOARD: What do you mean temperemental, what issues do you have with yours?
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

I have heard that alot of the bugs have been worked out in the newer models like the skipping issues...
longboard

Post by longboard »

to be fair ive never had any trouble in the 2 units i have owned reali but alot of people that used them in iasca had trouble with laser units and sometimes they just take a disk and refuse to eject it which can be a pain when you are competing
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

I may just get the cd500 instead. Still cant make up my mind yet though..
eyesofra

Post by eyesofra »

I've had the nakcd400 for over a year now and never had any mechanical issue with it. Just works fine and sounds good. Also it looks like OEM without all the lights and flashing colours found on most new ones.
" If u know the rules, then u can break them " - Vidal S
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

i don't have any first hand experiance, but i have always heard that anything under the 500 series is not worth it.

i will go harrass errin about this and see why
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

... are the tuners always US standard, i.e. only 91.3 - 91.5 etc? can you convert them?

Bret
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

I have heard from a reliable source that even the cd400 sounded better than the 880 prs pioneer in a head to head compoarison hands downm.. Either way, I am kind of looking at the cd500 as I want a higher end deck...
bretti_kivi
Shutterbug

Post by bretti_kivi »

then why not go straight to the 700?
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I had a MB1000 and a CD45z and dream of a CD500 some day.

The 700 is a serious unit but not worth the coin for a daily install, everything word have to be top dollar to really realize the sound difference above and beyond the 500.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

VW337 wrote:I had a MB1000 and a CD45z and dream of a CD500 some day.

The 700 is a serious unit but not worth the coin for a daily install, everything word have to be top dollar to really realize the sound difference above and beyond the 500.
So how did you like the 45z? I heard its pretty much the same as the cd400
eyesofra

Post by eyesofra »

Mackenzie wrote:I have heard from a reliable source that even the cd400 sounded better than the 880 prs pioneer in a head to head compoarison hands downm.. Either way, I am kind of looking at the cd500 as I want a higher end deck...

the instant fullness of bass and the mid from the cd400 is definitely not subtle. cd500 adds the mp3 capability onto cd400 makin it even more attractive but gets a bit more expensive.
" If u know the rules, then u can break them " - Vidal S