tripath TA2024 amp

Reviews for car audio, or general products.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

tripath TA2024 amp

Post by nico boom »

Since the La Scala horns have returned to my home after many years, I've been testing all kinds of amps on them.
With their sensitivity of 105Db- 1mtr. they only need a few Watts to produce high SPL levels, making the search for the "perfect match" with an amp a difficult one.
Any amp producing just a tiny bit of noise when turned "on" will have to leave the testfield, since it will be audible right away.
After testing almost all of my MS amps, I tried a SET tube-amp class A, and some other audiophile amps for home use, [not-so-cheap-ones]...I bought this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... AQ:US:1123

I bought this T-CLASS amp, [tripath] directly from HongKong,producing 2x 10 Watts, with not-so-good-looking specs; but the reviews were awesome.
For the kind of money they ask for it I just could not resist, and after receiving this TINY AMP, and hooking it up to a motorcycle-battery....I was blown away.
Not specifically by the power [which is more than enough for these speakers] but by the tru "audiophile" quality of the soundstage.
This is a very affordable little amp that I can recommend to everybody with a pair of speakers that have a reasonable sensitivity.
It will surprise you with a kind of sound that you will not expect to hear from this "two packages of cigarettes small" enclosure.
Used for comp. speakers, headphones, and also home-audio, this for me is the most perfect match I came across. [yet] :lol:
So just wanted to share this with you; shipping was FAST the first time, I already ordered a second one for my brother in law, to surprise him with on his birthday [he's also got a pair of La Scala's]. 8)
My wife heard the difference imidiately when coming home; "hey....you changed something again [ :lol: ] the sound...it's filling the room now".
So do your wife a favor, and buy yourself [your wife] this tiny little [blingbling 24-krt guilded] amp.
If she does not hear the difference in sound, she can always hang it around her neck.
Nico
Attachments
IMG_3963.JPG
IMG_3963.JPG (89.88 KiB) Viewed 14792 times
IMG_3964.JPG
IMG_3964.JPG (85.86 KiB) Viewed 14792 times
IMG_3965.JPG
IMG_3965.JPG (73.94 KiB) Viewed 14792 times
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

It is pretty cool those old Klipsch horns are so efficient, but I really suggest you get something more revealing to test your stuff with. Knowing you though, you probably already have a whole assortment of better speakers you use as well.

Everyone loved those old Klipsch speakers for their "rock concert" output levels, but they always fall way short on sound quality. Horn technology will never catch up to traditional piston designs due to the fundamental flaws of the horn itself.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

You're right Eric, only after listening to a lot of loudspeakers, these horns do play music so "lively" like no other, in spite of them beeing "not audiophile".
For me, these speakers play music so "lively" that I take their colouration for granted, and I stopped listening "technically" to the played material, and started enjoying the sense of "beeing there".
My speakers were made in 1969, and after getting them back recently I replaced every component ; the 15 inch woofers [made to original specs.], mid-horn diafragms, the complete tweeters, plus a fully modern crossoverset , build especially for these La Scala's.
So if you have ever heard them yourself, you'd be very surprised to hear the difference after these modifications.
They do not take away the limitations of the horn-design, but with the aid of modern techniques they are upgraded in a HUGE WAY.
[good enough for me to enjoy them every day :wink: ].
pics; upgrading midhorn, new crossover, woofer replacement, and the old crossover, just to give you an idea....
So these monsters are gonna stay for now. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_3403.JPG
IMG_3403.JPG (128.57 KiB) Viewed 14766 times
IMG_3395.JPG
IMG_3395.JPG (94.68 KiB) Viewed 14766 times
IMG_3362.JPG
IMG_3362.JPG (75 KiB) Viewed 14766 times
IMG_3960.JPG
IMG_3960.JPG (131.55 KiB) Viewed 14766 times
IMG_3407.JPG
IMG_3407.JPG (85.95 KiB) Viewed 14766 times
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

A old friend of mine's Dad has a pair, and a guy 5 or so doors down from my house has a pair. I don't know if they are newer or older. Both pairs sound incredible until you compare them to another speaker. Paul Klipsch must have built a lot of "Klipsch Sound" into them (altered frequency response), as they jump out at you and scream, but they are so inaccurate it frustrates me. But, this was big for marketing way back in the day, and has helped secure sales for generations.
pb

Post by pb »

Try some low powered single ended tube amps on those speakers.

I have had various tripath amps in and out of my system over the years, and none could quite compare with a modest 2 watt SET on efficient speakers like those.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

I'm currently using a small "miniwatt" tube-amp delivering 2x3.5 watts SET.
Thanks for the suggestion. :wink:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

That's pretty cool Nico! Cute little amp! Unfortunately your eBay listing expired so I can't find any more info on it.

I too noticed a similar difference when changing my AudioSource AmpTwo out for the Tripath AmpSeven, even when gain matched. It was hard to quantify the sound difference, but it seemed to fill the room better.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/indeed-hi ... omZQQ_ipgZ

Here you go Tom.
I have more than a few good experiences with this shop; recommended.
Next week I will have two amps for trying-out here; one AYON SUNFIRE tube amp, and a HIRAGA LE MONSTRE. Always fun to play with different gear.
[btw; the amp you brought to me ,first time we met, is still for sale.. :whistle: ] :wink:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Dammit Nico why did you link me that page... now I really want their tube headphone amp :D
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

YOU ASKED FOR IT!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
[wouldn't you just LOVE to TRY ALL OF THEM..?...] :twisted:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

nico boom wrote:YOU ASKED FOR IT!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
[wouldn't you just LOVE to TRY ALL OF THEM..?...] :twisted:
Indeed I did...

and indeed I do! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
thingy

Re: tripath TA2024 amp

Post by thingy »

i've got the topping tp30 hooked up to my computer on a set of system-audio 205, it rocks :-) - usb dac and everything :D can only say buy the stuff :mrgreen:
Kenwood DDX5016DAB
In stock awaiting install ideas
Alpine 7893R
PG Rsd 65cs
2 PG M100
2 12" Xmax
PG Bass Cube Special Edition
PG Xmax 10"
Old School CVIT15.0DVC
PG M50
PG M44
PG M25 Special Edition
PG Xenon 6,5"
PG TiDD10 + Sld44
PG ZX 475TI (Needs check, bought as blown)