RSD 10" Mini-Review

Reviews for car audio, or general products.
Mackenzie
Where all da white women at?

Re: RSD 10" Mini-Review

Post by Mackenzie »

bdubs767 wrote:
Bfowler wrote:
bdubs767 wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: not sure what the RSd flaws are tho.
the only thing i dont love about the rsd is it can't seem to hold extended low bass notes as well as the xenon.

im attemting one more try with the xenon in my car before giving up

box should be done by the end of the week

nothing can extend low like the xenon...nothing I have used has yet to come close, even a 13w7 and even 2 15s.
Apparently you forgot about the titanium 12d elite then :wink:
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

i thought that even the elite's curve wasnt as low as the xenon's....who's got the specs to graph?
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

The Elite is a bruiser, but it's not as low end biased as the Xenon... that's for sure. I remember testing the Elite in the Corolla, and then switching to the Xenon afterwards. That Xenon can hit and hold deep notes like nobodys business, but it really sucks on higher bass that the Elite had no problem with. Due to it's Excursion and power handling, you could easily make the Elite play similarily low, but it took double the power to do so.

I haven't done an A/B comparison, but the IDMax I run now sounds very close to the Elite. I would say the Elite is certainly more low end oriented than the Max though, but not as much as the Xenon.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

Another one the memphis lvs
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Re: RSD 10" Mini-Review

Post by bdubs767 »

Mackenzie wrote:
bdubs767 wrote:
Bfowler wrote: the only thing i dont love about the rsd is it can't seem to hold extended low bass notes as well as the xenon.

im attemting one more try with the xenon in my car before giving up

box should be done by the end of the week

nothing can extend low like the xenon...nothing I have used has yet to come close, even a 13w7 and even 2 15s.
Apparently you forgot about the titanium 12d elite then :wink:
nothing compares to the low end...errin did a graph of it vs the 12" xenon killed it and every other thing in low end. :wink:
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

So when are you updating this review now that you solved your EQ crossover/high bass output issues, Tom?

Or right, you need a 10" sealed box... :D :D :D :D :D
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

I dnt recall the xenon killing the elite on the low end.
Last edited by Mackenzie on Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

And furthermore I do recall one sub beating the xenon that he graped, but I believe that was done on the old pg forum. I cant think of what sub beat it...
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

It was a Brahma or a Tempest, I can't remember. If you guys want a woofer that will move some air, check out the Parthanon.
Boomshackalacka
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

IIRC it was just the IDQ that had a lower F3, but from what I have heard, it doesn't play nearly like the Xenon does. I am definitely considering getting an IDQ to test once and for all... especially now that it looks like the new version is released.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

stipud wrote:No way country will EVER be played in my car :lol:
Yea, that's what I thought too. :oops:
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

the only sub that beat the Xenon on the low end extension was the IDQ and it was a negligible win. I have heard and used both the Xenon is far better suited to the low notes than the IDQ, in fact the RSd has better low tendencies than the IDQ, however the IDQ is more efficient than the Xenon so the test kind of flies out the window when you compare them on the same power and doing so would put the Xenon at an 6-8db discrepancy immediately and the RSd would be on the level with the IDQ at that point.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

VW337 wrote:the only sub that beat the Xenon on the low end extension was the IDQ and it was a negligible win.
Errin doesnt even the IDW beat the IDQ out? speaking of which there are two BNIB IDW on ebay right now, to rich for my blood tho.
VW337 wrote:I have heard and used both the Xenon is far better suited to the low notes than the IDQ, in fact the RSd has better low tendencies than the IDQ, however the IDQ is more efficient than the Xenon so the test kind of flies out the window when you compare them on the same power and doing so would put the Xenon at an 6-8db discrepancy immediately and the RSd would be on the level with the IDQ at that point.

couldn't agree w/ you more....in the real world results off of 500 watts the Xenon 12" plays lower then both the RSd 12" and IDQ 15". Yet both the RSd and IDQ are all around far better woofers and I really can't stand the xenon above 45hz. Unless you have massive midbass drivers up front that can play down to 45hz I wouldn't even consider the xenon, but if you have the midbass drivers up front it is really impossible to beat below 35hz.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

bdubs767 wrote: couldn't agree w/ you more....in the real world results off of 500 watts the Xenon 12" plays lower then both the RSd 12" and IDQ 15". Yet both the RSd and IDQ are all around far better woofers and I really can't stand the xenon above 45hz. Unless you have massive midbass drivers up front that can play down to 45hz I wouldn't even consider the xenon, but if you have the midbass drivers up front it is really impossible to beat below 35hz.
this weekend we are gonna find out if the sealed ti elites have what it takes
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Bfowler wrote:
bdubs767 wrote: couldn't agree w/ you more....in the real world results off of 500 watts the Xenon 12" plays lower then both the RSd 12" and IDQ 15". Yet both the RSd and IDQ are all around far better woofers and I really can't stand the xenon above 45hz. Unless you have massive midbass drivers up front that can play down to 45hz I wouldn't even consider the xenon, but if you have the midbass drivers up front it is really impossible to beat below 35hz.
this weekend we are gonna find out if the sealed ti elites have what it takes

you have them sealed off right? And the 10" should be a little better then the 12" up high...never played w/ the 10" tho
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Bfowler wrote:this weekend we are gonna find out if the sealed ti elites have what it takes
You should have a MUCH easier time with the Xenon 10 you are running. The 12's just play pointlessly low, while the 10's can still keep a good beat. It should work reasonably well for you...
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

stipud wrote:You should have a MUCH easier time with the Xenon 10 you are running. The 12's just play pointlessly low, while the 10's can still keep a good beat. It should work reasonably well for you...
thats what im really hoping for. im getting kinda sick of building boxes :P
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Well, if you can't get your sub to sound good on your music... stop changing your subs, just change your musical tastes!

LIL JON BOIEEE!!! (oh hell naw)
Mackenzie

Post by Mackenzie »

hmm
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

well the x10 is in. and we finally have a winner. it is everything i could want in a sub (minus its 22lbs) i don't care what the graphs and reviews say, this sub amazing. it plays equally as low as the rsd 12 and notably smoother. the extended low notes are just flawless, i think its extra excursion over the rsd12.

it might be short a few DB in the overall output department, but not enough for me to mind

who knows, now that im done figuring out my sub situation, i might do something crazy now like finish the rest of my system!

and since im keeping this sub the rsd 12 went into my brothers maxima...and he is a happy boy.

right now he just using a xs4600 running rsd65cs up front, rsd6 off the deck in the rear, and the rsd12 off the back of the 4600....not bad at all.

however whenever cecil gets some extra time, he will be running a xs2500 to the 12 and the xs2300 with variable crossover to the 6.5's (instead of being crossed over at 85, which is pointless for the rsd's)
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

Bfowler wrote:who knows, now that im done figuring out my sub situation, i might do something crazy now like finish the rest of my system!
Let me know...........
Bfowler wrote:instead of being crossed over at 85, which is pointless for the rsd's
Try this RNET info
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

i was looking for that r-net page, thanks mang.

i have a pretty good plan of attack for the rest of the set up, what is your Next weekend ( feb 3rd and/or 4th) looking like
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

You mean I need to plan ahead...........
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I can imagine how you feel about the X10. The X12 just played TOO low, but I am sure I would have been thrilled with the 10... a tiny woofer that plays with the depth of a 12, but accuracy of a 10? Sign me up. The only downside with the Xenon series is that they require such a large box, you could easily throw two conventional woofers in and get much more high end output with the same bottom end volume.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

yeah, i could have easily fit a piar of rsd 10's in the same box, but i am very happy with the super low end. you dont even really hear bass, you just hear the front stage and different levels of vibration. Mmmm 8)