clarion drz and p9 combo

Reviews for car audio, or general products.
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

clarion drz and p9 combo

Post by bdubs767 »

Well let me start off by saying both units are gorgeous and simply two of the best units you can buy here in the USA. Little back round info on how both the units were used...
x100.2 powering seas neo diy tweets
x200.4 powering Seas Excel w18nx and 2 15" B&C1500NW IB in the rear self
The mids and tweets are in vented kicks.

So lets start of with the Drz. This unit comes in from a cosmetic stand point of very simple and classy, no motorized face, no flip down tray to get the cds in, it's just right there. It offers four pre-outs with some of the nicest rca outs I've ever seen from a deck. The pre outs can be set for a normal use like front rear sub or in direct mode which allows you use it for a 3 way front set up plus a sub woofer. The chassis is copper which always gets my wheels turning, and the simple white light from the unit is very classy, no "rhinestone" look with this unit. The unit also comes with a power supply that is separate from the unit which clarion says is to reduce noise, which I can't really comment on besides the fact I had no noise issues running Rcas the length of the car.

Functionally the unit was so so to use. The basics like clock set up ect were easy to find but when it comes to tuning it could get tidious with the combo of buttons you have to press to get the xovers, eq, ta, phase ect. As for the tuning this is where the Drz IMO falls short compared to the p9. The 18 db slopes and only 5 Par. eq bands were a killer for me trying to get the 6.5 mids to blend with the 15s IB.

As for sound, this deck was hands down the best sounding unit in terms of detail I have ever used. The "top end sparkle" it had was amazing and nothing I had used before that had ever come close.

On to the P9 this is a two part unit, one part the cd player which is also a very basic unit but not as attractive as the drz IMO. It has a motorized face, which works well, not like many other units where they seem to takes hours to have the face open. Not many frills to this deck pretty basic. It also is a copper chassis, w/ 3 pre outs that I cant comment on because I haven't used them. I run the deck digital into the p9 proc. the second part to the unit, which also is very basic and has a copper chassis as well. The proc. has four pre outs, and a ground constant and remote hook up. Make sure in the back of the unit you have it set to either l/r or both at the same time.

Functionally this unit only has tuning options on it and one area where you can add text to the unit's display if you would like. This is a unit designed for one thing only... SQ, it is not intended to run four corners of the car and has no mode that I am aware of to do so. The pre outs are set to highs, mid, low, sub. As for tuning this unit it is by far the easiest I have ever used, you can literally, with the remote have an active system ready to play with in 5 minutes. Tuning options are amazing, you can pretty much do what ever you want with slopes from 6 db to 36 db and 31 bands of eq.

Sound is amazing also, pretty much the same as the drz just not as much sparkle on the top end. The stage was better w/ the p9 though, as the depth, height, and width improved with the p9.

Overall both amazing units hands down beat anything else I've used, but I give a slight nod to the p9
Last edited by bdubs767 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can one send others to war if hes not willing to go himself?
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

I spell check it for you!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Bfowler wrote:I spell check it for you!

sweet your my new secretary still been to lazy to re read it lol
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

you really want these sold huh :wink:
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Bfowler wrote:you really want these sold huh :wink:
no...drz is already sold and the p9 went into my car. Staying there too.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

ah, well i retract my taunting then
bdubs767
Hukd on Foniks

Post by bdubs767 »

Bfowler wrote:ah, well i retract my taunting then
as long as theres no pissing :wink: