Elite active review

Reviews for car audio, or general products.
smgreen20

Elite active review

Post by smgreen20 »

Well, after some trial and error...Funny story... I think I've got it dialed in. I set the mid chs of the ZX450v2 at 100 wrms and the tweets set to match w/the sound to blend. I'm guessing they're at 75 watts.

I haven't gotten on them hard yet, but when I get the door pods done and get it RTA'd I'll be on them pretty hard.

I had this issue where (this is where I use PANTRA to set/test) the song Sluaghtered was supposed to start on the left w/a short sound from the right about 3X. That didn't sound right. So I pull out the IASCA test disc and went to track 10- center stage, where a guy states his place in conjunction to the mic from left to right in 5 spots along the way. It was all messed up.

Confussed, I thought the mids where L to R and R to L, so I switched them and played the IASCA disc again and now I have sound from both sides at the same time :? :evil:

I closely looked at everything from the HU back. Then I saw it as I was looking in the ZX450v2s manual. I thought I might've had one of the 100 buttons pushed wrong or not pushed. I saw in the manual That to the left of the terminals on the amp is the left side sound and the right side the right. Well, in my truck the amp is installed facing the front so the drivers side speaker wires cross the riight chs of the amp and vise versa. Long story short, I had the speakers wired to take input from the wrong side. The drivers side was playing the pass side and so forth.

What a dumbass I felt like. :idiot: :idiot: :idiot: :idiot:

They sound sweet for now.

I did the set-up test that the Eclipse CD8455 HU has built in, the pink noise generator. There's a slight bump in the 6k range and the 12k range and a whole lot of bump in the 250 Hz on down range. 8) Sounds really clean though. Staging this way is superb.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Re: Elite active review

Post by gkitching »

smgreen20 wrote: I thought I might've had one of the 100 buttons pushed wrong or not pushed.
haha I did that all the time with those amps. As versital as they are, there was always some setting I'd forget or button accidentally bumped.

What x-over points and slopes did you end up using? I take it you used the Audio Control for those functions?
Greg Kitching
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

No, the DQS is strictly a 6 ch 30 band EQ. The Eclipse HU does all the Xover functions. I think I went w/3.15K Hz 24dB/HP and 12dB/LP. I'll have to go look. Thanks for the tweets. It's really put my mind at ease.

So far the sound is as clean as I've ever heard even at ear piercing levels. I'll have a vid up soon.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

So what would you guys want me to do for you in a test.

Songs??

Videos??

If you guys want me to try something, let me know. If it's in my means and I feel secure enough, I'll do it.

Install:
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

Do you have access to an rta or spl meter? I guess you could do a demo showing the system playing a high volume and take an spl reading while doing it, as sort of a comfirmation that the tweeters are hanging tuff with extreme levels. Maybe show your x-over points. Of coarse we wouldn't be able to experience the sound quality but just some documentary type of review so there's no question about their ability. Something that would satisfy anyone's dought.

Maybe somone would like to suggest songs or tracks that will really test them. I'm sure everyone has a few favorites they know will stretch the surrounds :P
Greg Kitching
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

If I can get RP to bring back the TL from the 2nd store I'll take a vid of what it'll hit.

As soon a I get the whole install done, I'll be getting it RTA'd.

I can do a quick vid of the Xover points so you can see visually from the HU what everything is set at.

Install:
edwellywasalreadytaken

Post by edwellywasalreadytaken »

smgreen20 -
Just to make sure I understand - are yo saying you have the tweets HP at 3.15 w/ 24dp slope and the mids LP at 3.15 w/ 12db slope?

Also, can you describe the vehicle and location of the speakers?

MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
Erik
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

Yes that is correct.

It's a 2000 GMC Sierra Z71 ext cab. Mids in the door and tweets in the a pillars.

Install: