RSd 65cs questions & REVIEW and others

Reviews for car audio, or general products.
Jopop

Post by Jopop »

stipud wrote:Awesome review! Thanks so much for detailing your active setup for us. I know numerous people have been asking about running the RSDs active, but we have had little experience doing so until now. I have moved this post to the reviews section for safekeeping!

When I listened to the RSDs, the tweeter sounded like a small version of the 1" PG Ti Elite tweeter, which was built by Morel. I believe PG crossed that tweeter over at 3.2kHz, but Morel crosses them even lower in their equivalent setup. As such, I would probably recommend a Morel tweeter to replace the RSD in your install. The sound should be very well matched to the original, while letting you drop the frequency quite a bit lower.

Check these threads for some more info on the Ti Elite tweeter:
http://phoenixphorum.com/pg-elite-6-5s- ... t6165.html
http://phoenixphorum.com/elite-active-r ... t6015.html
Thanks! I am sorry this thread is now very cluttered. If possible i could rewrite the review sections and post them here, and this thread could go back to Car Audio?

The interesting thing about my setup is that i googled a bit and found several other people running the same amount of underlap when running these speakers active so i guess they just sound good like this. I gotta say i appreciate the unstrained natural sound from the tweeters when they're crossed this high. I guess that's a ticker for the mellow and smoothMorel sound that pretty much anyone will appreciate.

And i don't think i am going to go for a Morel tweeter although i do like them. I have had Morels before and they were lovely but after a while i found myself getting a bit accustomed or even bored with the sound and wanting more. However on a really long drive they do hold up well and allow you to have a normal conversation with your buddies with the music on rather loud. They're excellent at just blending in with everything like that, where for example an inverted focal beryllium would be annoying and you'd find yourself turning the music off in periods due to ear fatigue.

FYI the morel kit was a Pulse 5, so nothing amazing.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

If not Morel, then I would probably go with a Tymphany tweeter. Considering you are in Norway, they should be highly available as well.

Perhaps the Vifa Dual-concentric tweeters? I absolutely loved them in Martin Kruit's setup (installed on-axis), and I think they would be a very good match to the RSD woofer's sound as well. You could easily cross them over at 2k if you wanted to. Unfortunately they roll off very quickly when installed off-axis, so they might not work for you.
http://tymphany.com/xt25sc90-04
Jopop

Post by Jopop »

Ah yes the XT25 series. It's supposed to be a very very nice tweeter..

But, It's called XT25SC90, is this the same as the XT25SC50?

Check the bottom tweeter on this page:
http://www.mamut.net/controls/shop/shop ... =43&gid=42

Those are pretty much the only Vifa's available in Norway.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Hmmm... Probably an earlier revision. Not sure what the difference is.
finkle636

Post by finkle636 »

Ive got these and the 6.5" driver does play very low. on certain songs you would be forgiven for thinking theres a low power 8" sub in the car.
cojones

Post by cojones »

I just put a pair of them in my work car to see what all this mibass talk was about. I can't belive it. The mid bass from these things is insane. It blends and complements my single idmax ten perfectly. I'm astonished, as a Ti9 owner I though nothing under $400 would satisfy me. I was wrong.
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

i didnt believe either, untill i got a pair-remarkable-way 2 go pg!!!!
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
LITHIUM

Post by LITHIUM »

Im currently working on my first 2way active build. ive been very impressed with the set run passive and cant wait to have them active and doors deadened.

i have a build log on ssa ---link in next post----

hu is Clarion DXZ785USB
tweet amp is kicker zx100.2
mid amp kicker kx250.2

sub AA arsenal
amp kenwood excelon kac-x10d

dynamat in trunk and roll of raammat for the doors and other some other spots...

does anyone have any advice on running these active? ive got a good idea of where to start my settings from other posts.
LITHIUM

Post by LITHIUM »