RSd 65cs questions & REVIEW and others

Reviews for car audio, or general products.
Jopop

RSd 65cs questions & REVIEW and others

Post by Jopop »

Hi :) New PG owner here :) I bought the RSD 6.5 kit since i heard it brought lots of midbass for the dollar and i love me some midbass. Actually I am a total midbass junkie :lol:

What power are you guys running to the RSD 6.5 midbasses when you run it active? I have an Audison 2x65W, but i guess it'll only be good for the tweets. I've searched and it seems people usually run 150 watts rms per channel when running with the passive xover.. but do i need that much for active?

Also open for suggestions on the amp. Prefer a reasonably cheap solution, but won't buy anything crappy.. I understand the RSd amps are decent, as well as the discontinued xenon amps?

Hope the RSd's will give me the midbass I'm looking for, i don't want to shell out $300 for the Hertz HV165L midbasses (which are just amazing).

Oh and does the RSd mid suffer from "ringing" at 4-5khz like the seas Excels with metal cones?

And how's the off axis response on the woofer?
Last edited by Jopop on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

-the off axis is still pretty great, you might try flipping one out of phase depending on the car

i haven't experienced the ringing in any i have installed. they have a silk dome, so it shouldn't be present. they are a bit bright if mounted high in the door or a pillar, so you might have to attenuate them down.

they aren't the end all be all of mid-bass'. pitting them against the hertz's might be a bit f a stretch, but they are Damn amazing for the price bracket.

i think 75 would be very sufficient for them if you are going active but i wouldn't hesitate to run 100 or even slightly over to them (and shameless plug...i have a rsd250.2 i have been looking to sell...see my thread in the FS section...:))
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Jopop

Post by Jopop »

Bfowler wrote:-the off axis is still pretty great, you might try flipping one out of phase depending on the car

i haven't experienced the ringing in any i have installed. they have a silk dome, so it shouldn't be present. they are a bit bright if mounted high in the door or a pillar, so you might have to attenuate them down.

they aren't the end all be all of mid-bass'. pitting them against the hertz's might be a bit f a stretch, but they are Damn amazing for the price bracket.

i think 75 would be very sufficient for them if you are going active but i wouldn't hesitate to run 100 or even slightly over to them (and shameless plug...i have a rsd250.2 i have been looking to sell...see my thread in the FS section...:))
Well i wasn't thinking about ringing from the tweets.. usually a metal cone woofer will have some high frequency ringing going on right? I know my seas excels in the living room ring like crazy w/o a notch filter on 4.5k. I also think the passive xover on the RSds have a notch filter right.. i think i saw it mentioned in a thread here when i searched once.

I dunno where to put the tweets yet. My soundstage is messy and unpresent ATM 3-way with midbass in door, mid in dash and tweet on sail panel. I understand the closer the midbass and tweet are the better it is, and while the height of the soundstage might be compromised by mounting them down by the mids it seems the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.. I usually like a bright "in your face" tweeter with pronounced cymbal crashes etc. but i can't stand the icepick to the ear-effect of some tweets.

But then again i am gonna use active xovers and i have time alignment for each channel so i should be able to make it work. Gonna put some double sided tape on them and move them around a bit.

The hertz have amazing midbass but off axis performance can be pretty bad and they're best suited for very good, dead and non-leaky installs i.e. a kickpanel.. and mine's going in the door (it's deadened though).

And while 65W might be good I'd be lacking an amp for the tweets.. i could run it off the HU but I predict it's gonna suck pretty badly like that. I have an Alpine 9887.

I'd be all over that amp if you wouldn't mind shipping off.. look at my flag (i have lots of references available from other US forums and eBay though if it ever gets to that).

However as suggested in another thread I am gonna run them passive for a while to get a feel for how they should sound before i mess with them active. Why are you selling that 250.2?
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

Jopop wrote:Well i wasn't thinking about ringing from the tweets.. usually a metal cone woofer will have some high frequency ringing going on right?
whoops. reading comprehension > me

no, the cone is still a polyurethane-esque cone, so i have experienced any ringing from that either.
Jopop wrote: I dunno where to put the tweets yet. My soundstage is messy and unpresent ATM 3-way with midbass in door, mid in dash and tweet on sail panel. I understand the closer the midbass and tweet are the better it is, and while the height of the soundstage might be compromised by mounting them down by the mids it seems the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.. I usually like a bright "in your face" tweeter with pronounced cymbal crashes etc. but i can't stand the icepick to the ear-effect of some tweets.
totally agree. sounds like you should be fine then. if worse comes to worse just create a grill for it made from fleece to dampen it just a bit.
Jopop wrote:
The hertz have amazing midbass but off axis performance can be pretty bad and they're best suited for very good, dead and non-leaky installs i.e. a kickpanel.. and mine's going in the door (it's deadened though).
the RSD's really excel there. an enclosure for them actually seems to inhibit their performance
Jopop wrote:
I'd be all over that amp if you wouldn't mind shipping off.. look at my flag (i have lots of references available from other US forums and eBay though if it ever gets to that).

However as suggested in another thread I am gonna run them passive for a while to get a feel for how they should sound before i mess with them active. Why are you selling that 250.2?
[/quote]

i have shipped Europe a few times, i have no problem doing it again. i would have to go see what the rates would be though.

i am selling because i bought it in a package deal that included a sub and box for my girlfriend. i was looking for a rsd300.1 to match it when i stumbled upon a x100.2 and x400.1 for a steal, so i went with those and am left with the lone Rsd with no use. i would be happy to post some pictures if you would like too. i have quite a few good references on this board also
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

I would say 100W RMS active would be plenty, especially if that power is dedicated to your mids (with additional power to the tweets). I'm pushing about 105W RMS to them using passives and they get plenty loud. I guess it all depends on how loud you want them and how much of your power you want for musical peaks.

I have mine installed in completely sealed, heavy ass kick panels and I don't notice any ringing, but perhaps my ear is not tuned to what you are describing so I just don't notice if there is any.

My tweets are down in the kicks as well and I'm quite surprised by the height of my stage, considering how low the tweeters are.

I have the 6" and the midbass is very good, I suspect the 6.5" is even better.

I think you'll be pleased with the midbass for the price. I'm certain you can find better, but the RSd's are just a great performance to price ratio AND, they are easy to setup and have sounding good fairly quickly. No constant fussing required if you do it more or less right the first time. Of course, if you like fussing with settings and what not, it's not like you can't.

If anything "bad", you might notice the slow response around 300Hz that WV337 has described a few times on the phorum... although I must admit that I do not precisely notice it myself.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

they also do have a break in period becasue they have the tinsil leads woven into the spider
Jopop

Post by Jopop »

Thanks. I just assumed the cones were metal, lol :lol:

Thanks for the replies, I'll see how it goes :D
Jopop

Post by Jopop »

What amps are you active guys running on them? I thought I'd might go for a RSD 500.4 mostly because it's fairly cheap and seems decent.. but i dunno if it'll deliver enough oomph to the midbasses?
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

The RSD 500.4 is a good amp but the crossovers only go to 400 Hz so you will
need a processor to set your crossover higher if you want to go active.
Jopop

Post by Jopop »

Well I've packed them up and started on the install. The midwoofers seem kinda flimsy compared to my old ones but they look really nice. The tweets look really good too but they're really large though which makes fitting them a bit hard.

Too bad the midwoofers don't come with a screw-type connector, and the connectors it comes with are kinda off-standard size (i guess they're car stereo standard but i don't have those).

I'll have to solder them. A lil more work, but at least I'll get a good connection. Heating the iron as we speak
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

nice!

yeah, they aren't to impressive to look at...but the subs are the same way.

the tweet can come out of the housing.give it a quarter turn and it should pop out
HoseHead
Tim Horton Himself

Post by HoseHead »

Jopop wrote:I'll have to solder them. A lil more work, but at least I'll get a good connection. Heating the iron as we speak
I solder ALL my connections.
For mids and tweets (18-14ga) I use a cordless Cold Fusion unit - Father's Day one year?
For big gauge (subs), I roll out the extension cord and take the 1500 watt Weller to 'er!!
I wonder if that's why I never have a speaker wire failure?? :shock: :shock:
The only stupid question is the one not asked .......
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Hey Brian, you mention that the RSd Components sound better IB than sealed... are you sure? :D :D

I'd love to know more because I got mine sealed to shit and they sound great!
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
Jopop

Post by Jopop »

HoseHead wrote:
Jopop wrote:I'll have to solder them. A lil more work, but at least I'll get a good connection. Heating the iron as we speak
I solder ALL my connections.
For mids and tweets (18-14ga) I use a cordless Cold Fusion unit - Father's Day one year?
For big gauge (subs), I roll out the extension cord and take the 1500 watt Weller to 'er!!
I wonder if that's why I never have a speaker wire failure?? :shock: :shock:
Wat? Cold solder? Do those work decently?

I have a Weller W61C, it's a 60 degree temp controlled iron right now with a 700 degree tip. I use Kester #44 solder, it's the best (although it smells like marihuana burning when the flux melts).

Solder is the best of course but sometimes it's just not practical. No problem with components though because i just solder the wire on the speakers inside and use the screw terminal on the xover. And i run 10 gauge to the xover and 12 gauge to the tweet :lol: Overkill, but no problem. I think the included wire to the tweet is 14 gauge though, and that's kinda thick (other speakers I've had have had 16-18awg wires).
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Jopop wrote:although it smells like marihuana burning when the flux melts
Is that a bad thing? :lol:
Jopop

Post by Jopop »

Bfowler wrote:nice!

yeah, they aren't to impressive to look at...but the subs are the same way.

the tweet can come out of the housing.give it a quarter turn and it should pop out
Yeah the basket was pretty thin. Overall it also seemed smaller than my old speaker set, but no worries.

I figured out the part bout the tweeter by double checking the manual 8) So i got them to barely fit in the stock tweeter hole with some sticky putty.

I used to use the sail panels but I figure I'll give the stock location a shot since these are rather big and my sail panels are really small. Also i understand that it's good to have the tweet as close as possible and on the same plane as the woofer.

So right now it's about 6 or 7 in from the center of the woofer , up in the door. Good position for on axis listening though although it is a bit far away from the woofer. I wired the tweeter out of phase but I'll try it out in phase too..

But no worries since I'll time align them perfectly with computer software anyways, but not till this weekend i think. Also i want to give active crossover a shot but i only have a crappy BOSS amp in addition to the two channel Audison I'm running now. Maybe it could drive the tweets or mids, it's rated at 2x110W / 4 ohm and it seems kinda heavy so i think it can deliver at least 50 watts, possibly up to 80 or 90.

Anyway on to a review. I did the passenger side first and tested with my old speakers (Fusion powerplants 3-way) on the left side, RSDs on passenger side. At first it seemed the midbass was more powerful on the old speakers and the tweeter on the RSDs was just all around better, more pronounced and smoother. Midbass on old speakers was noticably louder and more powerful.

I was a bit disappointed. Did the other side though.

Okay. At first, i was a bit disappointed with the midbass output. But, i then turned the HU all the way up and at about 32/35 it just took off. Turns out these need more juice than my old ones to really get the midbass going. Or their impedance is a little higher.

They also seem to handle a lot more wattage. I'm maxing out the HU and they still go on clean and strong where my old ones would sound like shit at volume 28/35. I need to up the gain just a lil bit on the amp now, but it's getting late so i won't bother till tomorrow..

They play overall louder and stronger and the midbass is very clean and powerful even at very loud volume. The midbass isn't really over emphasized compared to the mids and highs but they are emphasized a bit but it still does seem very natural and the midbass response is butter smooth all the way with no muddiness or murky bass at all. Very tight and clear sounding midbasses with that extra "kick".

The midbass is just very full and smooth. Drums, bass and electric guitar just sounds really good with real power and authority and it's just really fun and involving to listen to.

The midrange is a bit laid back maybe compared to the midbass but theres got to be some tradeoffs somewhere. This isn't a big drawback for me at all though as i tend to not like my ears being pierced with loud female vocals and loud piercing guitar solos. It doesn't seem lacking or masked in anyway though and sounds clear with good definition. Off axis response does indeed seem really good although it's a one piece cone (no phase plug). It could be better though but it's fine really.

The tweeters are also pretty nice. I run mine on 0db and out pf phase. Cymbal crashes are well pronounced and instrument attack etc. all really snap and are easily distinguised and in conjunction with the good midbass really gives you that good "thud". They are pretty smooth tweeters and are generally very nice on the ears. At incredibly loud volumes there's a bit of ear pain/fatigue though but this is at LOUD volume and it could just as well be amp distortion as it could be a chracteristic of the tweeter. There is some very slight chainsawy messiness maybe at around 3-4k. Could be the quality of the recordings, or could be that the tweeter isn't as clear sounding as it should be in this frequency region. Or it could be a side effect from out of phase wiring, or a flaw in the xover. Blah blah. Overall the tweets are pretty good. They're not amazing like the woofers, but they're by all means good tweeters with a quality sound, some minor flaws are to be expected at $87 for the whole set. I could see an upgrade to some Seas in the future.

Overall this set outperforms my old one which was 3.5x the price. The tweets were messier and more masked, the mids were piercing and the mid basses couldn't handle as much power before they sounded messy. There's nothing in this set that stands out as a major flaw apart from the seemingly flimsy constructed woofer and large plasticy shell around the tweet, but that's really really minor when you get sound this good at this low a price. Some minor flaws are that the tweets are a little messy sounding around 3-4k and the midrange might not be pronounced enough for some. And the woofers really love and need lots and lots of power. I think I'll need to upgrade to more amp power to push this kit to the max.

BTW i read the midbass gets even nicer after break-in? True? What kind of hours are we talking?
Last edited by Jopop on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jopop

Post by Jopop »

stipud wrote:
Jopop wrote:although it smells like marihuana burning when the flux melts
Is that a bad thing? :lol:
Sometimes i get wacky flashbacks from a distant past time :shock:

I really like the smell though :lol:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Wow! That's an excellent review! I didn't think there were any other metalhead audiophiles out there. :lol:

What kind of sound treatment have you done? Deadening your doors will yield a huge improvement. As for break in, I noticed a significant improvement in Fuzzysnuggleduck's setup after only a few loud sessions.

I too was underwhelmed by the RSDs appearance... the base subwoofers are very cheap looking as well, especially when you remove the rubber boot! But once I heard them play, I was hooked! The price compared with the sound you get is astounding... I simply can't think of anything better. The subwoofer's response is also very well matched to the components, so it seems PG learned their lesson after the Xenon line (super deep sub and midbass lacking components).

Now if you think these RSD components sound good for the money, we need to find some way to get you an RSD comp 10 :D
Jopop

Post by Jopop »

stipud wrote:Wow! That's an excellent review! I didn't think there were any other metalhead audiophiles out there. :lol:

What kind of sound treatment have you done? Deadening your doors will yield a huge improvement. As for break in, I noticed a significant improvement in Fuzzysnuggleduck's setup after only a few loud sessions.

I too was underwhelmed by the RSDs appearance... the base subwoofers are very cheap looking as well, especially when you remove the rubber boot! But once I heard them play, I was hooked! The price compared with the sound you get is astounding... I simply can't think of anything better. The subwoofer's response is also very well matched to the components, so it seems PG learned their lesson after the Xenon line (super deep sub and midbass lacking components).

Now if you think these RSD components sound good for the money, we need to find some way to get you an RSD comp 10 :D
Doors are about as dead as concrete :D The trunk needs some deadening badly though.

And the RSD comp 10" would be kickass but if i factor in shipping and taxes I'm looking at $300+ easily and i scored a brand new Hertz HX250D for $120 or so with full warranty etc :? This is supposed to be a really kickass woofer though, dunno if you've heard it but it generally wins about every SQ comp it's in around here and it fucking SLAMS if you want it to. Lol I'll probably burn this one too though :( Burnt two subs now in 5 days :roll:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Jopop wrote:And the RSD comp 10" would be kickass but if i factor in shipping and taxes I'm looking at $300+ easily and i scored a brand new Hertz HX250D for $120 or so with full warranty etc :? This is supposed to be a really kickass woofer though, dunno if you've heard it but it generally wins about every SQ comp it's in around here and it fucking SLAMS if you want it to. Lol I'll probably burn this one too though :( Burnt two subs now in 5 days :roll:
Hertz looks like an amazing brand, but availability here is slim. Must be easy to get for you though, since they are a Euro brand. You guys get all the good Brax/Helix stuff too :(

Hmm... nothing burns subs like a clipped signal. I don't suppose you have an oscilloscope handy, but have you considered turning down your gains? :lol:

Using this method to set gains is the safest, but also yields an underwhelming bass response unless you are playing -0dB tones.
http://phoenixphorum.com/gain-setting-w ... vt280.html

This is why I generally do this gain setting trick with my LPL set near the lowest volume. Then from there I can turn it up if need be ;)
Jopop

Post by Jopop »

stipud wrote:
Jopop wrote:And the RSD comp 10" would be kickass but if i factor in shipping and taxes I'm looking at $300+ easily and i scored a brand new Hertz HX250D for $120 or so with full warranty etc :? This is supposed to be a really kickass woofer though, dunno if you've heard it but it generally wins about every SQ comp it's in around here and it fucking SLAMS if you want it to. Lol I'll probably burn this one too though :( Burnt two subs now in 5 days :roll:
Hertz looks like an amazing brand, but availability here is slim. Must be easy to get for you though, since they are a Euro brand. You guys get all the good Brax/Helix stuff too :(

Hmm... nothing burns subs like a clipped signal. I don't suppose you have an oscilloscope handy, but have you considered turning down your gains? :lol:

Using this method to set gains is the safest, but also yields an underwhelming bass response unless you are playing -0dB tones.
http://phoenixphorum.com/gain-setting-w ... vt280.html

This is why I generally do this gain setting trick with my LPL set near the lowest volume. Then from there I can turn it up if need be ;)
I have a scope but it's the old kind with a phosphor (sp?) screen and the lines are barely readable now :lol: The last one could only take 250wrms, i was running 350 and then some to it and on top of that the surround was pierced due to a drill bit breaking :evil: It didn't like 60hz 0dB :cry: I don't think there was any clipping going on since i would've heard it i think, and i wasn't really playing it that loud.

Plus before i dented the surround the gain was the same and the sub was fine. So it is probably connected to denting the surround.

Now the RE12 blowout was just stupid, running a 400 watt amp to just below clipping and playing 50hz constantly for 15 seconds.. burn. It can take like a 1000 as long as it's music.
Jopop

Post by Jopop »

Well i dunno! The tweets seem harsher today than they did yesterday :( I think it's from reflections in the dash. I am going to make some cloth patches to dampen the reflections.

Oh and the midbasses can go f*n LOW :o I have them running at 50hz now and they love it :lol: Ridiculous :lol: They're doing fine! They're also going stong at 40h but they distort a little too soon for me.

Kinda strange as i thought the spider and suspension seemed kinda soft. They do sound a lot different from how they feel.
Bfowler

Post by Bfowler »

Jopop wrote:Well i dunno! The tweets seem harsher today than they did yesterday :( I think it's from reflections in the dash. I am going to make some cloth patches to dampen the reflections.

Oh and the midbasses can go f*n LOW :o I have them running at 50hz now and they love it :lol: Ridiculous :lol: They're doing fine! They're also going stong at 40h but they distort a little too soon for me.

Kinda strange as i thought the spider and suspension seemed kinda soft. They do sound a lot different from how they feel.
:D they sure do! now you know what all the fuss was about.

they are champs as a dedicated midbass with a higher end mid and tweet to go with em
Jopop

Post by Jopop »

Yess so I've had them for a while now! :) I went active today.. and it just sounds f*n amazing. Some observations.

I gotta say if you're off axis with the midbass like i am you do not want to cross it over higher than say 2.5k. I dunno if it is different on-axis i.e. in a kickpanel install but if you want crazy loud without ear splitting ringing mids cross them at 2.5k and no higher. I cross 2.5k now @12db slope and it's sounding really $$$$$$ good. But 3.2k (which is the next step) @ 24db is not sounding very good, it gets tinny and fatiguing.

Now the problem is the tweet being 3/4" and all doesn't really like to be crossed down low at all. At 3.2k 24db i gotta watch the volume for it not to distort audibly (just minor and not icepicky, but it's def. there). At 4k and 24db steep it's gold and sounds good and unstrained at high volumes.

Now with an underlap like that it does sound fairly laid-back and has a very soft and "natural" sound in a way which some people might like, and lots of corksniffer speakers are built with an XO much in the same way as this to sound pleasing when you have shrillish female vocals i.e. Diana Krall etc. but it sounds a bit too soft and not percussive enough for me so i guess I'm looking at upgrading the tweet to something that'll cross low.

Oh and it sounds a magnitude better overall now. The midbass is just so much more unstrained and plays crazy loud. In my door i found the optimum xo point to be about 63hz 12db steep. 50hz 24db steep works too but i found 63hz 12db blends better with the sub for some reason.

If i wanted all-out SQ I'd cross over with no lapping at 50hz between sub and midwoof but i like me some extra punch usually so i put it either at 63hz 12db or 80hz 24db works equally well but i tend to prefer 63hz since it's a bit less boomy.

On passive it can get a bit fatiguing with the tweet distorting rather early IMO (but i play very loud) and the woofer crossed a bit high but I'm off axis. Also the amp just seems to control the mid woof 110% better in active mode and there's this certain clarity that just isn't there with the passive XO IMO.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Awesome review! Thanks so much for detailing your active setup for us. I know numerous people have been asking about running the RSDs active, but we have had little experience doing so until now. I have moved this post to the reviews section for safekeeping!

When I listened to the RSDs, the tweeter sounded like a small version of the 1" PG Ti Elite tweeter, which was built by Morel. I believe PG crossed that tweeter over at 3.2kHz, but Morel crosses them even lower in their equivalent setup. As such, I would probably recommend a Morel tweeter to replace the RSD in your install. The sound should be very well matched to the original, while letting you drop the frequency quite a bit lower.

Check these threads for some more info on the Ti Elite tweeter:
http://phoenixphorum.com/pg-elite-6-5s- ... t6165.html
http://phoenixphorum.com/elite-active-r ... t6015.html