Saeco Armoma + Baratza Maestro

Reviews for car audio, or general products.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Saeco Armoma + Baratza Maestro

Post by stipud »

I just got my new espresso machine and grinder last night. Wow. It makes really good coffee! And I usually hate coffee! With good beans it's definitely tastier than 95% of coffee shops out there.

The pressurized portafilter makes it much easier to brew a good shot. There's just the right amount of crema; WAY better than a moka pot. A 2-shot pull takes the perfect 24 seconds, without having to get your grind and tamp perfect. In fact, I don't tamp at all, just fill the portafilter to about 3/4 full and gently pat it down with my fingers. The steam wand seems to make great stiff foam without having to fart around manually frothing the milk. Very easy to make a solid cappuccino. I also prime the machine and steam wand before and after each use, in order to get the best results.

The grinder is freaking awesome too! No static whatsoever, and the grind is so fine and consistent... it's miles better than anything I've had ground commercially. It can grind FINE as well; I have to grind my espresso at #7 or it can bind up the machine :lol:... #1 is like dust :shock:

So for anyone looking for a cheap espresso setup, look no further than the Saeco Aroma, and Baratza Maestro grinder. :)

It's available in a package from creativecookware: http://www.creativecookware.com/saeco_machines.htm

Shipping was quick, and no duty or brokerage fees for Canuckistanians or Americans. The guy even gave me a 10% discount just for asking (or you can get him to beat the price of a different website).
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

hey stipud, if u can get the shots to come out faster, maybe 14-18secs., called ristrito(spelled right?), ull still get the heart, body, and crema, and itll have an even more natural swet flavor, if thats what u like; but u didnt tamp and they pulled @ 24seconds-if ur happy & like it-leave it the way it is-always( as i m sure u know), use only arabicia beans 8)
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

Starbucks anyone? :)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

oldskoolmseriesfan wrote:Starbucks anyone? :)
I used to work there. This thing makes way better coffee and foam than I could ever make on their fully automated machines.
thedeal7235

Post by thedeal7235 »

i ran stores for them in the Mid-Atlantic- washington dc, maryland, and virginia for 6 years, Howard even gave me several awards, ill post some pics sometime!!!! thanx for the review, ill check it out sometime in the near future-Christian
as she walked out the door she expressed, 'enjoy your amp addiction'
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

thedeal7235 wrote:hey stipud, if u can get the shots to come out faster, maybe 14-18secs., called ristrito(spelled right?), ull still get the heart, body, and crema, and itll have an even more natural swet flavor, if thats what u like; but u didnt tamp and they pulled @ 24seconds-if ur happy & like it-leave it the way it is-always( as i m sure u know), use only arabicia beans 8)
A true ristretto shot shouldn't take less time, but you should get less volume due to a tighter grind. Ristretto = 0.75oz in 25 seconds, but a standard pull gives you 1oz in the same time (excluding crema). I can shoot either way by modifying my grind to a #5 or #7 :)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

thedeal7235 wrote:i ran stores for them in the Mid-Atlantic- washington dc, maryland, and virginia for 6 years, Howard even gave me several awards, ill post some pics sometime!!!! thanx for the review, ill check it out sometime in the near future-Christian
Then you should be familiar with the old Barista machine. It's actually a Saeco Aroma under a different shell, with a few minor differences.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

The wife cheaped out on the coffee this time around. Anybody for a cup of MJB? :cry: :cry: :cry:
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

oldskoolmseriesfan wrote:The wife cheaped out on the coffee this time around. Anybody for a cup of MJB? :cry: :cry: :cry:
We are using Phil & Sebastian espresso roast right now, but we usually buy your local roast; 49th Parallel. We get a good discount since our friend works at a shop that brews their coffee. :D

Our local roaster Fratello is pretty good as well. I have yet to try Planet Coffee or Big Mountain, though I think Wendy has had both.