Dcon12d4

Reviews for car audio, or general products.
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

Wakeup wrote:If it ever makes it back to PDX....I'd still like to check it out....I now have access to a good box maker! :)

As you guys will see soon with my upcomming new install.
as opposed to that brian guy
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
denim

Post by denim »

Bfowler wrote:
Wakeup wrote:If it ever makes it back to PDX....I'd still like to check it out....I now have access to a good box maker! :)

Ouch.
Wakeup
Mr. Nice Guy

Post by Wakeup »

Bfowler wrote:

hmmm....I dont recall anyone offering! :P

As stated I NOW HAVE ACCESS....

Never said anyone was not good or good or better or not better.

I stated earlier on in the thread I did not have a box...and I think the only thing that was said was we could use your box...but then thats just not really giving the sub a good run thru...so that didn't make sense. Anyway no harm no foul...no worries...it's all ok right?!?
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Well, I'm done playing with this in the FJ. I did try to invert mount it today in the sealed box that the Exile is in, but I couldn't get it to seal and there were some air leaks. I think in order to invert it I would have to take the gasket off and make a different gasket somehow. The holes did line up, but I just couldn't get it sealed. And to be quite honest it kinda scarred me having that inverted in the back of the FJ like that. I throw all sorts of stuff in the back, and it sits up there a ways. I really don't think the box is going anywhere, but this is not my sub and I really don't want anything to happen to it. :wink:

So, final impressions in the FJ will be based only on having it mounted in the ABC box. First of all let me say that I was right, the wife HATED this!! She started her whining about the box being in the FJ before she ever heard it. She was complaining that it would be too much bass. MAYBE FOR HER IT WAS!! :twisted: :twisted: I thought it sounded pretty damn good! It did bring out the rattles in the FJ unlike the Exile set up in there now. The sub in the ABC box gets low and loud, just how I like it! :lol:

I tried Alice in Chains - Unplugged right off the bat and it sounded great! It is a lot harder to blend the sub stage with the front stage when using the ABC box so I did the best I could. The sub was overpowering the front stage, but oddly enough sounded pretty good doing it. The bass notes were hitting with some pretty good authority, but did get a little sloppy at higher volumes. I think the box is not tuned quite right for this sub, but if I turned it down a little it snapped right back. I really did enjoy when I turned it down a little, it was still loud, yet sounded good and felt more in control.

Then I threw in some old school rap, Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg. I keep this CD around to remind me of my high school days and to test out subs. This is where this sub started to shine. In the ABC box running off the back channels of my Xenon 200.4 listening to some Snoop Dogg this was lethal!! I was just playing around at my parents (because it's in the country) and it brought my dad out of the house to see what the hell was going on! :twisted: :twisted: I just kept getting louder and louder, yet stayed in control the whole time. This was a fun test!

I have seen in the past where people will recommend different subs for different music, and that seems to be the case at least in this application. I really like the way it sounded on a moderate level playing Alice in Chains, but when I threw the rap stuff in there it seemed to come alive! For most of these tests I had the LPF set at 80hz.

Tomorrow I'll get it installed in the car in a sealed box (1.25 cu ft IIRC) where I'll have some better control over the settings. It will be powered by a Xenon 600.1 at 8 ohms and be running active. I'll be back with more listening impressions. :wink:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Run it at 2 ohms as well, if you can... I wanna see how that thing does with some power on it.

Thanks for the awesome reviews Casey :D
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

stipud wrote:Run it at 2 ohms as well, if you can... I wanna see how that thing does with some power on it.

Thanks for the awesome reviews Casey :D
We all want to see some power on it :twisted: P.S thanks for the reviews so far guys 8)
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

If you say so!! I'll wire it up to 2 ohm in the car. Let's see what this baby can handle!! :twisted: :twisted:
[url=http://www.usbr.gov//][img]http://www.usbr.gov/images/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
denim

Post by denim »

I wonder if the shorter port length is too high a tune for the driver, could be wrong just taking a shot in the dark based on your evaluation with the different types of music at different levels. Thanks for the detail on the different songs. :)

Looking forward to your thoughts with it teamed up with the Ultra front stage and more power.
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

I did get the Dcon installed yesterday in the car and got some listening time in today. First a few comparison pics:

Dcon

Current sub (custom made with a TC9 motor)

Side by side comparison

Initial thoughts on the Dcon, damn!! This sub has soooooo much more control than my current sub. By that I mean that I can hear every drum beat. First song was My Curse by Kill Switch Engage, because that was just the song that was on when I swapped subs. Damn, I knew there were a ton of double kicks but they never sounded this good! I don't think there is as much impact or loudness but damn, it's hitting every double kick!! So far I am damn impressed. I'll have more thoughts later. BTW, I did wire this to 2 ohm and it's being powered by the Xenon 600.1 getting at least 800+ watts RMS.

Denim, wanna trade a TC9 based sub for an Icon??!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
denim

Post by denim »

Wow! Don't tell the general public you are sending it that much power, too many goobers will send back cooked coils and want warranty coverage because they don't know how to set up their system.

As for a trade, um I personally already have 2 TC9 variants here. :P But what is interesting is the TC9 has more suspension then the Dcon and should have a little stronger motor. But that is a 3" coil driver compared to the 2" coil Dcon. Awesome to hear your positive thoughts so far!
:)
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Damn those subs are beefy.

Awesome reviews Casey :D

I guess whenever you're done with it, we can figure out where it goes next. IIRC it was Paul...?
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

stipud wrote:Damn those subs are beefy.

Awesome reviews Casey :D

I guess whenever you're done with it, we can figure out where it goes next. IIRC it was Paul...?
I would like to hold on to it until this weekend if that is alright. I'll take it out on Saturday or Sunday and get it out Monday if that's everyone is OK with that. :wink: After that all I need is an address and I'll get it out to the next person. Hopefully Brian has received the check for shipping that I sent him.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Yeah that's no problem at all. I probably would've insisted you enjoyed it a bit longer anyways. :)
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Sounds good, I am enjoying it! :D
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

i didnt yet. but im not worried. it will get here when it gets here
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

Alrighty, the Dcon is boxed up and ready to go to the next person. All I need is an address. I'll do my final thoughts a little later. :wink:
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

The Dcon is on the way to the next lucky guy!

I really, really liked this sub. It had a lot of "punch", but blended well with my front stage. I don't think it got as loud as my current sub, but I actually didn't mind that. It handled double kicks much, much better than my current sub. On Kill Switch Engage's My Curse this sub slammed! I must have listened to that song at least 20 times during my tenure with this sub. I just couldn't get enough of the sound of those double kicks!! The sub just would not muddy up the beat at all. I can honestly say that I have never had a sub that plays as clean as the Dcon. This makes me wonder if I am not feeding my current sub enough power. It also makes me want to try out an Icon as well. If the Icon plays as clean as the Dcon, but as loud as my current sub I would be in audio heaven!! :lol:

In closing I think this is a great sub. Compared to other "entry" level subs I have had in the past this blows away to competition. If the Icon plays this clean with more output I can definitely see why there is such high regard for it. Because of this testing session I now have to see what I need to do to get the Onyx 1200.1 installed in the car and see if I feed my current sub more power I can get this kind of control from it. If not I think I am going to have to find a way to get my hands on an Icon.

Thanks to Denim and Tom for letting me play with this sub. It was a pleasure, and it might cost me more money than I thought! :lol: :lol:
denim

Post by denim »

Wow, more priceless info for the review page, thank you sir. :)
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Well, just got this bad boy in the mail today. Will put it in this weekend and see what we're working with here.
Boomshackalacka
waynehead
No, you're a towel.

Post by waynehead »

hmmmm... Paul blew it up didnt he :lol:
We don't need no stinkin' bass boost!
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

waynehead wrote:hmmmm... Paul blew it up didnt he :lol:
:bong:
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
denim

Post by denim »

waynehead wrote:hmmmm... Paul blew it up didnt he :lol:
Wait what?
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I fondled the sub briefly while it was in Portland, never heard it and sure haven't had the time to even get my daily driver bumping.

Upon a brief but critical inspection I have to say at the price point it has good build.

Spider, looked to be cotton, is this correct?

Former, coil both appeared to be of standard issue, no hybrid items.

Motor, bit overkill in most cases, but if the gap is a bit wider it is a good compensation while allowing a bit better cooling.

I love that you are using pulp and foam for the facing, this combo is still lighter than most of the hybrid stuff but has a tonal quality that can not be touched.

Wish I had a chance to give it a listen while it was here.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
denim

Post by denim »

VW337 wrote:I fondled the sub briefly while it was in Portland, never heard it and sure haven't had the time to even get my daily driver bumping.

Upon a brief but critical inspection I have to say at the price point it has good build.

Spider, looked to be cotton, is this correct?

Former, coil both appeared to be of standard issue, no hybrid items.

Motor, bit overkill in most cases, but if the gap is a bit wider it is a good compensation while allowing a bit better cooling.

I love that you are using pulp and foam for the facing, this combo is still lighter than most of the hybrid stuff but has a tonal quality that can not be touched.

Wish I had a chance to give it a listen while it was here.
Thanks for the kind words. It has dual nomex spiders. We are working on S4 ( dual 8 ) voice coils for the future. Cooling under normal use ;) is plenty, but have not really had anyone want to push this driver so far past it's intended operating range that any custom work had to be done. We did do a little adjustments for a few competition Icons, but that is a different driver. :)
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

I got a review typed up on my computer at home I will try and post tonight, but let me say first off good God this speaker rocks! I was comparing to my XMax so this speakers really beasted it with the low end.

Who gets this next?
Boomshackalacka