PROTOVISION REALITY 284

Reviews for car audio, or general products.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

PROTOVISION REALITY 284

Post by nico boom »

A few weeks ago I got the smallest amp I ever saw from a friend to try out on my home-install.
I was very sceptical about the power-rating of 2x80 W. RMS... considering it fits in the palm of your hand, and weighing.....almost nothing.
It seems to be a highly regarded little amp in Germany.
I did not bother to try it, due to it's appearance [let's face it; it looks like a part from a transistor-radio....until yesterday-evening.....
What this little amp does with my Klipsch La Scala's is UNBELIEVABLE.
The soundstage is awesome, placing instruments in mid-air, vocals appear to be present in the room, and even the smallest reverb and detail is unveiled.
Beeing used to my MS amps, who sound very good on my previous speakers, and also very nice on the LS's, this amp had me listening until past midnight before I forced myself to go to sleep.
The specs are normal as for any normal good quality amp, and I do not believe this amp would drive a sub, but for mids and highs I recommend this little gem to anyone who has the chance of buying one. [fits everywhere! :lol: ]
Build-in crossovers which can be programmed by simple resistors, a center-channel feature, automatic fuse, and more technical features makes this amp a little surprise amongst others for me.
Price; about 80-100 euro's for a used one.
pic taken without the plexi [nice gold silkscreening].
Attachments
IMG_3542.jpg
IMG_3542.jpg (103.95 KiB) Viewed 7930 times
dBincognito
Randy Bo-Bandy

Post by dBincognito »

Very cool 8)
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Have you benched it to see what kind of power it really puts out (underrated, rated, overrated)? Not that it matters really with high efficiency home towers.

Edit: I just realized this thing is designed for car audio, I should have already realized that.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Are there transistors under the board or anything?

Two power supply FETs, and four output FETs is pretty sad otherwise.... but at least it's not a chip amp.
nico boom
Deus ex MS
Deus ex MS

Post by nico boom »

stipud wrote:Are there transistors under the board or anything?

Two power supply FETs, and four output FETs is pretty sad otherwise.... but at least it's not a chip amp.
NOPE; That's the reason I did not test it earlier....waste of time by looking at the components! :lol:
That's why I was shocked by the musicality of this...this....bunch of parts in this small metal case. :lol:
You come over in Agust and judge for yourself Tom; connected to the Klipsch's, it will knock you of your socks! :wink:
[it gets real hot too; just found out. gonna try to bake an egg on it now; will post a review about that later :lol: ]
denim

Post by denim »

Impressive.
KUB3

Post by KUB3 »

So cool. I really love compact amps, but I thought I might be alone.

Besides newer cars are generally getting smaller all the time, so I can see some of the monster size PG amps won't even fit in the future!
Misfire

Post by Misfire »

You all can buy your newer cars that are micro..... I will drive my 1970 Roadrunner until I die. I can fit anything and everything in my baby!!! So keep your micro future! :twisted: :twisted: :hurr: :hurr: O:)