Xenon FAQ

All interesting or frequently asked topics will be moved here for reference. If you have a general question, please check here before posting. You may reply to threads here, but not post new ones. Chatter and off-topic remarks will be purged. Please contact a moderator to have a thread copied here.
VW337
Meatgician

Xenon FAQ

Post by VW337 »

If you have two birthsheets the one that has a graph is the correct sheet to reference.

There are two different power ratings because, there were some QC adjustments made at PG after the units were assemble elsewhere. These adjustments account for better output levels.

Xe.load (impedance sensing) run the amps at 4 ohms for the best performance, you get the same output into lower ohm loads, but you increase the current demand.

Yes there is a mod to bypass the Xe.load circuit, do not use it as it bypasses certain protection circuits, and will not increase performance audibly, but if you are seriously competing a few DB may be evident on a mic.

Above mentioned mod is only usable on the mono amps and does nothing on the multi-channels as the sense circuit is different.

There are 2 power connections on the X1200.1 and X200.4, use them both don't ask why. If you really need to know, look at the current draw of each amp in the owners manual.

Yes, Xenon is assembled overseas, but it is engineered in the US. Who cares, if it was assembled in the US it would have been done with parts from overseas and cost more.

Xenon has time and time again proven itself superior to Ti sonicly.

Xenon had a QC issue, this has been resolved as of 9/04.

Xenon subs need a burn in period (~2 hrs) and yes they will stink when warmed up the first few times.

Xenon was discontinued in November of 05.

The Xenon amps function as normal when run at 8 ohm, meaning the power is essentially halved as you would normally experience. The actual results may vary, but the usable power will go down.

The Xenon Multi-channel amps have a red LED that is visible internally this LED means nothing in regard to the amps functionality.
I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
BH
Wretched Simmons

Post by BH »

If I know Keith he used that LED as a diode drop to get a voltage where he wanted it to be. I'm sure that it also signifies something is working but it may be a very mundane piece of the amplifier. I don't have the schematics anymore or I'd look.
faizai

Post by faizai »

thanks for your infomation~~ :D
onlycool9179

Post by onlycool9179 »

Hi, I am a phoenix gold xenon X1200.1 monblock owner.
I plan to add a Milbert TC-2R or $R tube preamp to my car.

Issued,
The preamp only had mono output jack, but my monoblock require a pair of input jack, and I couldn't found any "mono switch" in my xenon mono.

Question,
I had ask the milbert technician, what I want to confirm is it have incorporated a reverse Y-connector inside the monoblock amp?

Please share the solution with me, thanks.

Beside that, Xenon monoblock don't have fuse? Please let me know is it I need a external fuse? If yes, how many A that I need to add for one side(xenon had pair of power input).

Warmest regards,
Onlycool9179
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

onlycool9179 wrote:Hi, I am a phoenix gold xenon X1200.1 monblock owner.
I plan to add a Milbert TC-2R or $R tube preamp to my car.

Issued,
The preamp only had mono output jack, but my monoblock require a pair of input jack, and I couldn't found any "mono switch" in my xenon mono.

Question,
I had ask the milbert technician, what I want to confirm is it have incorporated a reverse Y-connector inside the monoblock amp?

Please share the solution with me, thanks.

Beside that, Xenon monoblock don't have fuse? Please let me know is it I need a external fuse? If yes, how many A that I need to add for one side(xenon had pair of power input).

Warmest regards,
Onlycool9179
welcome to the forum!

as far as i know, the signal path is NOT wired in parrellell or "y" on the inside (although the speaker outputs are)

i would use something like this to make sure you are getting it the most input voltage you can. http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetai ... D=KRY-1F2M

xenon amps will take up to 13volts rms of of input signal, and i highly recommend getting them at least 8v to let them see their full potential.

as far as fuses, no. they do not have a on board fuse. i strongly recommend fusing it near the battery though for your cars sake more then the amp!

what load are you running it at?

if 4ohms, 1200watts/12 volts =100amps...

so minimum 100amp fuse. realistically i would go with 125a though.
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Lance

Post by Lance »

some pg xenon amplifiers came with little notes about an update in the turn on circuitry, and the owner should wait 10-15secs before the turn off/on cycles,

Anyone has more info on this?
onlycool9179

Post by onlycool9179 »

need help..... now i am playing with the preamp, the preamp had preset low frequency range, but my xenon x1200.1 had the crossover "low pass" and "subsonic" may I know how should I set it to "by pass" or "full range" for my monoblock. thanks.
mx5

Using X100.4 as a 2 channel amp

Post by mx5 »

Hello,

I have a X100.4. Currently, I have connected one pair of RCA cable to the front RCA sockets and switched on the 2 channel button. The left speak is connected to the + of the front left channel and the - of the front right channel. The right speak is connected to the + of the rear left channel and the - of the rear right channel. However, I get mono sound out of my 2 speakers.

Do I need 2 pair of RCA's if I bridge the front channels for the left speaker and bridge the rear channels for the right speaker?
Tiger

Post by Tiger »

Welcome aboard, mx5 :)
You're half way there.....

Get two RCA Y-adaptors (2 male - 1 female) and then connect all four male ends to all four channels, and run your single pair of RCAs off the 2 female ends. Select the 4 channel button; as you are using all four channels across the amp.

That should get your stereo sound back.
-1998 Mazda 929 HC Series 1-
[b]Alpine[/b]- CDA-7998R/CHA-S634/
PXA-H700/MRV-1507 x 3/MRV-F407 x 3
[b]Phoenix Gold[/b]- Xmax 12 x 2/ZPM160 x 4
ZPM100 x 2/ZPT25 x 2/Bass CUBE/DD5
dwnrodeo

Re: Using X100.4 as a 2 channel amp

Post by dwnrodeo »

mx5 wrote:Hello,

I have a X100.4. Currently, I have connected one pair of RCA cable to the front RCA sockets and switched on the 2 channel button. The left speak is connected to the + of the front left channel and the - of the front right channel. The right speak is connected to the + of the rear left channel and the - of the rear right channel. However, I get mono sound out of my 2 speakers.

Do I need 2 pair of RCA's if I bridge the front channels for the left speaker and bridge the rear channels for the right speaker?
If you want to go a cheaper route, turn the 2 channel button OFF and connect your left RCA to front left, and your right RCA to the rear right. This should give you stereo sound without the need for "Y" adapters.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
Tiger

Post by Tiger »

^^^ That's the other direction to take too.
My suggestion would be useful for bridged amp power.

What speakers are you wanting to run on this amp, mx5?
mx5

Re: Using X100.4 as a 2 channel amp

Post by mx5 »

dwnrodeo wrote:
mx5 wrote:Hello,

Do I need to redo the gain control?

I have 2 spare Y splits. From what I have heard Y split will drop the voltage a little.

Which method is better?
mx5

Post by mx5 »

Tiger wrote:^^^ That's the other direction to take too.
My suggestion would be useful for bridged amp power.

What speakers are you wanting to run on this amp, mx5?
My old Boston Pro 6.5
Tiger

Post by Tiger »

BRIDGE IT!!!!!! :p They'll love you for the juice on tap.

I honestly do not know if y adapters drop voltage or not. I'd be curious to know that one myself. Time for me to hit the books.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

With the setup I have shown here, you can eliminate the use of "Y"-adapters and maintain stereo sound with your amp.
Attachments
Xenon Bridged L-R Operation.JPG
Xenon Bridged L-R Operation.JPG (31.09 KiB) Viewed 27540 times

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
mx5

Post by mx5 »

Thanks guys. It's done now. :D
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

dwnrodeo wrote:With the setup I have shown here, you can eliminate the use of "Y"-adapters and maintain stereo sound with your amp.
I don't think I am understanding what is going on here.

How is the front right and rear left of the amp going to get any signal?
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Eric D wrote:
dwnrodeo wrote:With the setup I have shown here, you can eliminate the use of "Y"-adapters and maintain stereo sound with your amp.

The front right and rear left don't get any signal and that's the whole point. If you bridge your front left speaker to the front speaker outputs on the Xenon like shown in the diagram, and only plug in the left RCA to the front inputs then your left speaker is getting only the left signal. If you plug the right RCA into the front right input, then you will get both left and right signals through your left speaker which is why he was getting a mono sound.

Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

dwnrodeo wrote:
Eric D wrote:

The front right and rear left don't get any signal and that's the whole point. If you bridge your front left speaker to the front speaker outputs on the Xenon like shown in the diagram, and only plug in the left RCA to the front inputs then your left speaker is getting only the left signal. If you plug the right RCA into the front right input, then you will get both left and right signals through your left speaker which is why he was getting a mono sound.
Ok, so in doing this you are only using 2 of the 4 channels on the amp, right? The unpowered channels are not adding any voltage to the output signal, as they are not getting any input signal?

Wouldn't it be easier to just only use the front or only use the rear section of the amp, than to wire it like this?
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

In my opinion to make it work, you would need to use Y-cables and wire it like shown in the below diagram. This way you would be giving all 4-channels an input signal, which would get you 4-channels of output voltage. And with the way it is wired, you would still have stereo.
Attachments
xenon_bridged_l_r_operation_387.jpg
xenon_bridged_l_r_operation_387.jpg (32.01 KiB) Viewed 27486 times
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Ok, so in doing this you are only using 2 of the 4 channels on the amp, right? The unpowered channels are not adding any voltage to the output signal, as they are not getting any input signal?

Wouldn't it be easier to just only use the front or only use the rear section of the amp, than to wire it like this?
Yes, only two of the four channels. With the channels bridged you should be getting more power than using just the front or just the rear channels. Granted you are only using one RCA so I don't know if that makes a difference in power input/output as I haven't tested this with a DMM.
In my opinion to make it work, you would need to use Y-cables and wire it like shown in the below diagram. This way you would be giving all 4-channels an input signal, which would get you 4-channels of output voltage. And with the way it is wired, you would still have stereo.
But wouldn't the input voltage be the same? You're still only using one RCA for the front bridged and one RCA for the rear bridged, just now that one signal is going to both Left and Right inputs.

Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Well, there are several things going on here, and typing all of it while having it make sense is pretty challenging. A minute on the phone and it would be easy to explain.

A 4-channel amp is really 4 completely separate mono amps all in one chassis.

"Bridging" an amplifier means taking two separate mono channels and making one 180deg out of phase of the other, then wiring them across the speaker, so you end up with twice the voltage.

This X100.4 is 100W x 4 into 4 ohms.

With the wiring method you have, you would be driving two channels and the remaining two channels would have no input. With no input, they will stay at 0V output, or essentially the same as ground.

So bridging it with your method will have 100W x 2 into 4 ohms for output on the amp. It will be in stereo.

Now, by inserting the Y-cables, the "dead" two channels will get a signal and become "live". This will double the output voltage of the amp and would in theory be 400W x 2 into 4 ohms. Now at some point Xe.load may kick in and cut the 400W down a bit, but for music I doubt it.

By adding the two Y-cables, he would in theory make his speakers 4 times as loud.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

This link explains it a heck of a lot better than I can...

http://www.bcae1.com/bridging.htm
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

^Interesting... I have never thought of it that way before. So without the addition of the right signal, it won't add the signals together and double the output voltage. I'll have to do some testing this weekend.

Now what if you used only the front set of inputs and set the 2-channel/4-channel switch to the "In" position where the rear inputs get their signal from the front inputs? Would this make the bridged channels double their output power while maintaining stereo separation?

stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I remember trying to bridge my Ti900.7 with and without y-splitters, and it definitely worked better WITH them. I too thought this would work, because the old PG manuals always stated you only had to use the left input when bridging (so in your example you would run both RCAs to the front and rear left inputs).