Reupholstering a Visor

All interesting or frequently asked topics will be moved here for reference. If you have a general question, please check here before posting. You may reply to threads here, but not post new ones. Chatter and off-topic remarks will be purged. Please contact a moderator to have a thread copied here.
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

Here we have a visor that needs recovering

Reach in and pull out the pin

Tape off the mount

Once the pin is out, remove the support mount

If equipped, remove the mirror. Be careful not to break it!

Cut a V in the material to be folded over

Apply a light layer of glue. I used a crappy gun for this, but the idea is the same.

Fold the material over and trim excess

Tuck in the corners, and about 1/4" material into the edges

Trim where the mirror goes

Reassemble, then install
capitolj80

Post by capitolj80 »

after all the work you put in to show everyone how to do this...no one gives you yer props...damn shame...maybe visor upholstry just isnt sexy enuff for these guys:(...nice work..good post:)
what if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

is that from a f150?

great how to. thanks!
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

no, an old GM 96 impala
James Shields
[email][email protected][/email]
[url]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com[/url]

[img]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com/images/Business_card_front.sized.jpg[/img]
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

I've gone over this several times because I could never get those damn things right myself. The pics are self explainitory for the most part but there's two things I can't quite understand. First, where exactly do you tuck the excess? Where does it go? And second, do you glue the seem as you work around the edge?
Greg Kitching
Bfowler
Briaans..... BRIAAAAANNNNNNS

Post by Bfowler »

I was sort of wondering that too....
my ex-girlfriend said "its car audio or me"
i've had tougher choices at a soda machine...
Stereo Junkie

Post by Stereo Junkie »

It also looks like he did not remove the original material, personally if I was redoing it I would not want to keep the original material.
Rold Gold
Dirty Harry

Post by Rold Gold »

I never saw this. Nice work but you should have through a screen in there for all that work.
Those tender little burgers with them little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in ya mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one.. just makes me want to burn this muthafuka down.... Come on, Pookie, let's burn this muthafuka down!!!
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

Stereo Junkie wrote:It also looks like he did not remove the original material, personally if I was redoing it I would not want to keep the original material.
What difference would it make? Besides, most visors are nothing but wire and foam and maybe cardboard. Taking the original vinyl off would destoy them.

EDIT:
You must know Jim to know how absurd it is to assume he is doing anything 'half-assed'! Just check out his installs link in his signature.
Greg Kitching
Stereo Junkie

Post by Stereo Junkie »

It was not a knock on the work and yes I know who he is. That doesn't change the fact that I would want to take the old material off, and if that is not feasible it would be nice to know that before trying.
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

this is the basic ones that are not plastic, it was that cardboard crap, if i were to take the old material off I would of had to use some cheap foam, this is just a quicky to match the headliner that is all. the excess on this I trimmed to about 3/8's and then tuck in the seam around the ends. I did some where you just cut the new cardboard (same material on older vehicles doors) and then just fold it over and glue it... but i think that is kind a gay, because no matter what it will start to pull apart over time, and I think i used every type of adhesive and bonding agent out there, including liquid nails in a clamp for 3 days, after some hot/cold years the cardboard starts coming apart in itself.

Anyways the visors made by lear are the best, they are the covered plastic ones you see in the Fords and some caddy's just cut about 5/16" around and tuck

anyways long story short, sometimes you want to leave the factory as you are not going to see it anyways, and there is only so much that a customer will pay for without it becoming obscenely expensive, I do try and stay within a budget, and also be somewhat profitable.
James Shields

[img]http://www.northolmstedperformance.com/images/Business_card_front.sized.jpg[/img]
jbondox

Post by jbondox »

FuzzyHoNutz wrote:I never saw this. Nice work but you should have through a screen in there for all that work.
I did some with screens and pinhole camera's back in the day, you'd flip the visor down and turn the screen on and your face would be on it like a mirror, and go to aux 2 and you'd have video. an Audi I did had the turn on for the light as when you would rotate it the screen would come on and I use to scare myself as i would be on the screen :)
James Shields