RDDP to RMD adapter

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
paintguy

RDDP to RMD adapter

Post by paintguy »

To be brief, I'm wanting to run an RMD from the RDDP port on my ZX500 amp to display voltage.

After much searching I've come across this post:
stipud wrote:If you are desperate for an RMD, you can just cut the wires off and attach them to the power wire somewhere. I am building an adaptor wire for mine so it can work with the RDDP port.

http://download.phoenixphorum.com/TechS ... Pinout.gif
http://download.phoenixphorum.com/TechS ... Pinout.pdf
Is that all there is to it?

Basically connect wires 5 & 7 out of the amp to wires 1 & 2, or 3 & 4 respectively?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I don't want to fry my lovely amp :lol:
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: RDDP to RMD adapter

Post by ttocs »

yup its a simple circuit. I am going to use my R-link boxes on my rsd amps to monitor voltage/thermal condition. Took a little reverse engineering but its actually a pretty simple circuit all together...
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
paintguy

Post by paintguy »

Thanks. It just sounded too simple.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

just need to make sure you get the right leds they can come in a common anode or common cathode array.
freshkryp69

Post by freshkryp69 »

Use a DMM it will take the guess work out..!
Square 1
paintguy

Post by paintguy »

Me again :mrgreen:

Well I converted the wiring from my RMD as per the above, using an RJ45 plugs etc. It works fine in as much as it displays the voltage correctly, but the gauge never switches off. Is this what you'd expect or have I done something wrong?

Clearly I don't want the gauge on all the time as it'll drain the battery, so would just connecting the RMD to another source be a better idea? Maybe one of the switched Aux outputs on my DD5? Would that give me an accurate enough reading? Or maybe just use hook it to the amps remote lead?

Lots of questions :lol:

Thanks,

Andy.
PhuckinGood

Post by PhuckinGood »

Blimey this is news to me, thought you could just plug in the remote voltage display thingy (is that an RMD or a RDDP) :!:
Alpine CDA-9886R
PG ZX250v1
PG ZX350v2
PG ZX450v1
PG Elite .65cs
PG QX 5.25
PG Ti12 sub x2
paintguy

Post by paintguy »

This is the item I mean:

It comes with a 4 pin plug, but the RDDP output socket on the amp is 8 pin, hence the need for some rewiring :)
PhuckinGood

Post by PhuckinGood »

Looks good that, hope you get the permanent power issue sorted, I thought though you plugged an rddp in the post then the rmd plugged into that? or are they impossible to get nowadays? I want to display the voltage from my zx amps so this is very interesting.
Alpine CDA-9886R
PG ZX250v1
PG ZX350v2
PG ZX450v1
PG Elite .65cs
PG QX 5.25
PG Ti12 sub x2
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

you confusing the RMD with SDT. The SDT is the hard-to-find display that plugs into the r-link, the rmd is the one with the phone cord. Still looking for an sdt myself......
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

I'm stuck where you are paintguy... mine also just stays on. Was thinking of probing the two unlabeled leads to see if they are switched power. If not, ill just wire it into the remote and ground I guess, or use some sort of relay. If you had a DD5/10 that would be a good source.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have a relay that works as a switched ground in my truck that I will also be putting in my mustangs system. I like to use a switched ground because you can just wire it into the zero point fuse blocks as well so that the leds only light up with the key on, as well as for displays like this. Going to the remote is just about the same thing though.... Doesn't show the true amp voltage but it does show voltage relating to it, next best thing.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

The remote wire itself isn't ideal without a relay I think. It's probably not great to add that amount of current draw to it either.
longboard

Post by longboard »

i think you need to connect the pins as if it were the power on led as thats a switched feed (pin2 two and pin eight)
1,al dd10,2 al 15 farad powercores,2nakamichi cd400s,1 xenon 200.4,2 xenon 1200.1,3 sets ti elite9s,2 sets ti elite 5s 1 set ti elite 6s 4 sets ti elite tweets 2 13w7 subs,9 ti rmds,3 pg show pieces 1 ms2250,2 zx350s,2 zx 200s,2 zx250s,1 zx450v2,1 475 ti
paintguy

Post by paintguy »

stipud wrote:I'm stuck where you are paintguy... mine also just stays on. Was thinking of probing the two unlabeled leads to see if they are switched power. If not, ill just wire it into the remote and ground I guess, or use some sort of relay. If you had a DD5/10 that would be a good source.
Yep, I'm planning to run it straight to the DD5 now, next time I have the trim panels out. It'll only leave me with 1 spare output as I've already got processor, head unit, and fans on there. And I haven't even started on the lighting yet which will fill it up, but I don't think there'll be anything else I need to hook up to it so all should be well :)

EDIT: missed your reply mate - I'll try those two pins and see what happens. Cheers.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

paintguy wrote:EDIT: missed your reply mate - I'll try those two pins and see what happens. Cheers.
You should probe with a multimeter first.
paintguy

Post by paintguy »

stipud wrote:
paintguy wrote:EDIT: missed your reply mate - I'll try those two pins and see what happens. Cheers.
You should probe with a multimeter first.
Of course, I was just being brief in my reply :)

I'll see what sort of current the volt meter draws, check which pins give a switched output, and no doubt post back here for reassurance before I actually hook anything up! :lol:
longboard

Post by longboard »

if i get chance tomorow il dig out one of the zxs and see what pins kick out what
1,al dd10,2 al 15 farad powercores,2nakamichi cd400s,1 xenon 200.4,2 xenon 1200.1,3 sets ti elite9s,2 sets ti elite 5s 1 set ti elite 6s 4 sets ti elite tweets 2 13w7 subs,9 ti rmds,3 pg show pieces 1 ms2250,2 zx350s,2 zx 200s,2 zx250s,1 zx450v2,1 475 ti
paintguy

Post by paintguy »

Just to go back to this.

I ended up wiring my RMD to the DD5. Outer two connections on RMD to one of the switched aux outputs on the DD5. Works just fine now :)

It does appear to be reading a little bit low though. Say I have 12V at the DD5 (probed with two different DMM's) the RMD is reading 11.8V. 14.2V (engine running) is showing up as 13.9V on the display.

Is there any way of adjusting it's sensitivity?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

there is a pot on the back that will allow you to adjust it if you need to. use a meter connected to the same point and look for the phillips head plastic piece on the back to adjust it.
paintguy

Post by paintguy »

Thanks, I'll give it a go :D