Phoenix Gold Elite.5 5 Channel

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Phoenix Gold Elite.5 5 Channel

Post by ttocs »

must be a really good friend as I have a couple I would let borrow my car but not sure I have any I would let borrow my .5. Afraid they would like it.....
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
J.Wright

Post by J.Wright »

LOL...
He LOVES the Elite.5... About to sell all his amps to buy some Elite's of his own...
System in progress...
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

J.Wright wrote: Now I'm trying to figure out how I can get the boys in the garage with Dad this weekend to start working on my own vehicle.... LOL...
FYI The Elite.65's sound damn good running off that amp too.

It was the sound quality of the Elite.5 amp that pretty much brought me to my decision that I needed to make an Elite.4 and Elite.1 fit rather than drop down to three Ti2 amps that would have fit easily when I decided that the Elite.5 didn't have the muscle to do what I needed it to do. That being said, I still maintain that this is the best five channel amp in the world even though it isn't as much power as I need to satisfy my tastes.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
J.Wright

Post by J.Wright »

I'm going to find out what the new Illusion Audio Carbon C6 and C12 subwoofer sounds like off the Elite.5....

Hum.... Maybe I should just go with an ALL PG Elite system.... Elite.5 + Elite.65cs + Elite.12d.... ?
System in progress...
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

J.Wright wrote:I'm going to find out what the new Illusion Audio Carbon C6 and C12 subwoofer sounds like off the Elite.5....

Hum.... Maybe I should just go with an ALL PG Elite system.... Elite.5 + Elite.65cs + Elite.12d.... ?
You can't get a single Elite.12d down to 1 ohm since they only make a dual 4, and according to the manual on the website, they are designed to operate between 1000 and 1600 watts. That said, Morgan said it will work just fine at 2 ohm off the Elite.5 earlier in this thread. I thought about it too before deciding to change amps, but decided it wouldn't work as well as a pair of dual 4 Ti2 subs would work. To do that I would have had to raise my back seat, and I already decided that if I modified the seat I was going plum crazy with it, hence switching to Elite.4 and Elite.1.

I have a whole list of products I would like Phoenix Gold to look at making, and the dual 2 Elite.12d is one of them.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
HectorVega

Post by HectorVega »

Kirghiz wrote: FYI The Elite.65's sound damn good running off that amp too.
Makes me wonder whether I made a bad choice or not by spending more on the Carbon C6 instead of ordering a set of Elite.65. :?:
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

HectorVega wrote:
Kirghiz wrote: FYI The Elite.65's sound damn good running off that amp too.
Makes me wonder whether I made a bad choice or not by spending more on the Carbon C6 instead of ordering a set of Elite.65. :?:
Never second guess your purchases, always embrace them. All it will do is drive you nuts. My entire system is Phoenix Gold because I am an admitted and card carrying fanboy.
HectorVega

Post by HectorVega »

Well,

Just an update... My car is now with my installer. Should be ready By EoD today or tomorrow around noon. I did try the amp on my wife's SUV over the weekend (easier due to install layout). I was really impressed with the performance of the amplifier on her setup, can't wait to listen to it in my car. My wife's system was really singing with the Elite.5
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

pics mang!
HectorVega

Post by HectorVega »

ttocs wrote:pics mang!
The car is halfway done. My installer had some difficulties not relate to the car that delayed the work a bit. Here is a picture of the trunk and subwoofer. It is just a simple and discrete install of my Elite.5. Now it is time to replace my CDT front stage or the Carbon C6. The car is a 2006 Accord.
Attachments
IMG-20130404-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20130404-WA0008.jpg (69.52 KiB) Viewed 10940 times
IMG-20130404-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20130404-WA0007.jpg (84.62 KiB) Viewed 10940 times
IMG-20130404-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20130404-WA0006.jpg (91.44 KiB) Viewed 10940 times
IMG-20130404-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20130404-WA0005.jpg (91.93 KiB) Viewed 10940 times
AVICJR
Team Coach

Post by AVICJR »

HectorVega wrote:
The car is halfway done. My installer had some difficulties not relate to the car that delayed the work a bit. Here is a picture of the trunk and subwoofer. It is just a simple and discrete install of my Elite.5. Now it is time to replace my CDT front stage or the Carbon C6. The car is a 2006 Accord.
Nice install Hector!! Can you please post them in the Install section so we can comment on them?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

if he didn't do the install he might not have access to the build pics. The edge lit piece is sharp and why I am doing so much of it.
HectorVega

Post by HectorVega »

ttocs wrote:if he didn't do the install he might not have access to the build pics. The edge lit piece is sharp and why I am doing so much of it.
We did not take many pictures of it because it is actually a modification of the old install. The amp was smaller, so it used to be on the side taken by the sub now. There is not much to say about it; it is an MDF enclosure with an MDF amp rack attached to the back and a cover on top of it. The plexiglass is just to improve the looks a bit.

The front channels are driving a pair of CDT Audio ES-010 tweeters; the rear channels are driving ES-6 mids. The sub is JL Audio 10w6.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

is the PG logo etched into the plexi or a decal?
HectorVega

Post by HectorVega »

ttocs wrote:is the PG logo etched into the plexi or a decal?
It is etched into the plexi.
oldskoolmseriesfan
Sherlock Homey

Post by oldskoolmseriesfan »

Looks fucking pimp dude!!!! Very nice job!!!
Phorum PI!
Square woofers are GAY!!
GlasSman

Post by GlasSman »

ROBSCUSTOMSAPK wrote:30 pounds of pure sexiness. Absolutely astonishing craftsmanship. Hats off to pg.
Did you open that badboy up and take some pics?

:clap:
////Alpine/PhoenixGold/MBQuart/ImageDynamics/Soundstream
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

Does anyone know what the expected power consumption would be if I had to use 4ohm and 6ohm drivers on the front/rear channels and 3ohm driver on the sub channel?

Basically I would like to know if this amp can be driven from the OEM electrical system
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Wayniac wrote:Does anyone know what the expected power consumption would be if I had to use 4ohm and 6ohm drivers on the front/rear channels and 3ohm driver on the sub channel?

Basically I would like to know if this amp can be driven from the OEM electrical system
When I had an Elite.5 in my truck I ran mine with the stock alternator (145 amp) and a Stinger SPP1200 secondary battery. A lot depends on what output your stock alternator is. Then again, I know people that have 3,000 watt rms systems running off an 80 amp stock alt too, so I'd say you'd be fine. I would however get some sort of secondary battery set up. If you don't have room for a full size battery like the 1200, you can do a pair of these and have basically the same effect. They are small enough to fit damn near anywhere. My wife has one of these batteries, a Ti21600.5, and a pair of SX 10's all crammed into the spare tire well of her CR-V LOL. http://stingerelectronics.com/productDe ... tegoryID=4

Also, after reading what speakers you are running in the Ti21600.5 thread, you need to get this amp and not the Ti2. The Elite.5 is very much an upgrade over the Xenons you are replacing, and is without doubt better than the Ti21600.5 (I have owned both the Elite.5 and Ti21600.5). Having a set of Morel Supremos, and then opting for the Ti2 amp instead of the Elite is like buying a sports car and opting to get the 4 cylinder economy version. It's worth spending the extra cash on the Elite.

Full disclosure: I bought the Ti21600.5 for my wife's car because she is not an audiophile, I don't ride in her car much, and she wanted the install to occupy literally zero interior space in the vehicle, hence the spare tire well install. Having said that, the Ti2 is actually a surprisingly good sounding amp for full class D, and has amazing output for it's size. Saying the Elite.5 is that much better than the Ti2 isn't a knock on the Ti2. It's a validation of how great the Elite amps are.
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

Thanks for the response and I do apologise if I am cramming up this thread, but I ask if you please bare with me through my questions as I don't have experience with these amps and doubt anyone else in my country has as it took our local distributer (South Africa) 5 days (including the weekend) to get back to with a quotation on the Elite.5. I did get a shock that it is more than double the price of the Ti2 1600.5, but your comments does make Elite.5 desireable.

I have a 110A alternator and the car is still under warrenty so I doubt I can install a secondary battery, I can possibly look at fitting a larger battery in the OEM location.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Wayniac wrote:Thanks for the response and I do apologise if I am cramming up this thread, but I ask if you please bare with me through my questions as I don't have experience with these amps and doubt anyone else in my country has as it took our local distributer (South Africa) 5 days (including the weekend) to get back to with a quotation on the Elite.5. I did get a shock that it is more than double the price of the Ti2 1600.5, but your comments does make Elite.5 desireable.

I have a 110A alternator and the car is still under warrenty so I doubt I can install a secondary battery, I can possibly look at fitting a larger battery in the OEM location.
If the dealership voids the warranty because you installed a second battery (I'd put it in the trunk) then they would void it for adding damn near anything, including an amp.
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

Dealerships void the warranty for doing the Big 3 upgrade, so can only assume that installing a secondary battery will do the same. Although they do allow for an audio install done by an authorized installer. I'm taking a chance by doing the install myself as I made an installer do a basic setup in the car (which I've already taken out) that I will claim is the install I'm busy with :)

With regards to the amp, I've decided that I will bite the bullet and go for the Elite.5, because if I don't get it I'm going to end up with sleepless nights thinking that I could've got a better amp
dbjury

Post by dbjury »

I run an elite .5 in my subaru. Standard alt. upgraded xs 1200 battery. Runs great.

Sent from my slutty assistant...
BMW 2006 530D E60
(yet to fit) Alpine 9887 CD/Ipod/Reciever: Boston Acoustics ZX6: Boston Acoustics SPG-555: Phoenix Gold ELITE .5
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

never heard of any warranty being voided by a big 3 upgrade. Possibly a 2nd battery as if the system isn't designed for it you can do more damage to the alt but adding ground wires will not void anything that I could imagine.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

That's bizarre as hell to me. Damn near every time I have installed an amp or two without doing anything to the electrical my alternator blew at some point. It was just a matter of when. Putting the added current draw of an amp into an electrical system is far more taxing than a big 3 or second battery.