New Phoenix Gold Product Suggestions (Here We Dream)

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Kirghiz

New Phoenix Gold Product Suggestions (Here We Dream)

Post by Kirghiz »

I have a bunch of things I would like to see Phoenix Gold make in the future, and I thought it would make a fun thread for the forum. I'm sure you all have some product ideas as well. I'll start.

Product: Dual 2 Ohm Elite.12D Subwoofer
Why: being able to drop a single Elite.12D down to 1 ohm would make a single sub more compatible with amps like the Elite.5 and Ti21300 and offer more install options. Since the amps make their power at 1 ohm for the most part, there is a very short list of amps that can handle only one sub (Elite.2 and Elite.5 would be the best options), and really only 1 amp in the lineup, the Elite.1 that can handle a pair.

Product: Elite.3 3 channel Amplifier (2x200watts@4 ohm/2x300 watts at 2 ohm, 1x700 watts at 2 ohm, 1 x 1100 watts at 1 ohm)
Why: It offers a high power stereo option for installs that only utilize a front stage and no rear fill, and a capable sub channel for pickup trucks, jeeps, small cars, etc. An incredibly useful point of this amp would be the ability to pair it with an Elite.4, using the Elite.4 to power the midrange drivers, and the Elite.3 to power a pair of midbass speakers and subs. You could also pair it with an Elite.5 doing the same thing as the Elite.4, but you would have two identical 700 or 1100 watt sub channels to drive a moderate SPL system, which would include the ability to drive a pair of the above dual 2 ohm Elite.12d's. If you wanted to drive a pair of Elite.12D's but didn't want the bass to overpower the highs like it probably would with just an Elite.1 and Elite.4, this would be a good option to do that with. The Elite.3 would also have phase and timing adjustments on the stereo channels to bring those midbass drivers in line with everything else, and crossover options that would allow you to set up a 3 way front stage with the other amp.

That's all I'm gonna post for now. Let's see what you guys would want to see......
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
dwnrodeo

Re: New Phoenix Gold Product Suggestions (Here We Dream)

Post by dwnrodeo »

Kirghiz wrote:I have a bunch of things I would like to see Phoenix Gold make in the future, and I thought it would make a fun thread for the forum. I'm sure you all have some product ideas as well. I'll start.

Product: Dual 2 Ohm Elite.12D Subwoofer
Why: being able to drop a single Elite.12D down to 1 ohm would make a single sub more compatible with amps like the Elite.5 and Ti21300 and offer more install options. Since the amps make their power at 1 ohm for the most part, there is a very short list of amps that can handle only one sub (Elite.2 and Elite.5 would be the best options), and really only 1 amp in the lineup, the Elite.1 that can handle a pair.

Product: Elite.3 3 channel Amplifier (2x200watts@4 ohm/2x300 watts at 2 ohm, 1x700 watts at 2 ohm, 1 x 1100 watts at 1 ohm)
Why: It offers a high power stereo option for installs that only utilize a front stage and no rear fill, and a capable sub channel for pickup trucks, jeeps, small cars, etc. An incredibly useful point of this amp would be the ability to pair it with an Elite.4, using the Elite.4 to power the midrange drivers, and the Elite.3 to power a pair of midbass speakers and subs. You could also pair it with an Elite.5 doing the same thing as the Elite.4, but you would have two identical 700 or 1100 watt sub channels to drive a moderate SPL system, which would include the ability to drive a pair of the above dual 2 ohm Elite.12d's. If you wanted to drive a pair of Elite.12D's but didn't want the bass to overpower the highs like it probably would with just an Elite.1 and Elite.4, this would be a good option to do that with. The Elite.3 would also have phase and timing adjustments on the stereo channels to bring those midbass drivers in line with everything else.

That's all I'm gonna post for now. Let's see what you guys would want to see......
Wouldn't the Elite.5 cover almost exactly what you need from the proposed Elite.3 but with even greater versatility? Should you bridge the front and rear channels it will give you 2 x 300 watts @ 4 ohms and then the sub channel will do 1 x 700 watts @ 2 ohms or 1 x 1100 watts at 1 ohm plus, you have the option of running it 5 channel.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I would like to see them bring back their accesory line. You can't tell me that stinger accesories carry the same brand recognition that PG did/does. Always been amazed that they made that decision.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

dwnrodeo wrote: Wouldn't the Elite.5 cover almost exactly what you need from the proposed Elite.3 but with even greater versatility? Should you bridge the front and rear channels it will give you 2 x 300 watts @ 4 ohms and then the sub channel will do 1 x 700 watts @ 2 ohms or 1 x 1100 watts at 1 ohm plus, you have the option of running it 5 channel.
I seriously thought about running two Elite.5's and doing that, but bridging the channels like you suggest would eliminate the stereo sound of those channels, which is why I opted to do something else entirely. If you could bridge the two left channels and the two right channels, preserving the stereo element, it would work, but you can't. Plus the crossover section lets you go low pass, high pass, or band pass on the .5, which is good, but to do a 3 way you'd have to run bandpass on the midbass, and high pass on the mids and tweets, and you can't do that from one channel on the .5. With a 3 channel, you could bandpass the midbass drivers from 80-250 or 300 hz, and then just run the high pass on the 5 channel at 250 or 300hz. Plus, if you have built in phase and timing adjustments on the three channel you could mount the midbass in a different location from the mids and still preserve the imaging of the front stage without the need of another component for processing.

That's the theory anyway. I'm sure it's wrong. :D
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

ttocs wrote:I would like to see them bring back their accesory line. You can't tell me that stinger accesories carry the same brand recognition that PG did/does. Always been amazed that they made that decision.
When Stinger owns Phoenix Gold, you can slap whatever name you want on it, it'll still be the same product. Honestly, I always thought Stinger and Phoenix Gold made similar quality accessories anyway. The thing that separated Phoenix Gold for me in terms of branding was always the amplifiers.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

correct they can slap what ever name they want on it but pg made their name in the accessory line just as much with their amps imo which is why I am amazed with the two names to choose from, they dropped pg.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

ttocs wrote:correct they can slap what ever name they want on it but pg made their name in the accessory line just as much with their amps imo which is why I am amazed with the two names to choose from, they dropped pg.
Honestly, I don't think they so much dropped Phoenix Gold as had an already established brand in Stinger, and Phoenix Gold was gone from the marketplace for a while, so it was just safer to stick with Stinger. Besides, when you already make the best accessories in the marketplace and have no significant competition after Phoenix Gold went away, why mess with it? I mean, your other choices are what, Monster Cable and Streetwires, and what else? The market such as it is, is already pretty much cornered anyway.
dvnt88

Post by dvnt88 »

Would love to see a modern day DD10 ...5 ...15 and so on as well as the old skool accessories ttocs mentioned like the Zeropoint and TI pwr / gnd blocks. Doesn't hurt to dream as finding the original stuff is gettin' harder to find.
Audison Bit Ten
Hertz HSK163's (x2)
Hertz HX250 subs (x2)
Hertz HDP1
Hertz HDP4
PG Tantrum BassCUBE
XS Power D4900
Misc. PG Install Goodies

"Old-Skool TI-Whore"
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

There is no reason why Stinger couldn't produce some of that stuff under the Stinger brand now I wouldn't think. I guess they acquired the design rights to the old school accessories when they acquired the brand, so they should be able to more or less copy some of those things you can't get anymore.....
HectorVega

Post by HectorVega »

I would love the possibility to entirely bypass the X-over on the Elite.5.

I think the brand lacks some good OEM integration products as well as processors in the lines of what RF, Audison, Mosconi, etc... offer. That plus a trully amazing user interface should be a killer product. I mean, some steps have already been taken in the design of the App Amp. It is just a matter of expanding the DSP capabilities.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Kirghiz wrote:
dwnrodeo wrote: Wouldn't the Elite.5 cover almost exactly what you need from the proposed Elite.3 but with even greater versatility? Should you bridge the front and rear channels it will give you 2 x 300 watts @ 4 ohms and then the sub channel will do 1 x 700 watts @ 2 ohms or 1 x 1100 watts at 1 ohm plus, you have the option of running it 5 channel.
I seriously thought about running two Elite.5's and doing that, but bridging the channels like you suggest would eliminate the stereo sound of those channels, which is why I opted to do something else entirely. If you could bridge the two left channels and the two right channels, preserving the stereo element, it would work, but you can't. Plus the crossover section lets you go low pass, high pass, or band pass on the .5, which is good, but to do a 3 way you'd have to run bandpass on the midbass, and high pass on the mids and tweets, and you can't do that from one channel on the .5. With a 3 channel, you could bandpass the midbass drivers from 80-250 or 300 hz, and then just run the high pass on the 5 channel at 250 or 300hz. Plus, if you have built in phase and timing adjustments on the three channel you could mount the midbass in a different location from the mids and still preserve the imaging of the front stage without the need of another component for processing.

That's the theory anyway. I'm sure it's wrong. :D
Ahh yes, that poses a dilemma. You could run the front channels with Y-adaptor as left only channel highpassed to mids, then run the rear channels with Y-adaptor as right only channel highpassed to the mids. Use the subwoofer section for the subwoofer obviously, and obtain either a Elite.4 or Elite.2 to run your midbass. This will give you stereo signal to all but the subwoofer.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

HectorVega wrote:I would love the possibility to entirely bypass the X-over on the Elite.5.

I think the brand lacks some good OEM integration products as well as processors in the lines of what RF, Audison, Mosconi, etc... offer. That plus a trully amazing user interface should be a killer product. I mean, some steps have already been taken in the design of the App Amp. It is just a matter of expanding the DSP capabilities.
Set the cross-over selector to "flat" and its off.

How can you want to bypass the cross over but then want an amazing interface?
PhuckinGood

Post by PhuckinGood »

ttocs wrote:I would like to see them bring back their accesory line. You can't tell me that stinger accesories carry the same brand recognition that PG did/does. Always been amazed that they made that decision.
Accessories - ^^^^what he said, zeropoint style accessories please, no compromise. Cables, boots, terminals, earth blocks, power distro's, rca's, balanced lines, install logo's, sub grille's, fuses, t-shirts, cd holders, etc .... Stinger stuff doesnt even come close, been looking through their range to fill the gaps in my install just in case, what a load of cheap looking rubbish, cannot even find a supplier in the UK for Stinger 1/0 cable.

Speakers - Expand the Elite range, maybe a three way 7'' set and definately would like a smaller maybe 5 1/2 two way version, even take it up a notch and push into high end, possible an Elite SQ sub!?

Amplifiers - Done everything right so far :clap: but ... do the looks make me go wow like the old stuff ... nope. Enough said.
Alpine CDA-9886R
PG ZX250v1
PG ZX350v2
PG ZX450v1
PG Elite .65cs
PG QX 5.25
PG Ti12 sub x2
HectorVega

Post by HectorVega »

ttocs wrote:
Set the cross-over selector to "flat" and its off.

How can you want to bypass the cross over but then want an amazing interface?

Hey ttocs, I am talking about two different things.

For the Elite.5, setting to flat is only possible for rear channels; not for front, nor for the sub channel. If I am running an active system, then that is a feature that I would certainly like. While I do acknowledge that once the X-over is set, there is no reason to play with it anymore, I do appreciate the possibility to tune right from the drivers seat as auditive memory is really short. That plus the possibility to select 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th order filters at my will. Hence my choice of using a dedicated processor or a HU with such capabilities.

As for a good interface for a DSP, well, that is the downside of processors I have played with.
ROBSCUSTOMSAPK

Post by ROBSCUSTOMSAPK »

I would like to see a new 1/2 din eq with dual inputs and front/rear/sub outputs (8v of course) and possibly a 3 way crossover with 3 inputs/outputs that can be ran as 3way or 2way with fader (with lpl). Also on the crossover, seperate variably adjustable frequencies for front/rear/sub.
JVC usb/cd h/u
PG ti eq6
4x PG ti6cs
2x Eminence alpha 12"
2x Incriminator Audio 18" Judges
2x Incriminator Audio 3.4
2x Incriminator Audio 40.1

AUTHORIZED PHOENIX GOLD DEALER.
ROBSCUSTOMSAPK

Post by ROBSCUSTOMSAPK »

Also, add a clip light to eq and xover. I'm done. Thanks. Ill be waiting for their release dates.lol
JVC usb/cd h/u
PG ti eq6
4x PG ti6cs
2x Eminence alpha 12"
2x Incriminator Audio 18" Judges
2x Incriminator Audio 3.4
2x Incriminator Audio 40.1

AUTHORIZED PHOENIX GOLD DEALER.
jpswanberg

Post by jpswanberg »

... standalone digital 2/3 way crossover, 2/3 octave eq, time alignment processor - an eq215x for the 21st century. One can dream, can't one?
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

"The /Discussion" Limited Edition 9 channel Amplifier

Basically it would be (2) Ti21300.4's and (2) Ti2800.1's strapped together (Same idea as the Route66, Outlaw, FrankAmpnStein, etc.) with internal crossover/processing. Honestly, this amp could conceivably be built in a case that is 23.4" x 14.1" x2.0", plus whatever is needed for the extra crossovers/processors, but it wouldn't necessarily be a gigantic amp. One would think the internal processor would be able to clean up the signal a bit to get the strapped Ti2's to sound more like the Elites.

(Class D)
8x150 watts rms @ 4 ohm
8x250 watts rms @ 2 ohm
(Class D)
1x800 watts rms 4 ohm
1x1200 watts rms 2 ohm
1x1600 watts rms 1 ohm

2 sets of front/rear and right/left channels on the 8 channel section, with selectable bridging, which means you can bridge front/rear right and front/rear left to maintain a stereo bridged system which would allow you to run it as 4x200 watts stereo at 4 ohm, or with a 6 channel stereo configuration allowing for midbass or an additional set of components. Each pair of right/left channels would have low/high/band/flat crossover options and phase and time alignment potentiometers to make the imaging right.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

like to see another nice 3-way system with a 8-9" woofer.
vladthebad

Post by vladthebad »

How about the app amp.... Without the amp. 1/2 or even full din or small trunk mount, eq, crossovers, time alignment, etc. while we are at it, lets add additional switching inputs for iPod/phone/etc. would it also be too much to ask for digital input option?
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

The obvious things.......an 8" Ti2 subwoofer, 10" and 15" Elites......and perhaps a shallow mount 15".
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Lots of good info here guys, we are reading.

BTW: Elite.12d dual 2 ohm woofer is a done deal. Will ship in the 3rd quarter of this year.
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
zeropoint0.5

Post by zeropoint0.5 »

1) bring back the original PG bass cube with remote..... a great great product......

2) the pld1/tba/tbaT system(or just transmitter) but with the burrbrown opamps same as in the elite amps

3) a preamp simular like a sld44 (but with burrbrown opamps) but the ability of speaker inputs, because lots of
cars don't have the ability any more to replace the factory head unit.....

4) the elite subwoofer but in a 15 inch version. both 2x4 ohm and 2x 2 ohm.....

5) special clear or light smoked plexi with the phoenix gold logo to show off the interior of the elite amps
refurring to the ms/zpa amps..... we would love it......
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

[quote="zeropoint0.5"]1) bring back the original PG bass cube with remote..... a great great product......

2) the pld1/tba/tbaT system(or just transmitter) but with the burrbrown opamps same as in the elite amps

3) a preamp simular like a sld44 (but with burrbrown opamps) but the ability of speaker inputs, because lots of
cars don't have the ability any more to replace the factory head unit.....

4) the elite subwoofer but in a 15 inch version. both 2x4 ohm and 2x 2 ohm.....

5) special clear or light smoked plexi with the phoenix gold logo to show off the interior of the elite amps
refurring to the ms/zpa amps..... we would love it......[/quote]

i would love customization options like number five. to expand on that, i'd like to see some graphics of the phoenix gold text and phoenix logos in varying sizes, as well as chrome diecut emblems like pg and stinger both made before.

also, some grills for the elite and ti2 lines would be good. they're having to fabricate grills for my new install.
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

here is one i have been trying to work out in my head, but the folks at pg can do a better job of it.

take a pair of sl10's and build a compound isobaric 4th order bandpass that will fit under a crew cab/double cab/king cab seat, and have a built in ti2800.1 at 2 ohm to power it. if you don't need the space over the transmission hump for the enclosure, and i don't think you would need more than two inches on either side, consumers would have the option to install one on each side, and have room over the transmission hump for a 4 channel Ti2 amp if they desired.

truck owners would eat that up, and would give you a product to eat into the JL Stealthbox/Pro Box/Prefab down firing market that is out there now. A good chunk of those truck owners (majority being men after all) are people that do spend money on the vehicle in customizations, and also want a system, but don't want to learn about car audio, so they look for the quick and easy plug and play solution. Nothing would be easier than the above box in terms of the layman installing it, and there is no other preloaded enclosure for a truck on the market that includes the amp like that, much less a good amp.

I've been mocking it up in a 3d program for lulz, and I am close to getting something I think would work, at least for my truck.