The New ti21600.5

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Drock

Re: The New ti21600.5

Post by Drock »

To be honest for the class d, I really like the. Ti2 pg did an excellent job with this line. I've had it on my bench for a few weeks now, I've compared it to the ti, both new and old, xenon, RSD, QX, the only amp that was a clear difference was the elite.1 and .2 amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MW3
Morgan @ PG

Post by MW3 »

Drock,

Curious if you could provide some more details on your comparisons....
Morgan West
Phoenix Gold Product Manager
captainobvious

Post by captainobvious »

I was working last night on my "test bench" setup for ABing of amps. I've currently got (or will have arriving at the door shortly) the following:

PG Ti800.4 (2011)
PG SD1300.5
PG ELITE.4
Diamond D7054
Xtant X604
Arc XDi804
JL HD900/5
Soundstream REF4.920
Zapco Z-150.6

I'm only using a pair of stereo channels for each in my testing and have to level match with the Oscope/DMM to ensure they are all at close to equal output voltage. I'm working on a group session where I'll have multiple members of the DIYMA forum over to sit in for blind AB testing and tallying the notes and results. A nice mix of old and new, class AB and D, etc. I'll do a big writeup on it and share it here as well. I would really love to get a Ti2 to add into the mix. I've got to say, I'm really impressed with the level of quality of what I'm seeing thus far from the new PG stuff. I really want to sample their best class D, especially since I have the Arc and JL in the mix.

You can follow along at this link or just wait for the full update here when I post a new thread on it. :)
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/tec ... yself.html

Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Sounds awesome. I'm glad someone is finally putting an Elite head to head with some other amps to prove what we've been saying all along.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
captainobvious

Post by captainobvious »

Kirghiz wrote:Sounds awesome. I'm glad someone is finally putting an Elite head to head with some other amps to prove what we've been saying all along.
I'll be VERY interested to see how the results shake out. Will people be able to tell the difference between class D and AB? Between different amps of the same class? Between any amps at all?

This much is for sure- the build quality on the Ti800.4 is excellent.
Drock

Post by Drock »

That's great. Can't wait to read the results.

As for my results. Lol.
I'm by no means trained to do high tech comparisons.
My bench consists of a multimeter and an rta.
My opinions are just that. I hooked up a few of my amps and matched the gains. Using the same speakers and my own ears.
However I am very interested in how to do more technical comparisons to get results. I am trying to track down some some gear and info to better educate myself.
Every time I learn one thing, I have three more questions.

Sorry not very helpful I know, but all I can say is the t12 is an impressive sounding amp. And I also have a very hard time getting past the size and looks of the amp. I look at all my huge amps and think its insane, the average person probably would never know if I had big or small amps.

I would love to see this amp in your comparison. Hopefully it will prove my point, and not make me sound like I'm full of shit. But I'm ok either way lol.

captainobvious

Post by captainobvious »

Drock wrote:That's great. Can't wait to read the results.

As for my results. Lol.
I'm by no means trained to do high tech comparisons.
My bench consists of a multimeter and an rta.
My opinions are just that. I hooked up a few of my amps and matched the gains. Using the same speakers and my own ears.
However I am very interested in how to do more technical comparisons to get results. I am trying to track down some some gear and info to better educate myself.
Every time I learn one thing, I have three more questions.

Sorry not very helpful I know, but all I can say is the t12 is an impressive sounding amp. And I also have a very hard time getting past the size and looks of the amp. I look at all my huge amps and think its insane, the average person probably would never know if I had big or small amps.

I would love to see this amp in your comparison. Hopefully it will prove my point, and not make me sound like I'm full of shit. But I'm ok either way lol.

I'm appreciative of your feedback on the Ti2 for sure. I don't have any really advanced equipment myself, just a good 75 amp power supply, oscope and DMM and then the test board I'm working on. I think the most critical piece is having the amplifiers level matched and trying to provide as seamless of a transition when switching amps as possible. That's a challenge for me though as a true switching unit is extremely expensive. I'll likely be doing them by hand which could be a couple seconds delay between amps. First world problems, eh? ;)
Drock

Post by Drock »

I am picking up a switching unit next week from an old store that shut down. Can't wait.

captainobvious

Post by captainobvious »

Awesome...lucky !
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

Neither here nor there at this point, but I just committed to buy one for the install in my wife's car. I would have bought my old Elite.5 back since they still have it, but no way in hell it'll fit where I need it to go.
Being loud without good sound quality is pointless, but having good sound quality without being loud is also pointless.
Drock

The New ti21600.5

Post by Drock »

Kirghiz Pm sent sir.

Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

Hi guys,

I'm looking into this amp as one of my options to upgrade.

May someone kindly give feedback on how this amp compares to the Xenon range in terms of sound quality.

Thanks
Kirghiz

Post by Kirghiz »

SQ wise, I doubt you'd hear a difference, so unless you need more space, and your Xenons are still working, I wouldn't mess with it. It's a good solid amp that is awesome for a class d. You could play it beside some mid level A/B amps (which is what the Xenons are imo), and it will perform comparably. But, if you want to get your amp footprint down from a pair of Xenons to the size of a single 2" thick tablet without losing power or SQ, it will do that and do it well. Just don't expect miracles beyond that.
Wayniac

Post by Wayniac »

Thanks for your response. I've already sold my Xenon amps so looking for something to run my morel supremo 6 and jbl gti 12". The size and low power consumption are desirable traits of the TI2 1600.5 so was just curious about the sound quality of the amp.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I finally broke down and bought one of these Ti21600.5s for my system.

This is the first full range Class D amp I have had on my test bench. So far I am very impressed with it.

I have about 4 CDs, with around 10 tracks in all, that I listen to on every amp I repair. I have listened to these same tracks over and over. Even though I don't consider myself an "audiophile" listener, I have heard these same tracks so many times, I can quickly tell when something is wrong with an amp. I can generally tell when one amp sounds different (not necessarily wrong, just different) than another. Well, so far this Ti2 sounds every bit as good as the other PG amps I have tested before it.

I plan to setup an A-B test myself and will document my findings. I may even round up some other listeners and do some blind testing.

Expect a full review at some point, with some detailed documentation about its components and design.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
Drock

Post by Drock »

Can't wait Eric. Thanks.
I love mine. Told you guys it was awesome little amp.
I'm looking for a second one.