It's not just PG amps that have leaky cap issues...

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
vwdude

It's not just PG amps that have leaky cap issues...

Post by vwdude »

So I got a zapco 750.2 that I opened before powering up, and it's a good thing I did. Not sure all of it is from leaking caps, looks like they might have put down a silicone type of material, but it did come up yellowish and the caps did leak for sure.

Not sure I'd want to change out those gate resistors.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
trickyricky

Re: It's not just PG amps that have leaky cap issues...

Post by trickyricky »

I could of told you that, lol....jk. Yeah I've repaired several old school Zapco's with leaky caps, some were exactly the same as the PG's (Panasonics HFZ/HF). Some are damaged pretty bad (certain Zapco's have multilayer boards so the traces and via's that get damage are no so easy to repair). Same goes with some Zeff amps, they leaked so bad that the traces got ate up so no fire there...just protect or straight DC on the outputs.
Attachments
CAM04722.jpg
CAM05440.jpg
CAM04240.jpg
CAM02239.jpg
CAM02887.jpg
CAM02887.jpg (414.41 KiB) Viewed 7963 times
knightrider358

Post by knightrider358 »

Well thats a good pointer guys! Ive been interested in trying zapcos
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
vwdude

Post by vwdude »

I'm lucky there wasn't any damage to the board.

I'll have the zapco I'm working on available for sale probably by next weekend if your looking to,try a zapco soon. I'm excited to hear this thing, it should be pretty nice sounding.
A few of these and a few of those.
Creator of www.phoenixgoldregistry.com
hit me up to add your limited edition amps.
Txsaxkat

Post by Txsaxkat »

Well this is an old thread but I have a collection of amps with problems caps being 1. Been running zapco amps for years now mostly the reference amps made in usa and havent had a cap issue was that later built reference built overseas? The good ones had gold plated terminals and were black with the AG style angled fins. I also had a Xtant 1000.1 D almost catch my BMW Touring wagon on fire on the tollway tunes cranked sounding good and a pop and one of the caps popped and smoke was pouring out about had to change my underwear after that turned it off just in time and was lucky it wasnt A main rail cap didnt even burn the board but still need repair. I do have a zapco 1000.4 that has front left channel starts distorting after it warms up been trying to get this stuff to trickey rickey. I have done some recaps on a M44 and my old MS250 with good results but Im limited. Waiting for the pandemic to blow over and maybe do some horse trading for repairs. Got 3 ZPA 5.0 in varios repair stages that got to be beyond me. By the way the zapco amps are the only thing I have found that holds a candle to the old PG stuff only issue with the reference amps is the terminals and limited ohlm loads when bridged for subs.
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

I'd be interested in your blown ZPAs. Pm me if you want to discuss.

Thanks,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
Txsaxkat

Post by Txsaxkat »

Old Thread but I repaired my reference 1000.4 and put some better caps in while doing the other repair work good to have it back in action. I do still have the ZPAs and need to do something with them sell them or trade out for some work . I am too deep in repairing vintage saxophones to deal with them.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I have often wondered what the chemical reaction was that happens that breaks it down to the fluid level.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.