Finally bought a smartphone

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Finally bought a smartphone

Post by Eric D »

My 10 year old Motorola flip phone was starting to show its age, so after lots of convincing from my wife I decided to buy a smartphone. I bought an iPhone 7 and am slowly getting used to it. My wife has been trying to get me to text message (my old phone did not support that), but I am not too sure I will ever use it to the extent that she does.

Another driving factor in getting a smart phone is I am going to give up on my point and shoot camera and just use the phone. Why carry around two things if I don't have too. My wife's iPhone 6 takes better photos and far better video than our point and shoot, so I am going to switch fully to using the phones for photos.

For any of you with an iPhone, and I suppose the 7 in particular, what cases do you suggest for it? The phone itself is slippery to me, so I bought a budget aluminum case for it off eBay, but now it is just a huge brick. I could probably drive over it with my vehicle, but I don't need it too be that tough. I also think the metal of the case has reduced my signal strength as well.
Got "schooled" by member shawn k on May 10th, 2011...
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
Hands down the forum's most ignorant member...
Don't even know what Ohm's law is...
knightrider358

Re: Finally bought a smartphone

Post by knightrider358 »

Awesome to hear the change.

i cant suggest any cases cause its all on personal taste. When i was working Verizon yrs back id just let customers feel what they were looking for. Always worked best w making them happy.

FYI....get on. the app store and download "Tapatalk". its an app that allows forum sites to be mobile friendly. This will allow you to be here and other places much easier then a PC or it be real tiny on ur phones browser.

read up on the camera function online to get really familar. ull be amazed at how good the cameras are. And itll teach you how to do focusing and etc.

also may wanna get a cloud app like dropbox. itll upload all ur photos to a pc so u dont have plug ur phone into a pc to get them

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Current 1 of 2 current installs

HU-Alpine IVA-D310
DSP-PXA-H701
Comps-JL ZR 650
Sub-3 JL 10w6v1ae's sealed
Highs amp-MS275
Mids amp-MS2125
Subs amp-MS2250TA
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

Thanks for the tips. I have already been finding I need a better way to get photos off the phone to my computer. Especially as I want to get photos on to my work PC, and I don't want to put iTunes on it just to do so.
No longer really "in tune" with the audio industry, and probably have not been for some time.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I only broke down last year and finally got a smart phone. I can say I have liked having it.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

I have been using a Samsung galaxy s3 for two years didn't have a smart phone before it. I don't have a pc I used my x's before we split up. I do almost everything of this phone it's pretty handy and you will get used to the texting I didn't text before I got this phone just another way of communicating without communicating. .. I don't have taptalk or photo bucket.
Nick666

Post by Nick666 »

If you want a case I'd certainly look at something that has D3O in it. Might be a little more expensive than your standard case but when your phone is hundreds of dollars it's worth paying for.

https://www.gear4.com/shop/iphone7

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

O I forgot I have an otter box case for mine I left my phone on the hood of my land cruiser left from my house I live on a 5 lane hwy got down the road a little ways saw something fly off my truck looked back in the mirror saw my phone hit the hwy and went flipping into the ditch that happened just a couple months after all got my phone its still kicking.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Eric D wrote:Thanks for the tips. I have already been finding I need a better way to get photos off the phone to my computer. Especially as I want to get photos on to my work PC, and I don't want to put iTunes on it just to do so.

Can't suggest a case, as I don't ever use 'em.

Can't say anything about an iPhone, as I don't use Apple products.

I CAN tell you the easiest way to to get a photo, video, document, etc from phone to computer is to e-mail it. E-mail the media in question from your phone to a second e-mail address you have, and access that second e-mail from your computer. Boom, no need to install unnecessary bloatware (iTunes).
Boomshackalacka
Eric D
Short Bus Driver

Post by Eric D »

I found out yesterday if I plug the phone into my work PC it comes up just like a USB thumb drive would, so that is the easiest way to get the photos and videos off the phone.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

one day my phone popped up with something called one-drive. I am not really sure what it is but it shows up in my the "My pc" area and has the pics on it moments after I take them with my phone. No cable needed. Otherwise I just take the pics and then select to upload to photobucket and they are there when I am ready to use them.
smgreen20

Post by smgreen20 »

iPhone!!! iPhone!?!?!?!?!? Another one to the masses. LOL, to each their own

My son just got an iPhone 7 256g and he uses the Otterbox Defender for his.
We just upgraded my daughters iPhone 6s to a 7+ 128g (for Christmas) and she is hard on phones. We went with a lifeproof case for her. They're a bit more rugged then an Otterbox.

It really does come down to personal taste. Just go to a local phone store and try out a few cases. Go to the local carrier you use first. They're more lenient about you opening things for test fits.
"ZPA's will have the same sound essentially as you get from the MS, they just feature a bigger shinier set of balls."

Install:
http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998
ZackGell

Post by ZackGell »

ttoecs wrote:well why not? Tell us about it. old post for your first post and then leave us hanging... Inquiring minds want to know.
I don't think I'd ever buy an iphone.
Last edited by ZackGell on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

well why not? Tell us about it. You can't just float in here and dig up a 6 month old post for your first post and then leave us hanging... Inquiring minds want to know.