Is this nuts? Thinking of building a custom CV stroker clone

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Is this nuts? Thinking of building a custom CV stroker clone

Post by Jacampb2 »

So, just wondering how nuts I am... Tell me if this is insane or not.

I'm thinking of building a clone of a CV stroker 18D2. The soft parts are still available. I'm thinking of building a custom neodymium motor, because frankly, finding a similar ferrite motor will be difficult and I don't have a way to magnetize the ferrite rings, so even if I could find them, I could build it but not magnetize it.

I have a machine and fab shop. I can easily machine the pole plates, I should even be able to do the iconic extended front pole with little trouble. It looks like assembling a neodymium motor is within reach of a well equipped shop...

There are many aftermarket frames available, if by some fluke there is nothing that will work with the CV cone dimensions, it's not outside my capability to machine a basket as well...

It would take a significant amount of work, and in the end neo magnets are going to cost as much or more than what a used driver would. I also have no way to test parameters once complete.

So, tell me, an I crazy, or should I go on with this (those two are not mutually exclusive). I don't know what got this idea stuck in my head, but I just can't shake it. If the magnets cost less than $600 I would have started already...

Thanks,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: Is this nuts? Thinking of building a custom CV stroker c

Post by ttocs »

sounds like a fun project. how about ya redo/improve the cyclone?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
Jacampb2
Mad Scientist

Post by Jacampb2 »

The cyclone had crossed my mind from time to time, but that thing would be a nightmare to reverse engineer. Then trying to find parts like a new modern motor and still have the thing come out producing good sound... It is a lot bigger undertaking then I really want to get involved with...

This may be sacrilege, but I'm not super impressed with the cyclone I heard years ago. I honestly don't even remember what it sounded like, I just remember thinking it was meh for the amount of money it cost...

There are some even more wild drivers of a similar ilk though. Seems I read about a guy who built a rotary vane infrasonic driver a few years ago, it was like a fan, blades were spinning all the time, but it had a variable pitch mechanism that was driven by the amplifier. If memory serves it had a ton of output for what it was...

Lots of cool stuff out there!

Later,
Jason
M: M100, M44 for a custom amp project
Zx: Zx500, Zx450, Black Zx350
ZxTi: 4 Zx600Ti's, 1 Zx400Ti
Ti: 5 800.1's & 900.7 for a custom amp project. 1 1200.1, 1 1000.2
Tantrum: 2 1200.1's, 1 600.4, 1 500.2
XS: XS6600
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

there was a guy on here not long ago looking to buy a cyclone saying he was going to try to rebuild it. I have always been curious how with more modern manf processes and materials how much better it could be. I only got to install one and its been stuck in my mind ever since how when we cranked it up my cordless drill I put on the rear package tray shot out and I was just happy to catch it.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.