rebuilding an OG ms1000 Nickel

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
JK

Re: rebuilding an OG ms1000 Nickel

Post by JK »

I personally knew the doc in Melbourne.. that's where I live.. I understand these types of Medicine/supplements as I'm in that industry.. I also understand unknown products.. sometimes it's best to leave them unknown.. as you can see..

Gcmaf is more so out there now as apposed to back then.. I've scene first hand the results.. mind blowing!! I scene cancer disappear in 3 out of 3 people who were using it.. 1 of them had 6 months to live.. that was 4 years ago.. gcmaf don't help with global clensing...
JK

Post by JK »

What's up!! How you doing/feeling lately? Hope all is well... checking in to see how that msk is coming along...? You were on a mission, so I was wondering if you wrapped it up?
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

its been on hold to find some new end plates since my plater ate the last set.
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
JK

Post by JK »

What's going on with your custom build? Hopefully your taking a stab at it.. you were on a roll for some time.. I want to see you complete your dream.. you've been wanting a MSK forever and your almost there.. geterdun
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

still on the hunt for the last end cap after my plater dicked up the first set but then you know how that goes....
JK

Post by JK »

Oh yes I do... people just don't know how hard it is to actually complete a amp.. it's always a great start, but the end always takes the longest.. you know I'm a MS/MSK WHORE... I just wana see it complete.. hope all is well with ya
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I was overjoyed to find the first set as easily as I did and after I polished them I considered just having them powder coated clear rather then plating. That will be the way I go this time, not risking loosing another set with how hard its been to find 2 more.
JK

Post by JK »

Making them will be the best way... in my opinion..
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

and I considered it. I MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT have a line on the last one but I am not getting my hopes up again. It seems like everyone has 2240 end caps...
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Did you get the end I sent you?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

That was the one of the original set wasn't it? Its been so long now I can't remember where I got them... I took the time to strip them and then took a lot of time to polish them before I was going to take them for nickel plating. They were looking so good I almost didn't send them to the plater and instead thought about clearing them and going from there but I went ahead and dropped them off at the plater. Not sure what happened exactly but he said he had some issues on the copper plating and in the end they were not usable. Not sure why as I just turned around and started looking for another set but this 2nd set has proven to be a challenge.
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Damn that sucks don't go back to that guy
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

yea your telling me. Sucks as he has always been fast and reasonable. I wasn't sure if it was because of the polish on them as I was surprised how nice of a polish I put on them. This time I am just going to get them powdered clear over it and go from there.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

SCORE! I think I found the last end cap today. Its not in my hand yet but I have seen a pic of it to believe it exists. Can't wait to get it polished/cleared and off to silkscreen and then finish this sucker up....
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Along with the excitement of finding the last end cap I also found someone that was looking to replace the terminals on their 2250s that were damaged in shipping. I got some new blue replacement terminals made and didn't need mine so I finally got around to putting the gold terminals on them. I have had them for a good 6 months and was just frustrated about putting time into it while still trying to find the parts. The amp has been sitting in limbo on the table since june now....

I think they will look good with the blue press bars and heat sinks.
But for the bad news, which isn't that bad, I was surprised to see the speaker wires were corroded as bad as they were when I removed the terminals. Looks like some new wire will be going in there for sure. I have some twist wire but I am also just tempted to stick a big old piece of 4 awg in there if I can find a ring terminal small enough to go on the board but large enough for the wire....
I will also be swapping out the little rca cables for fresh 9mm super triple shielded cables. If the speaker wires are this bad the rca's are probably not far behind it and I have plenty of 9mm
JK

Post by JK »

On those zero point blue/silver speaker wires.. from the pict it looks like just the area where the screw touches is a lil corroded.. do you think using a lil acid and applying it with a pipette would do the trick? Personally I love the zero point twist wire.. I think it will go good with the other blue parts.. I love the gold screws, but those blues ones will look good as well.. hopefully you can wrap this up soon.. good luck!!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

looking through the clear insulation on the wire the rest of the wire doesn't look all that great. after I typed that out I thought to myself I thought I had a bunch of blue/silver twist wire and after a short dig through my wire stashes I found this.
This wire was actually thicker then the wire in the 2250, but it was purple/silver and that would not do. I really thought I had blue/silver so I dug into my other stash and scored. I actually have 2 different guages of blue/silver twist wire, enough that I will probably have some to sell shortly if anyone is interested.

I just got the confirmation the last end cap is on its way here.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

i got the resistors swapped out on one half as well as the rca's and speaker wire.
While I was into it I noticed that the area around D325 and D308 looks like they have been getting hot. Anyone else noticed this? On one of my others it looks like they put bigger diodes in but the others do not look like they got hot.

I also need to shorten some led cables. They are a 4 pin cable and I need the connectors/harnesses to be as small as possible. This is what is on them if anyone doesn't know of anything this small(doesn't need to be waterproof) does anyone know what kind of connectors these are and where to get them and the crimpers for them?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

today felt a little like groundhog day repeating everything I did the day before.
before.
after removing the wires and cables I started to do a quick clean of the circuit board. I did a double take when I noticed the film alcohol and q-tips was doing I mean it normally cleans it up a bit but this time it was clear where I had and had not cleaned. It didn't take long to realize the former owner was a smoker, and owned a cat... I have never got to know an amps former owner by cleaning the amp.
But after new cables/wires its looking ready to show.
I did notice that a couple of the smaller caps on this amp looked like they needed to be replaced. Can one of our cap experts comment on which of the smaller ones need to be replaced, if not all?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

when you guys swap caps do you swap out all the little ones as well?
Silverhorse

Post by Silverhorse »

Hi Ttocs
Im not an expert at all but I change them when:
- the foil is shrunk
- the top of the cap is not flat but around
- they leak but this happens only with the bigger type of caps IMHO
- when they are dent
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have two on there that are near the high power resistors and I think all it is that the resistors got hot enough to heat the heat shrink around the caps. The top isn't bulging and I do not see anything under them but Since I am already in there it seems like now is the time to replace them if I am. And then it just begs the question if I am going to swap out some smaller caps why not do them all... Idunno I have a list of caps in my cart for mouser in another open page.
Silverhorse

Post by Silverhorse »

the small ones are usually 85°. I would replace them with 105° caps if they are available. It would be best to leave some space between the big hot resistors and the new caps or lift them up but that can spoil the clean factory look.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I mounted the new resistors up off the board just above these caps.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

WHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I found them finally..
And after a late night polishing session this is what I have.
As you can see there are some very light surface scratches that are barely noticeable but I will probably spend a little more time to get out. Now knowing that these are the last 2 mps end caps not on a working amp, would you send them to plating or just clear them and go from there?