rebuilding an OG ms1000 Nickel

Need help with your car stereo system? Have a technical question? Post here.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Re: rebuilding an OG ms1000 Nickel

Post by ttocs »

I was really happy with how they looked, right up till I put it next to the amp.
does anyone know a small batch nickel plater? Everyone I seem to find only does large contracts or big pieces
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

If you didn't see my repair stand I made, well I did and decided to put it to use.
Looks like I got to this one just in time as it was starting to leak. I don't think it would have exploded now but sooner then later it would.
I am really happy to say that the stand works great and after a short time I had all the caps out, board cleaned and then replaced them. I did order a snake light to go above it for better lighting and already considering some minor adjustments like mounting the iron holder to it. If you have a few amps to do this to I can't recomend making a stand enough.
JK

Post by JK »

I want to buy the blue silver twist wire from you... please put me down for it...
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Last 3 numbers of the serial #666 or 566 hard to tell....
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

JK wrote:I want to buy the blue silver twist wire from you... please put me down for it...
Not a lot left to sell but hit me up with a pm and we can figure something out.

RayBuck wrote:Last 3 numbers of the serial #666 or 566 hard to tell....
#666 will be making up one half of the ms1k now if I could only find #667 so I could say its pure evil and then some....

I spent tonight on the 2nd half of the amp pulling the caps out. Everyone told me to avoid the rail caps as they cause damage being removed. I have not had an issue with them yet but the via's on the 12 I will be good at repairing after this. Looks like the caps were swapped out and a couple of via's repaired then but it looks like they put either the exact same caps back in, or at the very least the exact same type.... The repair stand though is working perfect, no sore back at all after a few hours into it now.
JK

Post by JK »

Go figure!! Out of everyone here who has 666... lol!! I'll check and see what I have.. I know I have 13 ms2250's.. you never know..
I might have 665 or 667.. I'll pm you..
RayBuck

Post by RayBuck »

Damn 13. It would be cool if you had one or the other.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have been spending more time on the circuit boards replacing all the caps then on polishing but tonight I got 2/5 of the buffing wheels out of the way tonight. I would love to try and finish them up tomorrow and get them off for plating asap but I am hoping to try turning the key on the mustang for a little while tomorrow.
Miguelitro

Post by Miguelitro »

Hi.

Great look, awesome.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Thanks miguelitro and I would say welcome to the site seeing this is your 4rth post but then you have been here 5 years.

I started making arrangements for the nickel plating and realized that I could include a couple extra pieces just to make the order minimum. After some thought I realized I had a DD10 that would be next to the amp and would look killer nickel plated and polished. I was originally going to carbon fiber skin it and it was my first ever attempt at skinning and it just did not go well and the only way to fix it was to grind it down and start over.
I got the custom badges back when they were made and now I just need to figure out if I want to do anything to finish them or leave them as they are...

the titanium nickel plated DD10. TiNi DD10
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

part 2 of the polish.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I was below the minimum order with just those pieces being sent so after some thought I stripped down some Ti fuse block and ground dist block that will be mounted next to the ms1k as well as some of the pg surfboard logo's. I am getting it all nickel plated and polished except one of the small pg logos I went with gold and plan to make a cover over the fuses in the amp with it that is being gold plated. I was disappointed to find out that this place cannot gold plate aluminum as I wanted to get the DD10 and PG logo for the DD10 gold plated. Anyone know any small places that can plate aluminum with gold and anyone else want to get some stuff gold plated?
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I got some small pics of the nickel and gold plating done from the plater. I also got the confirmation he got payment and shipped them out today. Should I post the small pics or wait till they come in and take good pics?
joerg
SOFA-KING

Post by joerg »

Patiently waiting for pictures...
Music is silver, PHOENIX is GOLD
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

AHHHHH crap for some reason I can't get pics to post from flickr. Somebody help me this stuff looks amazing...
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Finally figured it out. I got one pg logo gold plated as it will be made into a cover for the fuses in the ms1k. After seeing the gold next to the nickel I am going to get the aluminum badges on teh dd10 gold plated after I get another custom PG Nickel edition badge made.
kg1961
Got wood?

Post by kg1961 »

super nice i like it glad i got you started all this...Lol
most of my gear is gone :liar:
2020 honda accord sport
JK

Post by JK »

Damn it man.. good job!!
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I just saw pics of the end plates after printing and they are stunning. Very nice detail and with the fresh plating it should look amazing. Can't wait to get them back and get it together finally after all these years....
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

the end caps were supposed to be here wed according to the tracking screen as they were sent priority. I had my window opened so my tuned ear would hear the jeep at the top of the hill but I was also sitting in front of the window almost the same way my dog does when she demands to go for a walk. around 11:30 I hear the jeep and go out to check and I have never been more disappointed to find another offer for sirius radio and nothing else. I thought maybe since it was sent priority and it was early maybe it would come a little later but after another day of updating the tracking screen it still only showed it had left santa barbara and nothing since. So thurs is a repeat of wed on the waiting game and when she pulled up with a package I was 2x as excited as I was on the walk to the box wed. Got the box and had to fight the urge to run inside with it and tear it open. So I go inside and open it up only to find that its another stupid car part I ordered that was not supposed to show up till friday. So another afternoon/evening of updating the tracking and now I am starting to worry that this set somehow had been lost/damaged/gone and it would take another 8 months to a year to find replacements(again). Finally thursday night the tracking screen updated to show it was recieved now locally and should be here friday. Today I was waiting by the box with some cookies for the mail lady when she pulled around. Half of them were drugged so if she said she didn't have it I could wait for her to pass out and then search the jeep(sarcasm) because at this point I was sure USPS was F'n with me if she didn't have it today. But good news finally, check these out!

I finally have all the pieces. Time to put it together....
vwguy3

Post by vwguy3 »

WOW! Those look really nice. Love seeing something like this coming together
JK

Post by JK »

Hell yeah!!! That looks like top notch work... I'm happy to see quality in its finest.. after all you been through you deserve it... now get er all back together.. I'm jelly! Lol
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I was hoping to replace the last few parts on the board and throw it together but a couple of pads and a circuit trace came up that I now need to repair. Looking into doing it right with dry film repair but trying to find someone with some experience in it to point me where/what to get
JK

Post by JK »

I have a couple parts 2250's if you run into a jam.. I don't know what you need or if what I have will help, but if you can't locate what your after let me know..
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have all the parts it was the dry film repairs I was new too. Got one of those and its working now and got these back from the plater