momstang rebuild begins.

Have a car? Is it broken? Want to make it faster? Got cool pictures?
lilviper

Re: momstang rebuild begins.

Post by lilviper »

On a side note, I have had no luck with HIDs, they dont light, the ballasts are garbage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

I am ready to start taking it on the road at least for short drives to start to shake out the rest of the gremlins but its going straight to the alignment shop first. Once I can get it on the road and a little reliable I can't wait to dive back into the stereo. I have all the gear except the sub. All my previous installs have had nothing bigger then a 10", with the 9's in the doors I am looking forward to at least a 12" in the trunk. Going for more of a SQ build this time so looking at the morel titanium 12".

Did you get the cheapest you could find or something a little better?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

I actually bought the "high end" units, sold at a bmw parts retailer. For whatever thats worth...i put caps inline as recommended. 55w ac units. I still have startup issues with them. Having to turn the lights on and off unitl both sides fire but once they are on i can see for days.

Since my car has they are single bulb housings I really only have low beam, ive tried every combination of dual and bixenon with no reliable high beam to speak of.

I put cob leds in the truck, and they work great. Im sure they will eventually fail but so far so good.

lilviper

Post by lilviper »

How goes it?

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I am amazed that its friday and I am no further then I was last week. Got caught up trying to figure out why the new window regulators were not going up all the way before the warranty period was up with them and wasted a few days with them going back/forth with LMR. Then I had an old friend in town that I hung out with, spent another afternoon in the ER with dad and chest pains(but he is better now). I can't say I didn't get anything done as I am almost finished with the HID conversion I am doing to the headlights and the lack of lights really is the last legality keeping it off the road.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:I am amazed that its friday and I am no further then I was last week. Got caught up trying to figure out why the new window regulators were not going up all the way before the warranty period was up with them and wasted a few days with them going back/forth with LMR. Then I had an old friend in town that I hung out with, spent another afternoon in the ER with dad and chest pains(but he is better now). I can't say I didn't get anything done as I am almost finished with the HID conversion I am doing to the headlights and the lack of lights really is the last legality keeping it off the road.
Lol. Life gets in the way sometimes. Cool hid setup.

lilviper

Post by lilviper »

Any progress ?

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

not really as usual one simple thing turned into a much bigger project and then there was 3 weeks were I was too sick and a week where my brother was in town. I go the lights mounted and had to run some extra wiring for the demon eyes and I decided to do some other wiring at the same time I have been planning on doing. The extra wiring turned into more then I thought as I needed to move some things around to add some fuses. So I have done some work on it in the last month but not as much as I had hoped. I finally started feeling better this week but it took me a few days to get back on my feet.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

This week, lighting... I ran the additional wires for the demon eyes, the turn signals and then realized this is the time to run the wires I am going to use to light up the fender badges. While planning that I also had some interior lighting I have added that needed to be connected/powered and just figured I would do it all since the relays driving the interior and exterior lighting were behind my drivers seat air ride mess I just cleaned up. I thought after arranging things last time that I had plenty of space for a couple small fuse boxes and relays to take care of all of this but after my first look I realized I was going to have to move some things around. I had to move the valve block up a few inches and swap the intake for it to the other side. After that I just needed to be able to have room for the wiring and still be able to get to the fuse boxes. This would be difficult/messy because almost all the wiring comes in from the right side so to make room I raised the fuse boxes up 3/8" so I could run the wires under them. All this took so darn long because of the time to arrange everything so it would work and then just because of the wiring. It became a multistep process as I made each cable/wire by first airline wrapping 2 wires together, then cutting them to length, then I would cover them in techflex, cover each end with a few wraps of electrical tape, then cover them with heat shrink and then finally I could label them(1 label per wire) and then finally crimp the end on them. After all that I was ready to connect the two ends on one side, I still have to run/terminate them on the other side. Oh in addition to all that I have been making hand written schematics of it all to show what I hooked up where to make it easier to diagnose problems later.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

ttocs wrote:This week, lighting... I ran the additional wires for the demon eyes, the turn signals and then realized this is the time to run the wires I am going to use to light up the fender badges. While planning that I also had some interior lighting I have added that needed to be connected/powered and just figured I would do it all since the relays driving the interior and exterior lighting were behind my drivers seat air ride mess I just cleaned up. I thought after arranging things last time that I had plenty of space for a couple small fuse boxes and relays to take care of all of this but after my first look I realized I was going to have to move some things around. I had to move the valve block up a few inches and swap the intake for it to the other side. After that I just needed to be able to have room for the wiring and still be able to get to the fuse boxes. This would be difficult/messy because almost all the wiring comes in from the right side so to make room I raised the fuse boxes up 3/8" so I could run the wires under them. All this took so darn long because of the time to arrange everything so it would work and then just because of the wiring. It became a multistep process as I made each cable/wire by first airline wrapping 2 wires together, then cutting them to length, then I would cover them in techflex, cover each end with a few wraps of electrical tape, then cover them with heat shrink and then finally I could label them(1 label per wire) and then finally crimp the end on them. After all that I was ready to connect the two ends on one side, I still have to run/terminate them on the other side. Oh in addition to all that I have been making hand written schematics of it all to show what I hooked up where to make it easier to diagnose problems later.
Lol.. looks good buddy, been there with custom wiring and no schmatics. What a nightmare.

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

been there with my custom wiring. I can remember at the time thinking "its simple and I will not forget this". Now its two years later and I can't get the WTF look off my face while I think that.
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I have been amazingly unproductive lately for one reason or another, not all mine. I have been playing a game with amazon for the past month. A while back I ordered a wire harness kit that came with 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5 pin harnesses that I have been using. For this project I needed 4 - 3 pin harnesses so I grabbed my kit and crimped the pins/sockets on them and realized when i went to grab the harnesses that I was out. No big deal I got them off of amazon so I made another order and they are pretty quick. Two days later I got the package and as I was about to open it I noticed they were 2 pin harnesses, but the bag was labelled 3 pin. Well crap I did the return thing and was amazed how easy it was, but I was not surprised yet still disappointed when I got another bag labelled 3-pin, filled with 2-pin... I got a hold of their tech support to tell them it looks like they got a shipment that has been labelled wrong, they said no problem they would take care of it and make sure they got the right one out to me. 3 days later I got the same wrong bag........ So now I am pissed enough to cut off the pins and waste more then a few of the harnesses left in that kit if I could find a 3-pin locally that would not rape me. Went to 3 places and short of trailer plugs no one sold harnesses separate except oriely's, and they were only $12 each.... I wasn't sure if I wanted to wait again, hoping or bend over and pay the price so I went home to sleep on it. Amazon said they had another one on the way but i was tired of waiting. The next day I went to oriely's but the guy that I talked to the day before was off, and now none of these tools had a clue what a wire harness was. When I told them I needed GM delphi weatherpack harnesses of course they asked me for what vehicle.... Eventually one of them pulled out a catalog thicker then a large phone book and started paging through it randomly while another guy said and I quote,"I don't know what the FFFFF your talkin bout.". After 15 mins of this game, I gave up. I would wait for amazon cursing the whole time. So 4, 5, 6 days later I ask them if they have a tracking number and the response I get is that they just pulled them off the amazon warehouse shelf so now they would send it from the manf, in china. I could not have been more pissed now that both amazon and now the manf had just lied to me so I sent them a responce that had about 4 f-bombs per sentence, and then ordered the weatherpack harnesses. Finally after a month of this crap, I got to test it out.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl4WCBses_8[/youtube]
ttocs

Post by ttocs »

still not getting much done but there is a little to show. After all the upgrades/changes and then troubleshooting I made one hell of a mess in the dash I needed to clean up. A large part of the problem was a fuse box and switch box I mounted there so I moved the fuse box but could not move my switch boxes because of the length of some cables. I found sparked innovations switch box and decided to get 2. I made this panel to mount them on that will go where the back seat was(in the center of it) out of abs made to look like CF. The little spots you see in the middle are leds that will light up the plexi and highlight the pg wiring. The 4 awg wiring goes under the power triangle logo down the middle to the dd10. I am just waiting on some 8 awg wire to install and complete the wiring.
I think I made a flux capacitor....

So now I needed a place to put the 8 switches that go to it. I had room in my ashtray for them and fired up the cnc to make this panel for it. Its the first time I have made a random shape like this that had to fit so its no wonder its a bit big and needed some adjustments but hopefully the 2nd one will fit. The pocket in the middle is for some EL lighting. On top of that will be a piece of plexi with the words etched/engraved into it so that when the el lighting is on the words light up, and then there will be a small trim ring around it. This is all if it works its only the 4 th time I have used it.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

Pretty cool buddy!

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

the first one was too big so I scaled it down a bit and now it fits. I also got my EL lighting kit and its brighter then I thought it would be. I wanted to get more done but I was not able to get far from the restroom till this afternoon to start. I might be up late though doing another session to cut the last two pieces. There is a .15" trim ring that will go inside of the pocket that I will probably cover the bottom with chrome vinyl and maybe a really thin red stripe(vinyl also). The center portion that goes around the switches though I have some options on and curious what you think.

#1 - just a piece of smoked plexi. It should look black with the light off, maybe grey in direct sun light but when the light is on the entire panel will glow and where the words are engraved would glow brighter.
#2 - paint it body color(green) and then engrave it.
#3 - gloss black and then engraved.

lilviper

Post by lilviper »

Hmmm.. #1 would look the best. 3 seems to be the least work.

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I got the trim ring cut and at first it was too big. With some work it would fit but I was really wanting a better fit so I made some adjustments and it went in much easier. Its tight enough to hold it in upside down but you can still pull it out if you want.

actually #1 was the least work since I didn't have to paint it firstand I had the more of that material to test on so I used it first. I thought the engraving would leave more of a mark on it but this is acrylic so you really had to look to see the writing and then the background in light looked an ugly brown. It allowed me to make the adjustments needed to make it fit better while the paint dried on the other piece. I had a piece that was just big enough to cut out of and was really happy that I got it lined up perfectly and then saw that the material was moving a little while it was cutting which led to the holes being off. But it did allow me to see that the engraving on the paint would work and I needed to open the holes up just a tad more. I would have sprayed another, waited for it to dry and then cut it but I was out of paint. If walmart sold duplicolor I would have been out the door at 2 am to get it.

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I had a problem with the holes from the center insert and the base plate drifting just a hair somewhere in my editing and making it impossible to line up. So last night while watching a movie I did a quick redesign on it and then last night was able to cut all the new pieces in about an hour so I am getting more comfortable with the software and the system.

And then with the switches and lit up.
ain't that the shit?! It came out better then I had planned. After some trial and error I was able to get the sizes on all the pieces so that they can hold tight even while held upside down and shaking it and nothing falls out. But just flex the base plate a tad and all the pieces basically fall out if I ever need to relabel a switch or change the light sheet. Unfortunately I will be cutting a new center section tonight after realizing that when I put it in my ashtray, the words are upside down DOH! Now with the program made and a piece already painted it should not take long to do.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

Ok so what does each of those things do? Loud is most likely the cutouts. Demon?

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

Yes the loud button is the cut outs. Most of the names were changed or shortened just to fit, and to sound funny/cool
Data - this is going to my Holley efi system so if/when I want it to record how the motor runs for issues or tuning.
park - parking lights
system - this will allow me to turn the stereo on with out the key
head - head lights - I didn't like the factory switch
cool - powers the fan/electric water pump so if I am at the track I can cool it down faster
demon eyes - a small red led in the HID housing that lights up like evil red eyes.
eject - this is actually going to the line lock. Again line lock would not fit, I considered "LICK" but after some thought it just seemed silly to have a custom switch panel and NOT have an eject button.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

So what adhesive are you going to use to keep all this together while it vibrates? Or was it designed in such a way the switches sandwich and lock everything together?

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

it actually goes together with out any adhesive so it can all come apart later if I switch a switch name or need to remove the lighting sheet, but its all tight enough you can hold it upside down and shake it vigerously and nothing comes apart. If you look at the pic the Y-axis goes up/down and X-axis goes left-right. I stepped the inserts on the x axis down .005" from the pocket dimensions which made them tight enough that they touch/rub but it would still fall out if the y-axis was had that much removed. For the Y I made them .003 smaller so to get it to fit I actually have to flex/bend the base plate backwards just a tad which makes the insert a tad longer and then the length falls into the insert and when I stop flexing it, it now sqeezes down and holds it in place. It took a few tries to figure this out but hopefully it will not mean I have to do it so many times next time.
lilviper

Post by lilviper »

Good, cause adhesives dont work hahah

ttocs

Post by ttocs »

I finally got it all installed.
dwnrodeo

Post by dwnrodeo »

Don’t ever drive up to 88mph...
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?