I-Pod users .. questions

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

I-Pod users .. questions

Post by gkitching »

OK .. So my son had his 12th b-day yesterday and grandma decided he was responsible enough to own an expensive, somewhat fragile, electronic gadget without blowing it up, setting it on fire or video taping it falling from a 3 story roof. So she got him an I-pod :roll:

With the one she bought my daughter 2 yrs ago, that makes 2 in this house on the same computer.

My question is I assuming because of all this 'registering' the I-pods to a certain computer and the exclusivity bs, they will not be able to share thier music between the 2? Or more simply, is there anyway to get music from 1 i-pod to the other?

1 is the older (2yrs) I-pod Classic 80gig and the new one is the Classic 120gig.
Greg Kitching
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

iPods sync with iTunes. You can sync more than one iPod with the same iTunes library.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1495?viewlocale=en_US

You're probably interested in method two.

Just sync each iPod to iTunes. Bingo, just it works. ;)
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
wash with gasoline

Post by wash with gasoline »

as far as syncing them goes, if they put music from one of there friends computers on there ipod when they sync it with your computer it will erase all the stuff that is not on your computer from the ipod. as far as getting music off of one ipod and putting it on the other ipod, that is where the itunes program starts to SUCK. they try to make it a one way trip off of computers to the ipod. there are 3rd party programs to get away with it, i dont have any exp. with any of them. last time i delt with this was a few years ago so i dont know if the changed the firmware on them to change it or not. what i did was go to my computer and right click on the ipod and select show hidden files, then do it again on the stuff that showed up afew times. i followed the steps i found on one of the ipod forums, eventually you come up with a file with a bunch of garbled names and just import the whole file into the itunes library threw the itunes program and it unscrambles it and presto everything from the ipod is on your computer and you can do what you want with it ...hope that helps you
dry with match
gkitching
Hair Metal
Hair Metal

Post by gkitching »

Thanks for the link Ryan! That gives a little more insight. Method 2 sounds like it would work except they both have $ and/or gift cards for I-tunes and each wants there own settings :roll: Heaven forbid they combine their resources and share. U have brothers and sisters? Sibling rivalry. I'm not gettin in the middle of this one. Just don't want to see them wasting money buying the same shit twice.

wwg .. I'll see if there's something to dig up on a forum. That would be the ticket if, like u say, it's not been eliminated by current versions.
Greg Kitching
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Do you know if they buy their music under the same iTunes account? If so, they should both be able to get all the music on both iPods without issue.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner