Offroading kicks ASS!

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Offroading kicks ASS!

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

Well, I finally went out... and it KICKS SO MUCH ASS!

It was a friend's birthday and the plan was a day full of off road adventure out in the foothills. And that's exactly what happened. We weren't disappointed, hehehe :D :D Five people, two vehicles, a lot of mud and a whole lot of fun.

Unfortunately, I don't have the gnarly pics. I have some pics, though. And a movie. Yeah.

I am absolutely amazed by the capability and ride quality of my truck out in the mud, dirt, snow, ice and rough terrain. Gotta be one of if not THE favorite toy I've owned yet! I hate to quote a McDicks commercial but: "I'm Lovin' It".

Me being proud after taking my first difficult line through a gravel pit. You can't see the line from this angle but meh.

Looking up from where my truck was in the last pic towards my buddy and his Jeep. He had already taken the line and swung back around behind us.

Much later in the day after some crazy stuff we chilled out by a frozen river for a bit. I liked our parking job so I snapped a pic.

Ouch!!!!! This is what happens when you need to turn around on a trail and the combination of a muddy rear window and just a touch of careless combine.

Just something I thought looked cool. This was later in the day as you can tell by the angle of the shadows. Dirty :D

Back home right before the wash. Not too bad but we DID get muddy.

And, a little movie of me taking a puddle. Nothing spectacular or anything, just fun. Get it HERE.

And yes, I did take out the kick panels and the sub woofer. I think they would have been destroyed out there if I hadn't!
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Once you go 4runner, you never go back.

... Except for maybe a Tacoma.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

stipud wrote:Once you go 4runner, you never go back.

Or a diesel Hilux.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Psh, you call that muddin?? This is muddin

Boomshackalacka
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

There was still a lot of snow on the trails and a lot of melted snow forming pretty damn big puddles... never underestimate the ability of blasting through puddles and deep ruts and wells along the trail in terms of cleaning a truck :)

But in all seriousness, that does look muddier in general than where we were although we did hit enough deep shit mud that I had to pull my buddy's jeep out of it.

Now I'm itching again to buy stuff! I want those General AT2 tires. Good mix of road worthy and off road worthy, plus the reviews on tire rack are insanely good.
Mastiff
French Poodle

Post by Mastiff »

Francious70 wrote:Psh, you call that muddin?? This is muddin

You red neck that's not mudding thats just you gettin stuck ..... :P
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:

Or a diesel Hilux.
Or an FJ Cruiser!! :wink:
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

mr tibbs wrote:
fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:

Or a diesel Hilux.
We better get at least some pics of when you and your girl take that thing out and push it to its limits!

Speaking of which, I really need to get my friend to email me the pics from his camera as there were about 20x more taken with his than with mine... that and his camera got the really good shots :D
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:
mr tibbs wrote:
fuzzysnuggleduck wrote: Or a diesel Hilux.
We better get at least some pics of when you and your girl take that thing out and push it to its limits!

Speaking of which, I really need to get my friend to email me the pics from his camera as there were about 20x more taken with his than with mine... that and his camera got the really good shots :D
Depending on the weather we just might have to take it out this weekend and get it a little muddy. I'm not sure how far she wants to push it right now, but I'm sure we can get some pics anyways. :D
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

BTW, what year is your 4Runner? About 5 years ago I had a '90 that was a 2 door instead of a 4 door. I loved the damn thing, except the 3.slow. That damn engine took all the fun out of that generation for me. From there I moved up to a '97 Limited that had the 3.4 V6 and did a few mods to that. Now that thing had some get-up-and-go!! :lol:
VW337
Meatgician

Post by VW337 »

I think we've established that "Ka Ka" and "Tukki Tukki" don't work.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

The two-door models were pretty rare.

I have a 91' with the 3.slow.

I have noticed that highway takeovers can be painful, especially if I don't see a hill coming up but I was actually incredibly surprised by it's power out on the trails, in the mud and climbing some pretty sick stuff. Impressed might be a better word.

I have a 5spd manual and I'm sure that's part of why I wasn't feeling the lack of power much. I also noticed that it really loves the 3-4k RPM range for power generation, I was griding through some bad shit around that range no problem. "4lo" mode also whoops serious ass in certain situations :D

I think this engine is actually pretty damn excellent for a beginner offroader like myself.

Until I get really damn serious or I break it, the 3.slow will be more than sufficient for me.
Francious70
Half Baked

Post by Francious70 »

Mastiff wrote:
Francious70 wrote:Psh, you call that muddin?? This is muddin

You red neck that's not mudding thats just you gettin stuck ..... :P
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, that's true. But in my defense, I had to pull the Toyota out not five minutes later. Same rut too.
Boomshackalacka
twisted
Fordtough's Boyfriend

Post by twisted »

looks like a helluva lotta fun :D
were do you live fuzzy?
mr tibbs
Forum Goatee

Post by mr tibbs »

fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:The two-door models were pretty rare.

I have noticed that highway takeovers can be painful, especially if I don't see a hill coming up but I was actually incredibly surprised by it's power out on the trails, in the mud and climbing some pretty sick stuff. Impressed might be a better word.

I have a 5spd manual and I'm sure that's part of why I wasn't feeling the lack of power much. I also noticed that it really loves the 3-4k RPM range for power generation, I was griding through some bad shit around that range no problem. "4lo" mode also whoops serious ass in certain situations :D

I think this engine is actually pretty damn excellent for a beginner offroader like myself.

Until I get really damn serious or I break it, the 3.slow will be more than sufficient for me.
Have you checked out Yotatech.com? They have a lot of good info there for DIY mods and general Toyota stuff. It really is a kick ass site, might give you some ideas! :wink:
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

mr tibbs wrote:
fuzzysnuggleduck wrote:The two-door models were pretty rare.

Have you checked out Yotatech.com? They have a lot of good info there for DIY mods and general Toyota stuff. It really is a kick ass site, might give you some ideas! :wink:
I was reading that site for a while before I actually bought mine, but thanks anyways, it's always the thought that counts.
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

twisted wrote:looks like a helluva lotta fun :D
were do you live fuzzy?
I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with Tom.

These pics are from an area about 1 hour out of town called Waiparous.
Audiophiliac

Post by Audiophiliac »

Weak sauce....I spent wednesday in Moab on some real 4x4 trails....I got some gnarly pics too I will post later....and some jeep carnage...awesome! I am afraid I might get lured into starting up the hobby myself. Ouch....pocketbook! $$$

:)