SHOP PIC's - Catch up; NEW BIGGER OVEN AND MOVED FINALLY

Any non-electronic/automotive related discussion goes here. Current events, sports, music, etc.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

yes ^ yes and thank you !

been at shop till like 12-1am last few nights.
and coming home and sleeping right away

yes yes though thanks joerg!

matt
PAST WORK/S HERE::
https://www.facebook.com/KhameleonKoatings/photos_albums
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

yeah and now i have air delivery system from hell!

have to to be able to blast with any quickness, and efficiency

bought a new husky pro (off ebay) for 300 and free pick up!
i was stoked!!! Really stoked!
Attachments
100_0546 (Medium). tanks2.JPG
100_0546 (Medium). tanks2.JPG (67.71 KiB) Viewed 9608 times
Last edited by mhyde71 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

That shit's gotta be loud :lol:
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

stipud wrote:That shit's gotta be loud :lol:
I built a forced air ventilated closet for my 60 gallon. I built it into a corner so two of the walls were existing. The wall I built, without the door, I insulated with pink fiberglass. Open face facing inside the closet. Then covered the open face with metal window screen to keep it contained and safe. That compressor is now just a comforting hum.

Ps. Nice work Matt! You can never have too much air when you are sand blasting!

PPS. Those Gamewell boxes are worth some loot, don't undersell yourself on those.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

stipud wrote:That shit's gotta be loud :lol:
thats why you see billy there putting in the door... :wink:

neighbors complained when it would ( i would ) be running after 11pm. so i put on doors, and stuff. that resolved that- BUT when the new pump came in last week, i wanted the door to swing the other way- so i had billy swing the door and door jam around as you see in pic .
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

well finally got the fricken radiators done...!

fricken only took like 8 days! billing for 22 hours of blast time- not a bad job- but these suck to blast- hope to never see one come through door again!

m
Attachments
100_0591 (Medium).JPG
100_0591 (Medium).JPG (73.6 KiB) Viewed 9602 times
100_0590 (Medium).JPG
100_0590 (Medium).JPG (82.25 KiB) Viewed 9602 times
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Wow 8 days just to sandblast?
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

^^^ yeah i started out the job with just the one compressor... seeing how long (or extrapolating how long) it would take from doing one of them.. i said there aint no way imma sit here for 4 hours for just the one radiator - and that was on a smaller one... :oops: :cry: :evil:

worked out to 4 fins per hour said and done... there are to the likes of 93 or so fins all together... but i only billed for 22hrs.

SO/BUT given now the recently added compressor pump- what used to take me 3-4 hours, i now can do in 1-2,
BUT that is still for a smaller one of those (6-7 finned); but the larger 14-16 finned units still took 3-4 hours to complete.

those fuckers are nothing nice. have a close look at one next time yuou come across one and have a gander inside where there are sides that you can only reach from the opposing side- and when you have a nozzle that is 2" in diameter (not the output hole), but the dead-man valve itself you just cant get it in there, as there is only barely an 1" of space in between the finns.

suprised myself even back with the just the one pump and in how long it took- but called other blasters in area (outside the 60mile radius) and they all said they would just assume not to do them. BUT if they had to would be apprx same as me- now there is a guy in tewksbury that ius running like 100CFM diesel rotary screw pump- and he could prolly do them in 20-30 minutes- but i only have ball park of 25- as with the other guys in area also- BUT i only charge 40/hour; whereas the guy in tewksbury charges 125 hour- but can do, on a bad day, 4x the work i can on a good day. sp it's relative.

BUT yeah- long time man real long time sitting there in the sand box- BUT thats why i hired joe to do it and gave him some money and allowed me to sort out other things.

BUT i will say that it is starting to get even more frightening... whereas i am starting to get overwhelmed and just little distraught about all the work and inquiries i am getting... im, getting like at least 1 new job a day- whether it's a cast iron tea pot, set of rims off a Chevy 2500hd, or return customer with more outdoor furniture to match their initial coating work- it's starting to come in and pile up and just not able to keep up with it.

Just today i made out a list of work that needs to get done and did it like in a chronological order as 1) having been paid as #1's, and date of receipt as #2... and just from forum driven work I am backed up to the likes of 6+ jobs... and thats internet alone- and whats been received... there's still stuff in transit from members here and other forums, and it's just like getting to be a little scary that i am not able to keep up with it- I really need some organization and guidance, b/c i can not let things go like i have as of late. From the inception, i had reasons and excuses of trying to get things all on line... but now that the shop is somewhat on "cruise-control" as far as equipment is concerned and being on-line, with the exception of everyday use/breakdown of gear needing to be fixed, i should be able to pop these jobs in then out. AND not sure why i am unable to .. and it is leaving me feeling a little overwhelmed and like i am just spinning my wheels.

I started off by making a list today- and needing to stay to some kind of schedule or manor of starting something and finishing it... while it is sometimes difficult like when you run into needing this or that to finish something so you start something else- then something else arrives that can be done real quick (or so you thought) etc etc and before you know it and after 6-10-12 months of that- it starts to grow on you and feeling that im just spinning wheels....

having the shop hand around helps as it kinda help me stay on toes as i need to or am compelled to find stuff for him to do- BUT the time it takes him to do something i could maybe do in a fraction of the time. BUT he's learning and understand/appreciate that- but it also can kinda somewhat be a distraction to me as i am having to find stuff for him to do or make sure it's done right or fix the light he just broke- or whatever ya know- but i think it'll come in time for him... but it also costs money and i need to learn or get a better understanding of how to use time more wisely, mange it better-

TOM, tell you what- all expense paid trip lodging at local coating shop- come down for a week and get me straightened out and learn me some organizational and management skills, will ya?!??!?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

mhyde71 wrote:TOM, tell you what- all expense paid trip lodging at local coating shop- come down for a week and get me straightened out and learn me some organizational and management skills, will ya?!??!?
Haha... you think I know anything about that? Nah, I'm probably the biggest underachiever you know! ZERO entrepreneurial skills!

Sounds like what you may need is a small business loan, more staff and more gear to make your company grow. Take out books, read a lot online. It sounds like you've got grounds for a successful business now, you just have to take the next big leap before you can become really profitable.
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

sounds like you need to raise your prices. It would increase profits, and probably reduce a little biz as well. Isn't that what you want right now is more money and less work?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Re: SHOP PIC's KEEPING UP TO SPEED

Post by mhyde71 »

well guys lots of things have been happening in shop

biggest and perhaps the most exciting thing is that i have just acquired the local bus terminal from greyhound. It stands 40' x 12' and i will be converting it into a blast-booth for sandblasting

we have taken a number of calls from ppl wanting dump truck beds, plows, car frames, 12-16' trailers to be blasted... well we cant with what we have now...

so this here was damn near a free-bee... part of the deal was that i had to clean up the site in full and remove any/all things relating to Greyhouds terminal... which also mean the 4 1/4" steel cabinets that weigh upwards of 1500lbs collectively- which once i get them in my possession i will bring to scrap yard and will damn near cover the cost of the trailer i am having to pay out for it) - did that make sense...? anywho-

i am wiped out... i just got done shoveling the entire roof off, and all around the perimeter of the beast and i am feeling it-

but wanted to share and keep guys up to speed....but once weather breaks we will cut an end off and put in a bay or barn doors so that we can snake trailers, and the like, up in there to get sand-blasted...! :thumbs:

also wait tilll you ghuys see this pressure pot i made last month-
i took a 100# propane bottle and converted it into a sand blaster pressure pot- and it is a fricken monster-

then next up - i will take a 250#'er and do same thing and then sell this 8-bagger that i am using now.
Attachments
IMAG0478.jpg
ttocs
the Floor Sweeping Hack with Golden Ears

Post by ttocs »

how ya gonna move it?
what else can I say I am a grumpy asshole most of the time.
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

i have neighbor that moves trailers and mobil-homes for living... i will have to cover gas and shit... but were only moving it across the street- to a storage area a past land-lord (mark) of mine owns - a hardwood flooring company and he has a number of warehouses and space it can be stored safely w/o any trouble

joerg was there with me moving/closing the office down from my last business (Gift Books)- and, well that area... out behind where the office was. It'll only be until weather breaks and then we will re-group and see what the deal-io is- as no matter how short i cut it- it wont go in the shop space i have now... so the ideal scenario is that across the street where we're moving it to... that i end up moving shop there where marks motors is now- as they will be leaving by spring. 3000sq ft shop space... but fo rhow much you ask- idk... but mark is good guy and will work with me- just like he/we did last time.

yeah yeah
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

so moving forward on this trailer thing...

I had to scrap the 4 metal lock boxes that were left behind from greyhound.
Each box brought in 150 of scrap metal money... and i only paid 500 for the trailer
SO about covered the costs of the trailer with the scrap metal that was there.

last lock box was the biggest... netting 170.00 seen here the crane taking it away. 1060 lbs this thing weighed... dont ASk how we got it in the trailer- that should have been video recorded... oh well it wasnt.
Attachments
100_3996 (Large).JPG
100_3997 (Large).JPG
100_3997 (Large).JPG (67.4 KiB) Viewed 9531 times
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

well guys i got the trailer moved across the street to where the new shop location will be....

SO I will have pics of that here shortly

BUT i was and still am anxious to share wuth everyone what took place this past weekend.

I finally did it! I finally pulled the trigger on a real-io deal-io coating system...

Introducing the Nordson Surecoat
Picked it up outside of boston for 1/5 the past retail price....and GUESS WHAT- The system has 0hours on it (confirmed by checking computer stats on/from the board display)..

shot a few parts last night and the difference is really something else! so much more static feel to it, and i can truly tell a difference for sure...

I might still keep the older unit system... and just simply keep that available on the side to only apply clear coats... and only clear coat!

this should resolve any/all issues i have had from time to time with framed edging results, lack of coverage, faraday effects, etc etc - i am so-ooo pumped!
Attachments
100_4126 (Large).JPG
100_4126 (Large).JPG (66.5 KiB) Viewed 9514 times
100_4127 (Large).JPG
100_4127 (Large).JPG (60.9 KiB) Viewed 9514 times
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Niiice :hurr:
fuzzysnuggleduck
Soy Milquetoast

Post by fuzzysnuggleduck »

That crane is bad ass.
SOLD: '91 PG 4Runner
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

thx guys!

hey SO GET THIS GUYS!!!!
get this... so we get in the newspaper about the move of the greyhound trailer, and it becoming opurs to be made into a sand blast booth.... and was moved simply from across the street to our new shop space...

(see article)... FUNNY AS HELL THOUGH I TELL YA! funny as hell...
but i had Ted a guy working with me and the news guy asked about how many employees, or what was Teds role... and i said i started the business in Aug 09, and he came on shortly after that- like in beginning of winter...well they [he] interrupted that as being a "co-owner" funny... but what can you expect- it was a free write up...but nonetheless free ink in paper is free ink... and i know ppl saw it and read it- as it was the only thing worth reading on that page... and ppl have called and asked us about coating work since... that didn't know we existed ... so it's cool- im okay with it.. but just funny.

so pics of new space (albeit only from an outside view) + the location of trailer for now... we may put it flush with building and have access door using the garage door up at corner there by/behind dumpster.

SO the bottom line is this... we are currently in 2300 sf of space right now... will be moving into 2500 sf of space w/ the possibility down the road to go/grow into 4600sf... all of course this costs money... but for the initial move from 2300sf to 2500sf... i will only be paying 50$ more for the extra 200sf of space.

There is 8000sf in total available... but think that 1/3 or maybe 1/2 within the next year will do us just fine... and at .16 cents per sf as rental costs... i just cant let this pass. it is an opportunity of life time for space that cheap. downtown here (which i have looks and asked) but they get $17-$23 + per sf and i am at .16 cents! it's a no brainer and has great potential...

another plus is that we will have 3ph power there- so i can up my air and dust collection to be fitting, more in line, with the type of large work we are looking to get in once we get set up... hopefully in there by april 1
Attachments
100_4140 (Medium).JPG
100_4140 (Medium).JPG (67.73 KiB) Viewed 9482 times
100_4143 (Medium).JPG
100_4143 (Medium).JPG (79.46 KiB) Viewed 9482 times
100_4142 (Medium).JPG
100_4142 (Medium).JPG (73.15 KiB) Viewed 9482 times
100_4147 (Medium).JPG
100_4147 (Medium).JPG (37.52 KiB) Viewed 9482 times
100_4148 (Medium).JPG
100_4148 (Medium).JPG (75.47 KiB) Viewed 9482 times
GREYHOUND TRAILER cropped.JPG
dwnrodeo

Re: SHOP PIC's - WE MADE THE LOCAL PAPER !

Post by dwnrodeo »

That's awesome that you got some free press and advertising! Sounds like you even got more business already out of it, can't beat that.
XS2300, XS2500, XS2300, X200.4, X100.2, Ti21000.4, Roadster 66

I'm gonna become a civil engineer. I'm gonna design septic tanks for playgrounds. Little kids can take shits! You idiot, what the hell do you do?
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Wow slow news day in Brattleboro :lol:
JK

Post by JK »

I'm glad to see it's coming together for you.. Your a great guy who reaches out to many.. Even me!!:) I need to send you some work that I've been slacking on sending... I'm sure all will go good.. Thanks for all the help..
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

well - well guys... got a larger oven now too!!!

I built an extension piece - basically same thing as i had built before, but with no back... so now i can mate it up with the original <base> unit, and it turns into an oven that is twice the size of what i had before...! have a look!

matt
Attachments
100_4417 (Large).JPG
100_4414 (Large).JPG
100_4413 (Large).JPG
stipud
Voltage Ohms

Post by stipud »

Modular ovens? Sweet idea! So you can either run two small ovens or one big one? Does it leak a lot of heat?
mhyde71
Dr. Jekyll

Post by mhyde71 »

it's really an idea i came up with and would like to even consider trademarking or patenting...

when the tub came in through the door- and felt that all i needed was an extra inch or so... well i said ill just grab another filing cabinet and make an extension... BUT the thing with this is though is that if i was going to make one of these from scratch i would have done it differently from the beginning...

BUT i dont want to go into the specifics... given a public forum like this... but i think it has potential in the sense that with a little tweaking it can be set up or designed just as you expressed, or if not even better, and how wonderful idea it is...

I would like to call it the "Clam-Shell" Oven

coaters just starting up would love it, because they wouldn't have to shell out all kinds of big money to get off the ground... they could buy a base unit cheap, and as they grow, we would offer the extensions... I only mentioned i have and built this myself on other [coating] forums - and ppl are all-ready asking me about how much for one, they want one with 6' extension, etc etc - so i think there is some viable interest/market for stable ovens- yes indeed i believe so anyways.

It's absolutely fantabulous... Whereas if you have something small you remove the extension, if something larger- then you add extension... and depending on what the item is exactly- you may find that hanging the part with engine hoist or the like is the way to go so youre not trying to support 300#'s on the oven's top ceiling part...

BUT no tom- the extension can not be used independently... it is just an insulated shell...BUT if i were to add another extension... i would have to have some aux elements to assist with heat gievn the even larger space.

have a look !

as you can see (for those who know or are familiar with engine hoists) that the hoist is on backwards... you can see that i beefed it up a little with the flat bar strapping, and beefed up angle at base of hoist arm... that all was done so that you could clam shell the oven parts around the part...otherwise the legs of hoist would have prevented that from happening.

AND really, no... No large amounts of heat leaking, could it be better...tyeah perhaps... think if i was going to go into production of these we would use 4" walls vs. the 2" this was constructed with.... However takes longer to heat up, and can not get above 600*... but coating is done at 375/400 anyways... BUT in the same breath, you also dont have quite as big of a drop in temp when you open oven door. NOW i may add in a fan or two to swirl air around a little bit..but havent gotten there yet...

BUT yes! stackable ovens! I'm thinking it is a great idea!
Attachments
000_0274 (Large) (Medium).jpg
000_0274 (Large) (Medium).jpg (63.72 KiB) Viewed 9410 times
000_0276 (Large) (Medium).jpg
000_0276 (Large) (Medium).jpg (68.86 KiB) Viewed 9410 times
000_0277 (Large) (Medium).jpg
000_0277 (Large) (Medium).jpg (47.22 KiB) Viewed 9410 times
000_0278 (Large) (Medium).jpg
000_0278 (Large) (Medium).jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 9410 times
000_0279 (Large) (Medium).jpg
000_0279 (Large) (Medium).jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 9410 times
000_0280 (Large) (Medium).jpg
000_0280 (Large) (Medium).jpg (33.61 KiB) Viewed 9410 times
oldschoolfan

Post by oldschoolfan »

I heart DE-STA-CO clamps!